Midweek Football 3/6 October

andykeenan

David De Gea is not the answer to United's goal keeper problem. They didn't renew his contract because he was terrible. Onana being no better is not a reason to give him the multi million pound contract he wanted.

It's also exactly the kind of thing I expect United to do given how they're currently run

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

Just now, Genie said:

I’d have thought plenty of teams in Spain or England would have him as number 1. He must be pricing himself out of a deal (as you say, he’s probably ready to retire).

Real went for Kepa over him which says it all and Sevilla signed Nyland instead of him

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

David De Gea is not the answer to United's goal keeper problem. They didn't renew his correct because he was terrible. Onana being no better is not a reason to give him the multi million pound contract he wanted.

It's also exactly the kind of thing I expect United to do given how they're currently run

He won the golden glove last season, playing behind Harry Maguire

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He won the golden glove last season, playing behind Harry Maguire

Yes but in the 19 games where he didn't keep  clean sheet, United managed to concede 43 goals. Maguire only played in 5 of the games where they kept a clean sheet also.

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Yes but in the 19 games where he didn't keep  clean sheet, United managed to concede 43 goals. Maguire only played in 5 of the games where they kept a clean sheet also.

The same as Alison and Ramsdale.

He was hounded out of the club, and now they’ve spent £50m for a keeper who can play the ball out, who can’t actually play the ball out.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He was hounded out of the club, and now they’ve spent £50m for a keeper who can play the ball out, who can’t actually play the ball out.

Yup, but like I said, onana being shit, doesn't make De Gea the answer. He wasn't at the time of renewal, and isn't now.

The extent of their poor management is colossal. From top to bottom, they are making mistake after mistake.

I'm intrigued to see where it ends, and whether their billion pound turnover will just let them reclaim their top tier status. One less club for us to compete with is no bad thing.

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

was he hounded out of the club? His contract expired and they couldnt agree a new deal

De Gea hasnt found a new club so think issue might be on his side financially

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

was he hounded out of the club? His contract expired and they couldnt agree a new deal

De Gea hasnt found a new club so think issue might be on his side financially

He was very much looking for his last pay day. I suspect wanted either too much or too long ... or possibly both. 

He'd been there 12 years though! Can't believe it was that long. 

1 hour ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Audio from the VAR crew regarding the liverpool offside claim is truly truly damning

It could've been sinister, which I was half expecting, but it's still bad. They are under a lot of pressure, but that can never happen, ever. They'd made the correct decision! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It could've been sinister, which I was half expecting, but it's still bad. They are under a lot of pressure, but that can never happen, ever. They'd made the correct decision! 

Agreed, I'm not sure I see it as damning. It's about the best it could possibly come across.

The fact it was a genuine accident (with a lot of process driven failures). PGMOL do seem to strongly be pushing the individual human error line, but I think they need to take much more of the blame there. (No matter how tired Daz was from his UAE refereeing trip).

• Like 2

On 03/10/2023 at 06:38, maqroll said:

I agree 100%, but we are bafflingly in the minority on that. 

I've been in the front seat right next to you when it comes to that bandwagon. Insufferable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Agreed, I'm not sure I see it as damning. It's about the best it could possibly come across.

The fact it was a genuine accident (with a lot of process driven failures). PGMOL do seem to strongly be pushing the individual human error line, but I think they need to take much more of the blame there. (No matter how tired Daz was from his UAE refereeing trip).

Its farcical how they communicated, it was all very rushed and this caused them to make the incompetent mistake they did. one of the journos on Sky sports news back pages made an interesting point, he mentioned that if this is the deliberation process which happens when they mess up, how many more have they realised they goofed up and then tried to smooth it over with a "sorry we must do better message"? to me it was crazy how bad that decision was, i would be furious! they do need to improve this aspect and commnicate more with the fans, fair play to them for releasing the audio but i think they were forced into it with this one due to the nature of the farce

6 hours ago, MrBlack said:

He was very much looking for his last pay day. I suspect wanted either too much or too long ... or possibly both. 

He'd been there 12 years though! Can't believe it was that long. 

And he was already the highest paid keeper in the world on a rumoured £350k a week

He was a good keeper to be fair but paid like an absolute elite one that he simply wasn't

I don't think utd hounded him out they simply couldn't justify him any more, they don't want to be Woodwards utd but at the same time them not even flirting with martinez says to me they're not Fergies utd either

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Its farcical how they communicated, it was all very rushed and this caused them to make the incompetent mistake they did. one of the journos on Sky sports news back pages made an interesting point, he mentioned that if this is the deliberation process which happens when they mess up, how many more have they realised they goofed up and then tried to smooth it over with a "sorry we must do better message"? to me it was crazy how bad that decision was, i would be furious! they do need to improve this aspect and commnicate more with the fans, fair play to them for releasing the audio but i think they were forced into it with this one due to the nature of the farce

Yes, but that isn't damning in my view. It shows its a poor process. And they've perhaps been lucky not to have made such a fundamental error before. Also perhaps explains some of the other poor decisions that have happened given the rush they appear to have been forced into due to fans getting annoyed at the delays.

Damning would be if they'd not even realised that they'd made a mistake, or if the chat made it clear that they didn't care about the mistake, or made it clear that actually it wasn't an accident.

Yes there could well be many more they got wrong and swept under the carpet, but they've already been covered to the nth degree without us knowing the details in the press,  and is one of the reasons VAR was already being ridiculed.

Â