Lionel Messi

villarule123

There's one reason he didn't go to Barca this time... and it's money. 

Last time they couldn't drop his salary to a level that they could afford because Spanish rules didn't let them give a player a salary cut of that much.

No such rule this time, yet he still doesn't go there.

Obviously picked US over Saudi for something other than financial reasons, but either league was a purely financial end of career choice. 

13 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

There's one reason he didn't go to Barca this time... and it's money. 

Last time they couldn't drop his salary to a level that they could afford because Spanish rules didn't let them give a player a salary cut of that much.

No such rule this time, yet he still doesn't go there.

Obviously picked US over Saudi for something other than financial reasons, but either league was a purely financial end of career choice. 

Barca sign players and literally don't know if they'll be able to register them or not.

I don't get this whole thing where people think Messi should play for Barca for free or take a huge pay cut to play for them, why should he? 

They couldn't afford him, so he went elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Barca sign players and literally don't know if they'll be able to register them or not.

I don't get this whole thing where people think Messi should play for Barca for free or take a huge pay cut to play for them, why should he? 

They couldn't afford him, so he went elsewhere.

Not for free, but if he was that distraught about leaving them, and that desperate to play for them, I'm sure he'd have found a way. Don't buy the angle he's peddling on why he had to go somewhere else. He didn't have to. He chose to.

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Not for free, but if he was that distraught about leaving them, and that desperate to play for them, I'm sure he'd have found a way. Don't buy the angle he's peddling on why he had to go somewhere else. He didn't have to. He chose to.

I would imagine if you played for a club for 20+ years, you would be somewhat emotional when you leave them? He doesn't owe Barca anything, he followed the money, nothing wrong with that.

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I would imagine if you played for a club for 20+ years, you would be somewhat emotional when you leave them? He doesn't owe Barca anything, he followed the money, nothing wrong with that.

I agree, he doesn't, and there isn't anything wrong with it. I was making the point that he can't say it wasn't the money. 

That said, I think I was misled by a short quote I'd seen from him on his move

I read an extract of an interview where he'd said he wanted to return to barca and was really happy to be returning. Just found the full extract and looks like there was a bit more to it than money so I'll retract my comments. 

Still think he followed the money, but at least he didn't follow it to Saudi, and for that he should be commended.

16 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I can see him living in Barcelona after retirement.  He moved there at such a young age (12) that it's basically his home town, his kids were born there, I dread to think how deep his roots in the city go. However, I get why he didn't go back.  No matter what he does it won't be as good as it was before, he'll be compared to the 25 year old Messi who'd score 50 goals a season and he's just not that guy any more.  Two years in Miami, which is basically a Spanish speaking city, would be an amazing experience at this point in his life.  

8 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I agree, he doesn't, and there isn't anything wrong with it. I was making the point that he can't say it wasn't the money. 

That said, I think I was misled by a short quote I'd seen from him on his move

I read an extract of an interview where he'd said he wanted to return to barca and was really happy to be returning. Just found the full extract and looks like there was a bit more to it than money so I'll retract my comments. 

Still think he followed the money, but at least he didn't follow it to Saudi, and for that he should be commended.

It's 100% about money but can't really blame him, he's won everything there is to win, might as well relax in the MLS and make a tonne of $$$.  The deals he's signed with MLS, Apple and Adidas were too good to turn down.

5 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I can see him living in Barcelona after retirement.  He moved there at such a young age (12) that it's basically his home town, his kids were born there, I dread to think how deep his roots in the city go. However, I get why he didn't go back.  No matter what he does it won't be as good as it was before, he'll be compared to the 25 year old Messi who'd score 50 goals a season and he's just not that guy any more.  Two years in Miami, which is basically a Spanish speaking city, would be an amazing experience at this point in his life.  

He mentioned in the full interview that going back was also shrouded in question marks about them having to sell other players and maybe Barca having to again release him after one year if La Liga weren't happy. All financial really, but it's not an atmosphere to return to the club under.

He got lots of abuse the last time round, when it actually was totally out of his control at that point,  so a good call to leave it in the past.

I'm sure he'll still set some level of scoring record over there, like most ex-european pros do. But do wonder who the other European club offer was from... feel he could still have shone in a competitive league.

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

But do wonder who the other European club offer was from..

I would presume it was Newcastle United but Messi has nothing left to prove in football so I can see why he went to MLS. 

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Would anyone take to having Messi on loan for 2 months during the MLS off season?

I imagine he'll need his rest and he also has his absurdly well paid job working for Saudi Arabia as tourism ambassador so he's probably fully booked.

• Like 1

Â