Soccer Aid for UNICEF 2023

Genie

2 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Carlos off Fletcher on must be the biggest disparity in quality in a substitution in football history

Surely Carlos can last more than 10mins, even now… I’d be annoyed if I was him. Also, does Carlos live in the UK? Feel like he is in the country a fair bit! 

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

None tournament year?

Popular enough to do it annually now?

It's been pretty much on every year for quite a while now, even put one on during covid.

Anyone remember the Match on Sky one in mid 2000s. That was the original thought up by Johnny Wilkes and Robbie Williams in which it was a team of celebs v a pro team and they modified that and moved it to ITV for more visibility in 2006. Pretty sure Maradona played in that.

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Surely Carlos can last more than 10mins, even now… I’d be annoyed if I was him. Also, does Carlos live in the UK? Feel like he is in the country a fair bit! 

He gets flown in a fair bit for promotional/PR stunts. Worked with the agency who came up with the idea for him to join an actual 5 a side team in Shropshire for a bit.

Brazil legend Roberto Carlos to play for Shrewsbury Sunday league team | Shropshire Star

But the 48-year-old, who hung up his boots in 2015, is dusting them off once more for a substitute appearance in the Shrewsbury & District Sunday Football League.

Tom Grennon last year was very good IIRC. Is Mark Wright injured as he's usually one of the better standard celebs.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's been pretty much on every year for quite a while now, even put one on during covid.

Anyone remember the Match on Sky one in mid 2000s. That was the original thought up by Johnny Wilkes and Robbie Williams in which it was a team of celebs v a pro team and they modified that and moved it to ITV for more visibility in 2006. Pretty sure Maradona played in that.

I liked that in that they had a couple of episodes of the training etc in the week leading up to the game as well. Think it was always for UNICEF and always England v rest of world? Although it really was rest of world and not mostly English people in the rest of world team. Gazza played one year as well.

All very polished now and not quite the same as when it was Ralf Little and Jonny 'Robbie Williams mate' Wilkes and a bit shit 

• Like 1

I think this is a good event and a yearly run is worth it.

It does reveal the massive discrepancy in England legends and elsewhere through. The rest of the world team has some celebrities that look like they could play lower league now, and some legends that literally are still playing (even if at joke league level)meanwhile Paul Scholes looks like he put down a pint shortly before kick off.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Eni Aluko looks like a celeb. She's terrible.

Worst female pro by a distance. At least the lines of Carney can still control the ball and carry it like someone who got paid to do it not long ago. Aluko barely looks like she's seen a ball.

• Like 1

Â