1. 1. Most ridiculous Olympic event?

• Walking
    • Synchronised swimming
    • BMX Banditry
    • Rhythmic Gymnastics
    • Mountain biking
    • Softball
    • Baseball

Rugby does have some elements that I believe would appeal to the US audience, espeically with the new ELVs.

I cant imagine theyd put up with a good old defensive, forward battle in the mud but a sling-the-ball event on decent parks, almost a certain winner - big hits, high scores - what else do the US audiences want??

Professional rugby is heading for the states, if people with ears close to the ground are to be believed....

Honestly, I'll believe it when the Rugby World Cup is shown on a channel that's in more than a couple of hundred thousand homes (most recently on Setanta). Even the '90 World Cup was at least on ESPN. Pro rugby would be lucky to get a few thousand a game in attendance.

7s at least can be more appetizing to the casual fan flipping through channels, and the shorter game periods make for natural advert breaks.

I'd structure a USA-style 7s match as a series of 4 or 5 7s games (with halves probably extended to 12 minutes) between the sides, with the 5th game played if nobody's won 3 of the first 4. 1 point in the standings awarded for each win, with a bonus point for winning the aggregate score in the match. That gets most matches into the 2-3 hour range that is the standard American sports broadcast window.

I know of a few boys who've been offered very big money to play in the US following University. These boys are probably just shy of our pro standard.

Someone has some cash there....

What you say is true Chris, but its 40 odd years too late. TV contracts have already been drawn up and the people in charge of them have a vested interest in suppressing other sports.

Its difficult, if not impossible to break a new sport in an established market these days.

I agree it would be very difficult.

Given though they have 4 sports to all that population, and we have 3 for ours - you can definately argue they could squeeze one more in.

Its just a case of timing and money - if they took a Rugby World Cup out there I think it would be a big step forward.

As anyone who knows of my attendance at last year's England bi-sexual XV vs the Navy rugby match will testify. The score? 0-0, but there were 5 tries and 2 conversions.

:crylaugh:

Walking is the most pointless. The Olympic sport i hate most though is that ridiculous Horse jumping, the most boring thing in the world

Now that would be a sport! People trying to jump over horses. It's called Show Jumping. But yes, it is rather dull.

The BMX is absolutely rediculous.

all of the riders geared up in full body armour do they think its Motocross or something?

Id imagine they think its Bicycle Motocross, what which that being what the BMX acronym stands for and everything. :lol:

As anyone who knows of my attendance at last year's England bi-sexual XV vs the Navy rugby match will testify. The score? 0-0, but there were 5 tries and 2 conversions.
Sounds supiciously like one of Humphrey Lyttleton's ISIHAC quips.

Walking for me. Looks absolutely stupid the way they straddle and thrust their hips all over.

So what's the point of getting gold for walking? To be the fastest walker in the world? Big deal! Someone else just needs to RUN and the walking gold is pointless!

basketball. Does it serve any other purpose than to satisfy an American tv audience?

Basketball is huge in Asia and may be the 2nd most popular team sport in the world- In large part because China is so huge but it's also played all over the world- Europe, South America, Africa, even Australia had a pretty good team this year. The NBA is the dominant league but the Euroleague isn't too far behind and the NBA is filled with players from all over the world. The UK is one of the few places it hasn't gained much of a foothold.

The US has had strong teams finish 6th, 3rd and 3rd at the 2002 Worlds, 2004 Olympics and 2006 Olympics, respectively. Our last championship was a close win against France in 2000. If we can beat the world champions Spain tomorrow then we win gold! 8)

Â