Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

I still want to know if chavs consider themselves to be chavs.

Every other tribe seems to have worn its badge with pride - teds, mods, rockers, hippies, skins, punks, rude boys, etc., etc.

But I've never heard/seen "We are chavs".

There were about 4 people at my school who would dress up like chavs on purpose (trackies with high white socks and trainers) I guess with the intention of trying to look 'ard and to be fair they did live on a commissioner's estate. Perhaps it's just a Manx thing.
Yes, but did they actually refer to themselves as chavs?

You just don't see "Chavs rool" on walls, do you?

They'd have something to the effect of 'Chav and proud' on their Bebo/Facebook page if that is credible?
That's what I mean. Every other yoof culture "names" itself. I'm not convinced that chavs actually think of themselves as chavs - perhaps because the term originated with other people, as an insult.

Berlin has the 2nd highest population of Turks in the world, making it Turkeys unofficial second city

That's not true.

You could say it has the second highest population of Turks in Europe and it might be true because Istanbul aside, Turkey is in Asia.

qmycA.gif

Ankara is the capital of Turkey (mostly because we occupied Istanbul for so long after WW1) and the population of that is larger than the population of Berlin when you include all the German and other non Turkish people living there.

Izmir is home to some 3.25m people. Berlin has a population of about 3.5m. I'm guessing here, but more Turkish people live in Izmir.

They say there are about 250k Turks living within the city limits of Berlin and plenty more lving in the metropolitan area. There are at least 25 or 30 places in Turkey with larger populations than that.

Berlin has the 2nd highest population of Turks in the world, making it Turkeys unofficial second city

That's not true.

You could say it has the second highest population of Turks in Europe and it might be true because Istanbul aside, Turkey is in Asia.

qmycA.gif

Ankara is the capital of Turkey (mostly because we occupied Istanbul for so long after WW1) and the population of that is larger than the population of Berlin when you include all the German and other non Turkish people living there.

Izmir is home to some 3.25m people. Berlin has a population of about 3.5m. I'm guessing here, but more Turkish people live in Izmir.

They say there are about 250k Turks living within the city limits of Berlin and plenty more lving in the metropolitan area. There are at least 25 or 30 places in Turkey with larger populations than that.

Youve done me

Yeah but surely that means there are more Turks in Berlin (in Europe) than any other place in Europe SAVE Istanbul? Which is half in Europe?

Well Chicago is supposed to have more polish people in the greater metro area than any city in Poland making it the worlds largest polish city.

Even now, New York City, with c. 420k residents claiming Irish heritage, is close behind Dublin (500k-ish less 75k foreign-born = 425k-ish) in the largest Irish city race. It wasn't that long ago that there were more Irish in New York City than in Ireland.

Well Chicago is supposed to have more polish people in the greater metro area than any city in Poland making it the worlds largest polish city.

Even now, New York City, with c. 420k residents claiming Irish heritage, is close behind Dublin (500k-ish less 75k foreign-born = 425k-ish) in the largest Irish city race. It wasn't that long ago that there were more Irish in New York City than in Ireland.

A lot of those people are about as Irish as Andy Townsend and Mark Larwenson though, aren't they?

A lot of those people are about as Irish as Andy Townsend and Mark Larwenson though, aren't they?

Definitely, but you'd imagine there are others who are Irish and don't know it. So the numbers would in a sense correct themselves.

Turning up at a Village fete which has boating activities dressed as aa Somali pirate does not go down very well.
Is that like a black Johnny Depp?

Definitely, but you'd imagine there are others who are Irish and don't know it. So the numbers would in a sense correct themselves.

IMHO, if they were born in the US, and they "don't know they're Irish", they ain't Irish.

I know you can't just go by place of birth (people get born on holidays, etc.), but generally speaking, where you're born and raised is your nationality.

My dad was Dublin born and bred, but I'm no more Irish than I am Japanese.

That's unquantifiable, surely?

It's something I just find odd, how people define who they are. Maybe it's just the in laws here or something, but I see people who's parents were both Indian but they were born here go to great lengths to point out that they are British, but hear about people in the States who have one Irish grandparent insist that they are not American. It's very strange.

That's unquantifiable, surely?

Well of course it is. I'm just saying that anyone in the total who shouldn't be there might reasonably be replaced (in some non-existant 'correct' figure) by someone who is not currently in it. That's all. It's not (it can't be) scientific. It's just a law of averages type dealy.

IMHO, if they were born in the US, and they "don't know they're Irish", they ain't Irish.

I know you can't just go by place of birth (people get born on holidays, etc.), but generally speaking, where you're born and raised is your nationality.

My dad was Dublin born and bred, but I'm no more Irish than I am Japanese.

Ah so.

dohyo-iri.gif

Â