Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I’ve watched a few matches and it’s been really poor. If this is the pinnacle then it has a long way to go. I’m sure it’ll keep improving though. 

Funnily enough, I've watched most of the matches at this tournament and I think it's been at quite a good standard with plenty of entertaining matches.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Funnily enough, I've watched most of the matches at this tournament and I think it's been at quite a good standard with plenty of entertaining matches.

Dunno, been disappointed a bit tbh, especially after watching the Euros which were great.

8 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Dunno, been disappointed a bit tbh, especially after watching the Euros which were great.

Some people are quite defensive about calling a spade a spade. There’s some good players and good teams, but a lot of nations that would get turned over by a good Sunday league side I’m certain.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Some people are quite defensive about calling a spade a spade. There’s some good players and good teams, but a lot of nations that would get turned over by a good Sunday league side I’m certain.

A good female Sunday league team or a male one? 

Its stupid and irrelevant if comparing sexes

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

A good female Sunday league team or a male one? 

Its stupid and irrelevant if comparing sexes

It’s perfectly valid for the discussion. Many of the sides at the top tier of women’s football are the same, or lower than non-league or Sunday league football in the men’s game.

It’s just how it is at the moment, but improving all the time.

Just now, Genie said:

It’s perfectly valid for the discussion. Many of the sides at the top tier of women’s football are the same, or lower than non-league or Sunday league football in the men’s game.

It’s just how it is at the moment, but improving all the time.

Is it really though. Nobody says Katie Taylor would beat her male counterpart for example

They are different sports. People that want to compare them are usually men who for some reason feel intimidated(not saying yourself as have seen decent posts from yourself in the past) but they are different sports

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Is it really though. Nobody says Katie Taylor would beat her male counterpart for example

They are different sports. People that want to compare them are usually men who for some reason feel intimidated(not saying yourself as have seen decent posts from yourself in the past) but they are different sports

Boxing is an interesting comparison because players are matched by weight, I wouldn’t write Katie Taylor off in a fight against a man of the same size/weight. She’s hard as nails.

Women’s football is women versus other women, at the world cup some of the players and teams are technically and tactically very poor. If it was a men’s tournament I’d be thinking it was a local cup competition, nothing like professional sport.

That’s not a macho “women’s football is rubbish” gloat, I’ve watched a lot of the games and will watch more. It’s just an observation.

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It's a pretty decent point.  In other female sports, people just seem to discuss them rather than constantly banging on about how different it would be if men were involved.

It's **** dull when it comes to football.  Sadly, people can't get away from it.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's a pretty decent point.  In other female sports, people just seem to discuss them rather than constantly banging on about how different it would be if men were involved.

It's **** dull when it comes to football.  Sadly, people can't get away from it.

This. It's a different sport, almost. Just enjoy it for what it is. I was comparing the women's WC to the women's Euros. The Euros were amongst the most I've ever enjoyed an international tournament, Men or Women's. By that standard, this tournament has been a bit of a let down, although I will be honest the games taking place at 6-8am our time hasn't helped me get into the spirit of it.

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

It’s specific to women’s football that people get all tetchy about it.

Mens football it’s absolutely fine to be critical of a team or players. Women’s football and it’s **** dull for some reason. Why? 

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s specific to women’s football that people get all tetchy about it.

Mens football it’s absolutely fine to be critical of a team or players. Women’s football and it’s **** dull for some reason. Why? 

It’s not the being critical - that’s fine - it’s the constant “bloody hell, my 12 year old lad and his mates could beat these lot”. For whatever reason, women’s football gets repeatedly compared to/ridiculed by comparison to a male version of the sport.

It just doesn’t seem to happen in other sports. No-one seems to watch, say, Iga Swiatek and goes “**** hell, even Andy Murray’s brother is better than this”.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It’s not the being critical - that’s fine - it’s the constant “bloody hell, my 12 year old lad and his mates could beat these lot”. For whatever reason, women’s football gets repeatedly compared to/ridiculed by comparison to a male version of the sport.

It just doesn’t seem to happen in other sports. No-one seems to watch, say, Iga Swiatek and goes “**** hell, even Andy Murray’s brother is better than this”.

Probably because it wouldn’t be true :D Also, Andy Murray’s brother is a grand slam professional tennis player…

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Aye. I remember the matildas (Aussie national woman's team) playing the mens (boys?) under 18's national side. They were down 6-0 at half time. The point of the contest was to get the girls used to physically imposing teams and moving the ball on quicker, so not pointless.

I suspect in any other contact sport (and a lot of non-contact ones) you'd find a similar result. Not sure why in football it's constantly raised.

I will say this for the woman's game: They are tougher than the men. No Neymar-like rolling around the pitch when being breathed on. They generally just get up and get on with it.

• Thanks 1

I agree that actually putting them against each other isn’t fair as men being generally stronger will overpower technical ability. 

My comment was more about the technicality of some of the players and teams. They are quite poor and comparable with a much lower level in the men’s pyramid, possibly as low as non-league football. 

It’s not a massive surprise given the women’s game is far “newer” than men’s.

I am following, watching and supporting this world cup, I’m not suggesting it’s shit or pointless. Just an observation.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree that actually putting them against each other isn’t fair as men being generally stronger will overpower technical ability. 

My comment was more about the technicality of some of the players and teams. They are quite poor and comparable with a much lower level in the men’s pyramid, possibly as low as non-league football. 

It’s not a massive surprise given the women’s game is far “newer” than men’s.

I am following, watching and supporting this world cup, I’m not suggesting it’s shit or pointless. Just an observation.

But it's entirely irrelevant.  There's not going to be men in the women's game or vice-versa (avoiding the obvious "but what about trans"), so comparing the two technically/physically/in any way is utterly futile.  We don't compare technicalities on swimming or tennis or cricket or rugby or athletics or badminton... it's always football.

A better comparison would be the women's game now compared to the women's game 10 years ago, and seeing how the game sport has evolved.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But it's entirely irrelevant.  There's not going to be men in the women's game or vice-versa (avoiding the obvious "but what about trans"), so comparing the two technically/physically/in any way is utterly futile.  We don't compare technicalities on swimming or tennis or cricket or rugby or athletics or badminton... it's always football.

A better comparison would be the women's game now compared to the women's game 10 years ago, and seeing how the game sport has evolved.

It could be because this is a football forum. 

Â