Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

That's strange, is it some running industry gag? I'd like to know the back story on that one...

I recon it's probably the same props supply company in each of these movies/shows and they have a standard prop for 'newspaper'.

You wouldn't want a real paper with dates and signifcant stories on it, plus there would be royalties to pay and it would be a pain in the but to knock up a whole page of text and photos each time from scratch.

Heres a fun fact my home town of Thunder Bay Ontario is 751 km or about 468 Miles from the nextn earest Major city east west or south :). We are about 110,000 people so we arnt small just kinda in the middle of no where. Pretty much almost the distance from tip to tip in England if im not Mistaken :P.

The province of Manitoba is the size of two United Kingdom. Total population? 1.1 million. The UK has around 70 million so they would ahve 140mill give or take in the same space. Of the 1.1 million almost 1million are in one city alone :P. Gotta love Canada :P

Heres a fun fact my home town of Thunder Bay Ontario is 751 km or about 468 Miles from the nextn earest Major city east west or south :). We are about 110,000 people so we arnt small just kinda in the middle of no where. Pretty much almost the distance from tip to tip in England if im not Mistaken :P.

It's about 550km to Minneapolis (which with its twin city of St. Paul has a metro area population of 2.8-3.5m, depending on the definition)

Stpaul001.jpg

the Twin Cities are perhaps rather interesting, in that St. Paul is often held to be the last Eastern city in the USA (it is the furthest west place of significant population on the eastern bank of the Mississippi River) while Minneapolis is the first Western city.

The same newspaper prop is used by many different American film and TV shows:

newspapers_in_tv_640_17.jpg

A Murder of Crows

newspapers_in_tv_640_19.jpg

Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy

newspapers_in_tv_640_20.jpg

No Country for Old Men

newspapers_in_tv_640_22.jpg

Dallas

newspapers_in_tv_640_21.jpg

Power Rangers Zeo

newspapers_in_tv_640_23.jpg

Married... With Children

newspapers_in_tv_640_24.jpg

Angel

newspapers_in_tv_640_25.jpg

Charmed

newspapers_in_tv_640_27.jpg

Malcolm in the Middle

newspapers_in_tv_640_26.jpg

Six Feet Under

newspapers_in_tv_640_28.jpg

Lucky Louie

newspapers_in_tv_640_29.jpg

Smith

newspapers_in_tv_640_30.jpg

Everybody Hates Chris

newspapers_in_tv_640_32.jpg

Desperate Housewives

newspapers_in_tv_640_38.jpg

newspapers_in_tv_640_39.jpg

Scrubs

This in turn may well add more shows to the Westphallian Universe.

That's strange, is it some running industry gag? I'd like to know the back story on that one...

this was in the papers a couple of weeks ago.

The article goes on to explain that production companies use prop newspapers instead of real newspapers to avoid getting clearance from an actual publication. Of course, we already knew that. Slate claims that “prop masters buy a stack of Earl Hays fake papers, which cost just $15 each. Sometimes if they have some left over they’ll recycle them for another job.”

Read more: More Information About The Recurring Prop Newspaper | /Film http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/09/more-information-about-the-reoccurring-prop-newspaper/#ixzz0usAxxeWV

The speed record for helicopters is 249.09mph, set in 1986 by a stripped out British Westland Lynx. It is a record that is unlikely to be bettered thanks to the limitations of the way helicopters work.

Pff, flat earther :P

;)

Apparently it is true however, the tech involved in making a helicopter fly is pretty much at the top end of it's ability, and has been for a while - they can only go so quick, and the record (a, cough, British one ;)) will likely continue to stand. It's already been unbeaten for 24 years, and the only way they got it to go that quick was to strip it out to the point it wouldn't be much use for anything other than going quickly.

Surprising how limited helicopters are.

The speed record for helicopters is 249.09mph, set in 1986 by a stripped out British Westland Lynx. It is a record that is unlikely to be bettered thanks to the limitations of the way helicopters work.

Pff, flat earther :P

;)

Apparently it is true however, the tech involved in making a helicopter fly is pretty much at the top end of it's ability, and has been for a while - they can only go so quick, and the record (a, cough, British one ;)) will likely continue to stand. It's already been unbeaten for 24 years, and the only way they got it to go that quick was to strip it out to the point it wouldn't be much use for anything other than going quickly.

Surprising how limited helicopters are.

So you've never watched Airwolf then ?

The term "honeymoon" is derived from the Babylonians who declared mead, a honey-flavored wine, the official wedding drink, they also stated that the bride's parents were required to keep the groom supplied with the drink for the month following the wedding.

How times have changed!

Meade was thought to have magical powers of virility & fertility. You had to drink it until the next full moon if you wanted to have kids, that's where 'honeymoon' came from.

I can vaguely remember some episodes, but before my time. I always thought it took the rules of the world with an enormous pinch of salt, like only TV can.

Very true , the good old 80's when we had A-Team , Knight Rider, Street Hawk and Airwolf making us believe we were invinsible . God i wish i was 8 again :lol:

The term "honeymoon" is derived from the Babylonians who declared mead, a honey-flavored wine, the official wedding drink, they also stated that the bride's parents were required to keep the groom supplied with the drink for the month following the wedding.

How times have changed!

Or not! My cousin got married last month, and they had a months supply of honey mead as a gift. Every guest in the room got a bottle too.

It's about 550km to Minneapolis (which with its twin city of St. Paul has a metro area population of 2.8-3.5m, depending on the definition)

Stpaul001.jpg

the Twin Cities are perhaps rather interesting, in that St. Paul is often held to be the last Eastern city in the USA (it is the furthest west place of significant population on the eastern bank of the Mississippi River) while Minneapolis is the first Western city.

O wow your right I always thought it was farther haha. Though like a good Canadian we measure distance in time. So its takes 7hours to drive there :P Which is not that much shorter than driving the 750km to Winnipeg. :P Been there many of times its a great city :)

The P51 Mustang, the famous (and arguably best) fighter plane of WW2, was the first fighter aircraft to feature intentionally designed laminar flow wings (laminar flow being the flow of air over the wing with the least possible amount of turbulence, meaning the 'smoothest' cutting of the air by the wing).

Lisa Simpson gets married today.

tumblr_l6g8dcFp951qcu6sso1_500.jpg

I like it when we 'catch up' to a day in the future. I remember watching that episode when it first aired, maybe 97 or 98? It was only recently we hit a date Doc put into his time machine (though he didn't actually go to that date, it was eventually 5 years later).

Since I first saw BTTF II i've always wanted to watch it again on new years day 2015 and see how wrong they've gotten it, like most portrayals of the future, looks like flying cars are gonna be a no no

Â