Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

The population is going up by a billion people every twelve years or so. The population was about 4.5 billion when I was born, its about 7 billion today. I am 32 years old.

Another insane (ish) stat is the population of America. I guess because the population of the UK has been about 60m for donkeys years then I always just assumed that the population of most other "developed" countries was locked too and the population increase was largely down to the eradication of disease from third world nations.

Remember the episode of The Simpsons where George Bush snr moved next door to Homer? He quoted the population of America was 250m in that episode ("I have 250m bosses") which was, what, the early 1990s? Its 310m today. How has that happened? Immigration has to be a factor, but the country has grown by the population of the UK in about twenty years. Mind boggling.

I believe that's "nun in bed" earlier in the thread but it's still a good fact.

Antarctica contains about 90 percent of the world's ice and 70 percent of its fresh water. Antarctica is covered with ice an average of 7,000 feet thick. If all of the Antarctic ice melted, sea levels around the world would rise about 61 meters

The Bulgarian Army is the only force in the world which never lost a single flag, although it actively participated in all major wars in Europe since the end of the 19th century.

The Bulgarian Army is the only force in the world which never lost a single flag.

Is that military jargon that I dont understand, or are they saying that the Bulgarian people are exceptionally good at looking after rectangular shaped bits of cloth?

Oh, and the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament logo/"peace" sign?

MYerS.gif

Took its design from the semaphore signals for the letters N & D.

Approximately 1.300.000 is the total number of Icelandic people to have existed, according to calculations made recently. Given that we are about 310.000 now that is really small number.

The Bulgarian Army is the only force in the world which never lost a single flag.

Is that military jargon that I dont understand, or are they saying that the Bulgarian people are exceptionally good at looking after rectangular shaped bits of cloth?

Oh, and the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament logo/"peace" sign?

MYerS.gif

Took its design from the semaphore signals for the letters N & D.

Actually I believe its the latter. They didn't lose their standard at any time, or any flags, incredible really.

Actually I believe its the latter. They didn't lose their standard at any time, or any flags, incredible really.

It's not that impressive though, is it? The British Empire and the USA stormed the beaches on D-Day, but at least Bulgaria never lost any of their flags!

I have read up on this Bulgaria thing because it seems like it has to be military jargon or its the least impressive boast of all time.

"losing a flag" generally means you have had your flag captured by the enemy, which tends to happen after you have lost a battle. So basically the Bulgarian army claim they have never lost a battle.

I have read up on this Bulgaria thing because it seems like it has to be military jargon or its the least impressive boast of all time.

"losing a flag" generally means you have had your flag captured by the enemy, which tends to happen after you have lost a battle. So basically the Bulgarian army claim they have never lost a battle.

Yes, sounds a bit strange. I can't believe that modern warfare is liek a game of capture the flag on Call of Duty. Do they stick a flag in the ground and then all gather round to protect it? If they did and the US bombed the bejaysus out of them from above, does that not count if the flag wasn't actually captured?

When we invaded Afghanistan, did we stick a Union Jack in the ground and say "guard the **** out of that, I'm not having the Bulgarians beating us at standard guarding".

All sounds a bit meaningless really.

I think it means that if they have claimed territory by force then they have never had it taken away from them by force. I'm not really sure what it means in the real world, because if things get nasty these days then you basically want to be on the side that NATO is on and you do not (under any circumstances) want to fall out with the USA. Having a nuke is pretty handy too I guess.

I think we could take Bulgaria if we had to.

Â