The Aviation Thread

maqroll

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Serious answer is that when they're learning they need to be close to an airfield in case they **** up, and they're probably paying for an hour's lesson, so can't go far anyway, and landing and take off are the tricky parts, so they might well do several circuits and bumps in their hour.

Less serious answer - to annoy the locals

Yep. It is clocking up the hours and you can’t fly to Belfast to learn how to fly. Completely get that.

They have three choices here, they can fly over the water, and I can see how that could be an issue for a learner (not least its the flight path for the passenger planes). They can fly over countryside, of which there is ample around here in the Vale. Or, they can fly tight circles around the built up town. My simple brain, would say learn to fly over the fields, worst case scenario you can ditch in a field, kill yourself, scare the cows. But there is a constant procession of farts little planes over the town. Should anything ever happen, which is a vanishingly small chance, I foresee an amazed HSE or whoever suddenly realising that it probably was never the optimum option.

Just now, tonyh29 said:

you were doing so well in this thread until then ..... :) 

Especially in winter, when it's dark, wet and windy, I swear the Air Traffic controllers who control the barriers hate cyclists like you do - they'd take ages to raise them after the jet's gone, or lower them ages before the jet gets anywhere near if they saw a cyclist approaching. clearings in the woods!

Just now, blandy said:

Especially in winter, when it's dark, wet and windy, I swear the Air Traffic controllers who control the barriers hate cyclists like you do - they'd take ages to raise them after the jet's gone, or lower them ages before the jet gets anywhere near if they saw a cyclist approaching. clearings in the woods!

I think we do have some northern blood in our family somewhere , guess I've just found out where they are without having to go through ancestory.com  :) 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep. It is clocking up the hours and you can’t fly to Belfast to learn how to fly. Completely get that.

They have three choices here, they can fly over the water, and I can see how that could be an issue for a learner (not least its the flight path for the passenger planes). They can fly over countryside, of which there is ample around here in the Vale. Or, they can fly tight circles around the built up town. My simple brain, would say learn to fly over the fields, worst case scenario you can ditch in a field, kill yourself, scare the cows. But there is a constant procession of farts little planes over the town. Should anything ever happen, which is a vanishingly small chance, I foresee an amazed HSE or whoever suddenly realising that it probably was never the optimum option.

The airfield will have a defined circuit, and that's what they'll be following. They're probably newish learners, and when they get a bit better they'll do what you say there. While they're very green, though they will just be taught and monitored for ability to go where they're told, rather than dither about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

And Manchester Airport Air park has one of our old jets on it, and it makes me sad every time I see it (though I've not been to the park, just seen it from the windows of a taxiing airliner). I might go and have a proper look, at some point just for old times sake.

The one with the big nose?

When I was a kid we used to spent summers at RAF (and USAF) camps in Germany, such as Saarbrucken.

Man, the main aircraft of choice, taking off and landing all day everyday was the Lockheed Starfighter. Now that was a noise! Just insanely loud. But then I guess we were in the field at the end of the runway.

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

When I was a kid we used to spent summers at RAF (and USAF) camps in Germany, such as Saarbrucken.

Man, the main aircraft of choice, taking off and landing all day everyday was the Lockheed Starfighter. Now that was a noise! Just insanely loud. But then I guess we were in the field at the end of the runway.

It's completely subjective memory, because you kind of forget from one to the next, but the loudest things I've heard, I reckon are a Vulcan practicing air display, a Nimrod at Gibraltar on an early, still, morning with the rock reflecting the noise back and then multiple tonkers taking off in a three with their burners on - all wake the dead loud.

And for body feel, standing underneath the wing of a Nimrod for an all 4 EGR to max. I'm supposedly there, with the fire extinguisher trolley as "safety", but basically I'm just hoping not to die from the noise and vibration. Deeply unpleasant.

But yeah, those 70s and 80s jets - Starfighters, Phantoms and stuff. Insanely loud.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

Vulcan

yeah I remember them being loud ,The  F16 was  one of the nosiest I recall hearing but was a long time ago and my memory could be playing tricks on me 

at the last Farnborough show I went to  they put a Typhoon  through its paces and that was pretty cool from a noise perspective as was the F-35 

26 minutes ago, blandy said:

Nope. XV231.

Remember the AEW’s at Finningley in the 80’s.

Best journey I had was in a F4 from Leuchars back in 1988.  Before that Chipmunks and Provosts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The  F16 was  one of the nosiest I recall hearing but was a long time ago and my memory could be playing tricks on me 

That's the thing I mean - it's impossible to "know" - you just know at the time "that's **** loud". And F-16s are loud. They all are. Generally I reckon the two or 4 engine jets are louder than single engine ones, but then you factor in burners on fighters and that ramps it up. So say a Phantom 2 Spey engines with burners v Nimrod 4 Spey engines without burners...

13 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm surprised they never tried to bring back Concorde.  It was only the French one that blew up.  I'd have thought these days there would be a load of demand to get across the Atlantic in a few hours.

They probably could make design and hardware improvements but the simple cost of fuel probably torpedoes enthusiasm. But as a non commercial venture for some Richard Branson type, sure why not, other than the embarrassing amount of carbon you'd spunk into the atmosphere for joy riding.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's completely subjective memory, because you kind of forget from one to the next, but the loudest things I've heard, I reckon are a Vulcan practicing air display, a Nimrod at Gibraltar on an early, still, morning with the rock reflecting the noise back and then multiple tonkers taking off in a three with their burners on - all wake the dead loud.

And for body feel, standing underneath the wing of a Nimrod for an all 4 EGR to max. I'm supposedly there, with the fire extinguisher trolley as "safety", but basically I'm just hoping not to die from the noise and vibration. Deeply unpleasant.

But yeah, those 70s and 80s jets - Starfighters, Phantoms and stuff. Insanely loud.

What’s a tonker?

I’ve worked on (civil) engine test beds. We were at the commissioning stage of a brand new purpose built test facility for the Ge90 engine.

With an engine running in the facility we were sent down to a small housing estate to discreetly take some sound measurements for what they were calling ‘sub sound’ which by their description humans couldn’t hear but it made you feel sick in the stomach.

We got down there and had to report that we hadn’t yet done the test, but could report everyone was out in their gardens because their windows were vibrating.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

When I want some peace and quiet, and I know no one else would want to go with me, I go to Manchester Airport Air Park. I look at planes and it's bliss. They have a Concorde there too. At some point I know a member of the family will say they will come "to keep me company".

Was there recently with my lad, we are true geeks.

20230904_121356.jpg

• Like 2

There’s something called the “hush house” at work. Concrete building with immensely thick walls, immensely thick doors, immensely thick glass inside between the control room and the hangar part, and then a special exhaust chimney. A jet can be in there, running engines at max and apart from fairly low level noise you can hold a conversation at normal level just outside.

IMG_1812.jpeg

• Like 2

Â