The VT Albums of the Year 2023

bickster

On 22/12/2023 at 12:15, MakemineVanilla said:

I am curious to know whether these picks of the year are actual purchases or streams.

Thanks!

All physical purchases i.e. CDs for me, wherever possible. Not a huge fan of digital only releases, I only do vinyl if I absolutely have to, and I don't use Spotify. If I want to listen to something I've not heard before on a kinda try-before-buy basis, I tend to do that from Bandcamp (he said, nervously aware of all the bullshit going on over there at the moment 😬).

• Like 2

On 23/12/2023 at 12:55, GarethRDR said:

All physical purchases i.e. CDs for me, wherever possible. Not a huge fan of digital only releases, I only do vinyl if I absolutely have to, and I don't use Spotify. If I want to listen to something I've not heard before on a kinda try-before-buy basis, I tend to do that from Bandcamp (he said, nervously aware of all the bullshit going on over there at the moment 😬).

Was not aware of any problems at Bandcamp and now looked this doesn’t look great :( 

Really like it as a platform and throughout the pandemic they did so much for artists/labels with the Bandcamp Fridays.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Was not aware of any problems at Bandcamp and now looked this doesn’t look great :( 

Really like it as a platform and throughout the pandemic they did so much for artists/labels with the Bandcamp Fridays.

The news about the lay-offs broke about a week after I'd gotten £100 in Bandcamp vouchers as a birthday gift, I panic-burned through that pretty quickly!  In terms of mechanics, not a great deal seems to have changed as of yet, but I'm dreading the inevitable full-bore enshittification.  If you've a sizeable collection, it'd be worth downloading it all at some point and storing locally.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

What's happened with Discogs?!

Discogs’ vibrant vinyl community is shattering

A home for music diehards has been fractured by increased fees that are pushing sellers and shoppers to other platforms.

Verge

It's also actually not working very well. The database hasn't clicked on the transition to the new format. Lots of incomplete searches.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Xann said:

Verge

It's also actually not working very well. The database hasn't clicked on the transition to the new format. Lots of incomplete searches.

Thanks. I had thought it had gone up in costs etc but I thought that was more to do with Brexit and import fees/tariffs more than anything.

Shame as Bandcamp and Discogs had been my recent favourite online music shopping.

The majority of the fat price rises in the UK are down to the Brexit mugs, but elsewhere the margins have been nibbled at to the extent it's not worth sellers listing the cheap stuff.

How good an album is isn't directly linked to the price. Some of the greatest albums were produced in great numbers, and aren't expensive.

• Like 2

2023 became a year where Saetia, Pagenintynine, City of Caterpillar, Jerome's Dream and Orchid all played shows during the year or announced shows for 2024. That's a statement not many genre fans would have believed at the start of the year, with Saetia even playing a couple of shows in England (please Orchid do the same!!). 

It's for that reason that for the first time in about 15 years I've been more invested in skramz and emo - and adjacent sounds - than any other genre of music (the other highlight being Kristin Hayter's final performance as Lingua Ignota taking place in London which despite some technical issues was great). 

Fortunate then that there were 3 really great releases to coincide with the resurfacing of those bands who to many felt lost to the annals of history, gaining an almost mythic status, which shows that perhaps the genre has some legs in it yet. 

Loma Prieta - Last

LomaPrieta-Last-Cover_800x.jpg

Portrayal of Guilt - Devil Music

portrayal-of-guilt-devils-music.jpg

Home Is Where - The Whaler 

CS987747-01A-BIG.jpg

Loma Prieta and Portrayal of Guilt just make great music that I always would have enjoyed, but it's The Whaler that took me back to that time I thought long gone the most. It's classic mid west emo with The Pine and The Hated influence thrown in, and it's really great - it's also a concept album around the events of 9/11 which bearing in mind that the height of these genres in America was the late 90s and very early 00s only serves to make it feel even more poignant. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

OHHMS – Rot

Though I tend to find their type of thing a bit of a struggle to get through, they once won me over with endearingly self-knowing patter, thus: [set opener ends] "...and now our second and final song!"

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Though I tend to find their type of thing a bit of a struggle to get through, they once won me over with endearingly self-knowing patter, thus: [set opener ends] "...and now our second and final song!"

Yeah certainly with the earlier albums that is true, although with the latest album the longest track is just under 7 minutes (as the album closer) so a lot leaner!

• Thanks 1

On 22/12/2023 at 11:01, bickster said:

Bonnacons of Doom
Under the radar Scouse electronic metallic depresionists sophomore release that improves on their debut’s formula

I've had about three days straight of just rinsing this one now, and yeah, superb👌

• Like 1

I must admit, I do envy you chaps who find so much new stuff to enjoy each year. I struggle to come up with more than two or three. 

Still discovering 'new old stuff', mind. 

• Like 1

Discovering "new" old stuff is great, too.  Couple of occasions back of visiting my folks, my Dad put me on to Isao Tomita's Snowflakes Are Dancing.  I'd never heard of it, loved it and genuinely had no idea that he was into that kind of thing, such was the totality of his musical consumption that I had witnessed growing up venturing no further than Dire Straits, Fine Young Cannibals or the Top Gun soundtrack.

Edited by GarethRDR

Another one I forgot from this year. Yo La Tengo - This Stupid World. I said it at the time that it was very Sonic Youth, I stand by that. It probably goes in the honourable mentions section as opposed to the big list.