January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

Just now, nick76 said:

Again I don’t think that’s true, Sheff Utd had three against us when we played them.  Somebody did show the rules and it made sense but I can’t remember fully but something to do with domestic vs foreign loans.

Maybe it's 2 from each then 2 from each = 8 over two windows. Read something about changing to 7 in and 7 out max next season then 6 the following. Very confusing

• Like 1

As before I’d still love some big signings Frimpong being the one and if we sign Ngonge for about £15 mil then great. 

If we can’t sign someone like Frimpong I’m happy for us spend some of that money on the likes of Ronnie Edward’s, Jonathan Rowe, Adam Wharton, Jacob Greaves, Hayden Hackney, Miles Leaburn however spurious or non existent those links may be. 

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Some teams top scorers are not "strikers", they're attacking forwards like Son and Bowen and Watkins. Rashford previous seasons. Diaby could be fine if called upon or Watkins doesn't get injured and the dozens of "Watkins gets injured" posts if you search the phrase in forum come to nothing

Watkins will 100% not be able tp start every game until the end of May. Thats my point.

We are lucky in that he isn't seemingly injury prone but he will pick up knocks, suspensions, fatigue etc as the season draws on. 

We have nobody to cover him.

No doubt this has already been said, but its like that season with MON at the helm all over again when we were perfectly poised going into January to challenge for the top 4, to finally grab a prized top 4 place and have a real chance at then building on it and becoming one of the big boys of the league.

We then royally **** it up. I'll probably actually cry if we mess it up again.....these chances don't come about too often! 

I know we are quite stretched for FFP, but surely we have some money to play with? We need back up GK, a quality RB, another Striking option, and better midfield cover than Donk. There's no way we can afford all of that unless Monchi has got some miracles to pull out of his hat, and so we probably have to prioritise 2 of the 4 of those, and even that's being optimistic. For me, if Watkins or Martinez get injured and are out for any length of time then that's our chances over with, and so those are the positions we try to strengthen.

Its so exciting to know we are now in with a real fight to bring big European nights back to VP next season..... regardless of the outcome it is so god damn satisfying to be fighting at the business end of the league for once

39 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

We have nobody to cover him.

Who says Diaby, Bailey, Zaniolo can't cover him. Liverpool have Nunez can't score for toffee and they still get goals. I don't generally pay attention to Steve Nicol on ESPN but he's right today saying Havertz has upset the apple cart and made Arsenal worse. Why do you imagine this unicorn "striker" cover player would be better than attacking forwards we already have that know Emery system inside and out?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Moreno is probably one of the best that I can remember in terms of impact.

Honestly, Young didn't come good until the following season. AFAICR he didn't score until the last game of the season against Sheffield Utd maybe?

Can't be arsed to check because I know someone from VT will be along to correct me :D

I remember him scoring against… Newcastle? For some reason, no idea when that was. Felt like him and Carew made an instant impact… my memory is probably failing me though 😆

edit. Oh, a few have already covered it! I was actually right?! 😂

Edited by Jas10

24 minutes ago, carlitobrigante said:

No doubt this has already been said, but its like that season with MON at the helm all over again when we were perfectly poised going into January to challenge for the top 4, to finally grab a prized top 4 place and have a real chance at then building on it and becoming one of the big boys of the league.

MON was a **** clown that left team tactics to Robertson. Emery is an elite manager. It's not remotely similar

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Who says Diaby, Bailey, Zaniolo can't cover him. Liverpool have Nunez can't score for toffee and they still get goals. I don't generally pay attention to Steve Nicol on ESPN but he's right today saying Havertz has upset the apple cart and made Arsenal worse. Why do you imagine this unicorn "striker" cover player would be better than attacking forwards we already have that know Emery system inside and out?

Because we need Bailey and Diaby to be doing THEIR jobs in addition to a striker. 

Im not looking for a unicorn striker (whatever that is) either, and never said I was. 

I think its perfectly reasonable to want a 2nd, reliable striker at a club aiming to finish in the CL places. You keep going on about being in the title race but simultaneously dissing the notion of buying a back up stiker to help get us there.

The suggestion its a crazy idea to look at a solid acquisition uo front is mental in my view.

As it is, I think we can get by and finish 5th. I think another striker as back up to Ollie could be worth another place or 2. 

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 1

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

I think its perfectly reasonable to want a 2nd, reluabke striker at a club aiming to finish in the CL places. You keep going on about being in the title race but simultaneously dissing the notion of buying a back up stiker to help get us there.

The suggestion its a crazy idea to look at a solid acquisition uo front is mental in my view.

Join the queue because loads of clubs want this unicorn player. Diaby not starting, why can't he play striker if needed. You know he was striker all PSG youth and Emery when we signed him said he wanted him because he can play all front 3 positions. Left and right attack and striker. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, carlitobrigante said:

We then royally **** it up. I'll probably actually cry if we mess it up again.....these chances don't come about too often! 

I know we are quite stretched for FFP, but surely we have some money to play with? We need back up GK, a quality RB, another Striking option, and better midfield cover than Donk. There's no way we can afford all of that unless Monchi has got some miracles to pull out of his hat, and so we probably have to prioritise 2 of the 4 of those, and even that's being optimistic. For me, if Watkins or Martinez get injured and are out for any length of time then that's our chances over with, and so those are the positions we try to strengthen.

