Torns IF find loophole in the offside rule

Tom13

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

That is amazing.

Midfielder rolls the ball onto top of foot and balances for a couple of seconds whilst the attacker runs behind the defence. Then in one motion the midfielder flicks the ball to him. Attacker is onside.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Would be ruled out on the basis that most referees dont know the actual rules

Unless it was for a scum 6 team when they can give it amend them later if needed 😝

If I were a manager attempting it I’d have a quiet word with the ref beforehand and point out the rules. They’d have to allow it. The loophole would be closed within days.

1 hour ago, villan95 said:

I always thought it was when the ball left a players foot or have they just always been refereeing wrong?

In that twitter thing it shows the law - "The first point of contact of the ‘play’ or ‘touch’ of the ball should be used". But that doesn't mean it's always been refereed wrongly. Almost all decisions the forst contact is the same as the ball leaving the player's foot - it's a pass, or a header, or a cross - so no difference. But you're right in terms of the TV analysis, as I've seen them play back stuff in slow mo' and say "there -  the ball has left his foot and [the forward] is clearly onside/offside" and stuff like that.

• Like 4

Does anyone remember years ago we scored a free kick that was scooped up before being hit (and had the goal disallowed)?

First player scoops it off the ground then second player volleyed it in.

I think it was disallowed in the grounds that the ball had to be hit rather than scooped (or my memory is playing tricks on me).

Edited by Genie

35 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

"Adam, you are the most technically gifted player, can you place the ball on top of your foot and keep it" - only took him 10 mins to do so being unchallenged LOL

Obviously, the bad finish is on purpose. I did wonder if the failed scoop attempts were on purpose as well - assume they are considering the tone of the video, but it did look kinda genuine at the same time :D

Edited by Tom13

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

Does anyone remember years ago we scored a free kick that was scooped up before being hit (and had the goal disallowed)?

First player scoops it off the ground then second player volleyed it in.

I think it was disallowed in the grounds that the ball had to be hit rather than scooped (or my memory is playing tricks on me).

Didn't Hourihane score one of these? I can't really remember it being disallowed though.

19 hours ago, blandy said:

In that twitter thing it shows the law - "The first point of contact of the ‘play’ or ‘touch’ of the ball should be used". But that doesn't mean it's always been refereed wrongly. Almost all decisions the forst contact is the same as the ball leaving the player's foot - it's a pass, or a header, or a cross - so no difference. But you're right in terms of the TV analysis, as I've seen them play back stuff in slow mo' and say "there -  the ball has left his foot and [the forward] is clearly onside/offside" and stuff like that.

Hard to imagine why the rule would be this way and not the last moment of contact, but as pointed out I'm sure the VAR is always looking for the moment of the ball leaving the foot. There must be more than a few margin call offsides that wouldn't have been given had the rule been applied properly, not least for Ollie in that first season.

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Wasn't Draper or Alan Wright was it? Draper I'm thinking?

I was thinking Mark Draper so that could be it

edit: found it, I must have imagined the bit about it being disallowed.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Hard to imagine why the rule would be this way and not the last moment of contact, but as pointed out I'm sure the VAR is always looking for the moment of the ball leaving the foot. There must be more than a few margin call offsides that wouldn't have been given had the rule been applied properly, not least for Ollie in that first season.

I imagine it's because you have to apply similar laws across the game - i.e: first point of contact in a foul that 'starts' just outside the box but 'ends' just inside.  It's a free kick, not a penalty.

@blandy is right about the VAR/offside thing as it stands - first and last contact is essentially the same thing; it's as the ball is being played.  So replays don't show the ball leaving the foot, they show the ball being played.  There should never be a gap between boot/head/whatever and ball.

Obviously, I'd have probably assumed it's the latter point of contact as I reckon most people would.

Â