1. 1. Most ridiculous Olympic event?

• Walking
    • Synchronised swimming
    • BMX Banditry
    • Rhythmic Gymnastics
    • Mountain biking
    • Softball
    • Baseball

basketball. Does it serve any other purpose than to satisfy an American tv audience?

Hm. Basketball is pretty huge in countries like Croatia, Spain, China etc. USA didn't even win gold last time

Only because they sent a third string side. If the US send their best team, they win.

I still feel basketball is in the games to serve the interests of one country more than any other sport in the games. 305 million viewers to the commercial TV that broadcasts the games has nothing to do with that, im sure.

Only because they sent a third string side. If the US send their best team, they win.

I still feel basketball is in the games to serve the interests of one country more than any other sport in the games. 305 million viewers to the commercial TV that broadcasts the games has nothing to do with that, im sure.

Indeed. Perhaps they should put gridiron football in the Olympics. Wonder who'd win that? :?

yes santa ....

Fair enough. It's one of my favourites.

Mine too. A noble art, and great sport.

for any sport that requires a certain degree of technical ability/skill, judges/refs are required, and they will undoubtedly influence/determine the result.

doesn't make it any less worthy IMO.

Dunno whether this is the right thread, or whether a new one should be started but what sport would you like to see included in the games, and why?

For me it would be Rugby sevens. Its a great game to watch, TV friendly, competitive between lots of nations and i love how its done over a mini tournament with short games and teams playing several times in a day. Possible brownie points for some of the smaller nations (Fiji & Samoa being the obvious examples) being genuine medal contenders.

I'd like to see the Pissed Olympics. Same set of events, but all the competitors have to drink eight pints of beer and half a bottle of scotch before starting.

Tell me that woudn't be entertaining.

Rugby 7s would be a good inclusion, but would the professional players be willing to risk injury etc - in the same way that footballers dont?

The Olympics needs to be the pinnacle of the sport's individual calendar - and I dont think it would take precedence over the 7s series or, on a larger scale, the world cup, tri nations or even 6 nations, which is a shame.

I think what Chris is saying is that, unless the event is the pinnacle of that sports 'cicruit' (for want for a better word) it takes the shine of putting them in the Olympics. I'd agree and would go as far as saying that if, like in Tennis and Football,, other events are held in higher regard, they shouldn't bother with them at the Olympics.

totally agree Santa but lets face it the Olympics with the worlds most popular sport would be strange .

or should the plympics be the once in 4 year chance for minority sports to get the spotlight ?

Do you mean without the world's most popular sport? I see what you mean, but if it's not taken that seriously in that sport's community, then I don't see much point.

So yeah. Let the other sports have their day in the sun.

not really Santa, NBC are the major paymasters and thus Squash for them is not easily televised so they get in more American sports

I mean Baseball has been in, Basketball, softball and even BMX is really an american sport ...

I think what Chris is saying is that, unless the event is the pinnacle of that sports 'cicruit' (for want for a better word) it takes the shine of putting them in the Olympics. I'd agree and would go as far as saying that if, like in Tennis and Football,, other events are held in higher regard, they shouldn't bother with them at the Olympics.

Thats what I mean, yes.

I cant envisage professional players, at the beginning of their seasons, being willing to play for free in a sport where injury is common.

It would either mean a completely upside-down tournament where weaker nations enter their best players (semi pros) and are met against amateurs from top nations - meaning nobody would want to watch?

It would never attract the top players in a professional era.

Â