Your VillaTalk referee of the 2022/23 season

BOF

Complete ignorance from my side on this, I had no idea this many referees had taken charge of our games and it seems a relatively even split across the season. 

Only 71 people voted on the refereeing performance in a game where we had a player incorrectly sent off following viewing the incident on the screen that couldn’t accurately show the incident and said red card was subsequently overturned (Michael Oliver, Fulham).

Admittedly it was Gerrards last game so we had more to talk about.

• Like 1

Can't play the game without them so a class thread to have. Feels like standards is low but there is some rules that are annoying to us fans and a change to them might help the refs reputations. Handball rule and not waving for offside until 5 minutes later especially.

I just wanted to crunch the numbers really, and see if there was much of a spread across the performances or whether VT posters tend to just auto-click their own personal favourite mark for all referees. I also wanted to see how much the match result influenced the mark we gave to the officiating crew. I suspected we would be far more generous after a victory than after a defeat, and there is definitely an element of that. But it's certainly not a direct relationship between the 2. Credit to our posters, they're not against giving positive marks in a defeat and vice versa if the referee's performance calls for it.

I've only just implemented this and I'll obviously be carrying it on into next season where I'll probably give it 3 or 4 days after each match before I take down the votes. Gotta give people the chance to digest everything :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

I just wanted to crunch the numbers really, and see if there was much of a spread across the performances or whether VT posters tend to just auto-click their own personal favourite mark for all referees. I also wanted to see how much the match result influenced the mark we gave to the officiating crew. I suspected we would be far more generous after a victory than after a defeat, and there is definitely an element of that. But it's certainly not a direct relationship between the 2. Credit to our posters, they're not against giving positive marks in a defeat and vice versa if the referee's performance calls for it.

I've only just implemented this and I'll obviously be carrying it on into next season where I'll probably give it 3 or 4 days after each match before I take down the votes. Gotta give people the chance to digest everything :)

It would be nice to have a constant  that could be applied to a referee's score for a game in the case of a loss to allow for that element of bias. Off the top of my head the best way to do that would be to take the games where we've won and average the score the referees got (x), then take the games we lost and take the average score (y) and then x/y= v, which is the constant 

v then is multiplied by the score for each refereeing performance where we lost to try to account for that potential bias. Would that work? Did you do it a better more sophisticated way?

1 minute ago, YLN said:

It would be nice to have a constant  that could be applied to a referee's score for a game in the case of a loss to allow for that element of bias. Off the top of my head the best way to do that would be to take the games where we've won and average the score the referees got (x), then take the games we lost and take the average score (y) and then x/y= v, which is the constant 

v then is multiplied by the score for each refereeing performance where we lost to try to account for that potential bias. Would that work? Did you do it a better more sophisticated way?

I've added no weights to it. It's just straight calculation.

Good work @BOF

I genuinely have only heard of one of those referees (Oliver). I just have a blind spot when it comes to them now, which on a forum which is obsessed by officiating, seems a bit odd.

I can name plenty of refs from the 90s and 00s though!