Its so exciting to know we are now in with a real fight to bring big European nights back to VP next season..... regardless of the outcome it is so god damn satisfying to be fighting at the business end of the league for once

There is zero comparison really… MON basically used the same 11 players and bigged them up, inflating the egos of players like Gabby and Young, while marginalising the rest of the squad and treating individuals like shit or outright ignoring them. He made a lot of mistakes and wasted a lot of money on tripe…

Lerner gave him free reign and he basically abused it and wasted the opportunity…

Despite those times being enjoyable for fans… it’s worth analysing the bigger picture and recognising his deficiencies… he’s admitted to a few of them recently. When he stopped getting it all his own way, he threw his toys out of the pram and left us in the shit…what a git.

A real petty and easily aggravated guy…

There is a large weight of responsibility on him for the heavy and persistent decline we suffered thereafter… 

Shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same breath or sentence as Unai unless it’s to point out the stark differences… Unai is vastly superior and leagues beyond him… working and achieving success in different countries and leagues, winning various, multiple honours, trophies, titles… working with so many different players… 

we are incredibly lucky to have him.

A wealth of expertise and success, supreme knowledge and ability…

We also play a vastly superior brand of football rather than the limited stuff we used to and had gotten used to…

Back to the pertinent point: the game has changed a lot since then, we have and use a squad - multiple players. We have plenty of players and several that we can help overcome injuries, lack of sharpness, indifferent form etc. - we do have options and players to return and impact the side, they will all get minutes (unlike the MON days)…

Unai actually coaches and improves players rather than sidelining players… he can transform and elevate them as we have already seen. McGinn is the prime example…

Most of all, Unai knows what to do and how best to do it and he’s in charge and thank God for that… he has and is building something special and something to LAST… while being sensible and intelligent with it… not taking risks and putting our future or stability at stake…

If he wants signings, we will at least try if not actually bring those specific players and targets in…

It’s simply no use fretting and worrying… we are actually in good hands this time.

This is time to enjoy not worry…

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Join the queue because loads of clubs want this unicorn player. Diaby not starting, why can't he play striker if needed. You know he was striker all PSG youth and Emery when we signed him said he wanted him because he can play all front 3 positions. Left and right attack and striker. 

Again, I haven't mentioned unicorns, you have. 

Diaby is not playing well in any case 

I think we need to buy/loan a  good back up for our only real striker. So does Emery and we will see one in the summer I'm certain.

You dont think we need one. I do.

Thats it. Nothing more to add on the matter.

Edited by GlobalVillan

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Worth pointing to and highlighting Unai’s recent comments… his response to the question was along the lines of who could we bring in and why? Watkins is shining…

Personally, I like Duran and Zaniolo (maybe even the better/best option) and think they can provide decent cover and keep improving… it’s also worth recognising how robust and reliable Ollie has been over the years, ever since he arrived…

I’d welcome any signings, mainly because we’d know they were Unai choices or he signed off on them, but it’s worth listening to the manager and seeing his side of things… rather than being too steadfast in our own views…

He doesn’t have to reveal much to the media though…. so who really knows what we will do? 😆

But… these positions or situations could have been addressed much earlier (such as in the summer, when there was more time, and even further back) if desired… must be a reason why they weren’t and why Unai sees things differently than a few of us…

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

Again, I haven't mentioned unicorns, you have. 

Diaby is not playing well in any case 

I think we need a good back up for pir only real striker. So does Emery and we will see one in the summer I'm certain

Thats it. Nothing more to add on the matter.

How can you state that with so much conviction?

I don’t think anyone, including the media, can second guess Unai or our real intentions at the club tbh.

I welcome any signings…

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Because we need Bailey and Diaby to be doing THEIR jobs in addition to a striker. 

Agree with this, good point. We need players playing in their best positions as often as possible and I do still see these two as wingers rather than AM or SS players… thing is, we only really play with one winger… 

We are missing players like Tielemans (who looked great supporting Watkins) and Ramsey’s form will continue to improve… I hope for the same from Zaniolo too… would like him to stick to a more central role/position.

I do like Duran too.

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

How can you state that with so much conviction?

I don’t think anyone, including the media, can second guess Unai or our real intentions at the club tbh.

I welcome any signings…

Well I do know we have been looking at strikers and Im sure we will bring another one in, although probably not until the summer.

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Unless we really are stretched FFP wise

We allegedly are, so are a lot of clubs. Just watched Arsenal pundit on Talkshite saying that don't have loads of wiggle room so Toney in is wishful thinking. Been said Manure can't do anything with offloading players. I think FFP catching up with loads of clubs including big ones

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

I don't want to bang on about the same thing, but basically ruling out signings in January is in my opinion complacent. We are 2nd in the league and doing brilliantly, but if we don't do anything in January and tail off to finish 5th, 6th or 7th it will be a big opportunity missed. People don't want to admit it but it will be eerily similar to January 2009 when the only signing we made was an ageing, useless striker who couldn't score. "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Unless we really are stretched FFP wise, there is no reason to not be trying everything we can to improve. This doesn't even necessarily require big money to be spent: Timo Werner isn't exactly a wow signing, but on loan he would have given us something extra and plays off the left which is a position we have struggled in this season given Ramsey's poor form and Zaniolo being better on the right. 

Saying trust Unai etc etc, he is a brilliant manager absolutely no doubt, but I trust what my own eyes see and I can see that 1-2 quality additions are needed for us, especially when Spurs are strengthening bringing in players quickly who are absolutely our biggest challengers for 4th. 

Prepare for the criticism I'm likely to receive for this post, but it's all true. 

Your general point is fine but… do you not think Unai might see it the same/similar way?

I’m confident we will at least try (he himself has not ruled anything out) but we’re not going to sign randoms… our targets will be very specific and well thought out, researched and planned. They have to make us better… we’re not looking for numbers…

If we can’t sign who we really want, we won’t and will hold fire for the time being…

If we can, well do it.

But we’re early into the window and it’s no use fretting… just wait and see.