Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

Crocodiles do not age. They just get bigger. A 70 year old croc is just as vigorous as a 5 year old, only bigger.
So how long do they live and why do they die in the end if they don't age?

Crocodiles do not age. They just get bigger. A 70 year old croc is just as vigorous as a 5 year old, only bigger.
So how long do they live and why do they die in the end if they don't age?

Mostly they either die of disease, starvation or from being killed by hunters.

Apparently they lack the gene that causes the ageing process. I heard about it from Prof Michio Kaku in

It is a fascinating lecture about some of the scientific breakthroughs that we can realistically expect in our lifetime. Such amazing things as internet spectacles (They already have working proto-types), internet wallpaper, Invisibilty cloaking , cancer warning systems in toilets, cheap genome sequencing, Micro chip aided telepathy (already in working use today) and much more .

The hour flew by for me, I found it that captivating.

Isnt this one of those things where scientists say bees cant fly (actually meaning they havent figured out why bees fly based on humans current understanding of physics) or that we only use 20% of our brain (meaning that we can only measure 20% of what is going on at the moment) rather than the concept that crocodiles dont age.

I suggest that we have no way of accurately measuring a crocodiles age rather than they dont age.

Pretty sure it was debunked that we only use 10% or 20% of our brain. We use all of our brain, some bits more consciously and for important things than other parts, but we use all of our brain.

Isnt this one of those things where scientists say bees cant fly (actually meaning they havent figured out why bees fly based on humans current understanding of physics) or that we only use 20% of our brain (meaning that we can only measure 20% of what is going on at the moment) rather than the concept that crocodiles dont age.

I suggest that we have no way of accurately measuring a crocodiles age rather than they dont age.

I tend to agree with you to be honest as you'd imagine that there would be a lucky few still around, who were thousands of years old.

Pretty sure it was debunked that we only use 10% or 20% of our brain. We use all of our brain, some bits more consciously and for important things than other parts, but we use all of our brain.

Yeah. But for years people believed it, when what was actually happening was that scientists just hadnt figured out a way of measuring what we use large parts of our brain for. Hence the comparison with supposedly immortal crocodiles.

Yeah. But for years people believed it, when what was actually happening was that scientists just hadnt figured out a way of measuring what we use large parts of our brain for. Hence the comparison with supposedly immortal crocodiles.

True. It's the human failing/superiority complex whereby 'because we don't know it, it doesn't exist yet'. It's why I refuse to believe the scientifically accepted limit of 'absolute zero' as a temperature. I 'get' the explanations. It just sounds very like today's flat earth society. We'll discover, or achieve, lower than that and then it'll be consigned to the rubbish bin with the rest of humanity's misconceptions.

Yeh that bee fact always puzzled me.

"It's physically impossible for a bee to fly"

My response was always "Well...it isn't, because they do"

This fact may be in this thread already, I may even have gotten it from this thread, but on the theme of bees:

If you move a bee hive to the other side of the world, when the bees leave the hive and fly round they'll be able to find their way back no problem.

If you move the hive 100 yards down the road, then they'll get lost and return to where the hive was originally.

True. It's the human failing/superiority complex whereby 'because we don't know it, it doesn't exist yet'. It's why I refuse to believe the scientifically accepted limit of 'absolute zero' as a temperature. I 'get' the explanations. It just sounds very like today's flat earth society. We'll discover, or achieve, lower than that and then it'll be consigned to the rubbish bin with the rest of humanity's misconceptions.

By definition absolute zero is the point where there is absolutely no heat, what's so scientifically ambiguous about that?

what's so scientifically ambiguous about that?

The notion that we can't go lower than that. I don't accept the limitation.

I've always not understood the notion that we can't go faster than the speed of light.

Obviously we'll never be advanced enough to actually travel that fast. But as I understand it, even if we had somethign powerful enough, we would be physically unable to go faster than the speed of light.

It's only a speed, why can't we go more than that?

Â