Valuing a Star Wars figures collection

Tayls

Inspired by the valuing stamp collection topic, I’m keen to know if there is a better way of getting my vintage Star Wars figures from the 70s/80s/90s valued. I’d prefer to avoid taking them to a shop as they will always offer lower than what they are worth, for obvious reasons. I don’t really want to go down the eBay route, as I need someone to actually look at the items and understand what is there. 

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Inspired by the valuing stamp collection topic, I’m keen to know if there is a better way of getting my vintage Star Wars figures from the 70s/80s/90s valued. I’d prefer to avoid taking them to a shop as they will always offer lower than what they are worth, for obvious reasons. I don’t really want to go down the eBay route, as I need someone to actually look at the items and understand what is there. 

nerd-alert-bumper.gif

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Assuming you are on about the original Kenner figures, you are entering a world of nerd-ism on another level. The minutiae you can get too is insane. You think there is just one Luke Skywalker from '77 Nah there are about 10 variants. Slightly different castings, from different moulds, in different shades, from different factories, sometimes in different countries (COO = country of origin). The detail the collectors go into is madness. A true collector has them all. 

Due to the popularity, a number of companies were commissioned to produce the figures under licence. I think there was 3 companies in Hong Kong originally making figures. Each factory had slightly different moulds or processes to cause slight differences in the final figures. Production was also done in Macau, Taiwan and mainland China. The stampings on the figures are cause for plenty of excitement for the nerds. 

http://www.highasakoit.co.uk/starwars/luke.php

I'm not sure how you would get them valued unless you documented them fully and researched the values online. 

I've got about half a collection of the original figures and the old man has more of less a full set, minus some of the 'last 17' which are a lot more pricey to purchase. No idea of the value. Not huge as they're used and not in their original packaging. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Thinking of starting a thread on how to get a valuation on Butlins Skegness Postcards. 

Bognor Regis are worth more. 

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bognor Regis are worth more. 

Not as much as Barry Island though. So many of theirs used to be lost in mysterious fires at the Post Office. Rumour has it local scallywags were destroying them. 

53 minutes ago, Xela said:

Assuming you are on about the original Kenner figures, you are entering a world of nerd-ism on another level. The minutiae you can get too is insane. You think there is just one Luke Skywalker from '77 Nah there are about 10 variants. Slightly different castings, from different moulds, in different shades, from different factories, sometimes in different countries (COO = country of origin). The detail the collectors go into is madness. A true collector has them all. 

Due to the popularity, a number of companies were commissioned to produce the figures under licence. I think there was 3 companies in Hong Kong originally making figures. Each factory had slightly different moulds or processes to cause slight differences in the final figures. Production was also done in Macau, Taiwan and mainland China. The stampings on the figures are cause for plenty of excitement for the nerds. 

http://www.highasakoit.co.uk/starwars/luke.php

I'm not sure how you would get them valued unless you documented them fully and researched the values online. 

I've got about half a collection of the original figures and the old man has more of less a full set, minus some of the 'last 17' which are a lot more pricey to purchase. No idea of the value. Not huge as they're used and not in their original packaging. 

Yea it’s the finer details that I just cannot he bothered to go into. My parents started getting them for me when I was a kid, and since turning 30 I started to get a few for my self to add to my existing collection and to satisfy my curiosity of collecting again.
But ultimately, they are all just sat in clear bags in a big box. Part of me wants to keep hold of them for sentimental reasons. My mum died over Christmas and she was very much involved in buying me my Star Wars toys growing up. I’d like to be able to pass them onto my kids as well. However, another part of thinks I should ‘cash in’ and just take the few hundred quid that I might get for them… I’m worried about being mugged off though in case there is something of proper value there. I do have one of the last 17, one of the Ewoks. Paploo I believe it is.. 

4 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Isn't the Charizard worth some ludicrous amount of money these days?

Depends - 1st edition shadowless in near mint you’re talking 30k upwards… 

An average grade, non 1st edition, anywhere between £30-£100 I’d say… 

Edited by Tayls

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Yea it’s the finer details that I just cannot he bothered to go into. My parents started getting them for me when I was a kid, and since turning 30 I started to get a few for my self to add to my existing collection and to satisfy my curiosity of collecting again.
But ultimately, they are all just sat in clear bags in a big box. Part of me wants to keep hold of them for sentimental reasons. My mum died over Christmas and she was very much involved in buying me my Star Wars toys growing up. I’d like to be able to pass them onto my kids as well. However, another part of thinks I should ‘cash in’ and just take the few hundred quid that I might get for them… I’m worried about being mugged off though in case there is something of proper value there. I do have one of the last 17, one of the Ewoks. Paploo I believe it is.. 

I reckon you can probably find a dedicated forum or subreddit where you could ask this question and get a proper answer. From what I gather most of the figures are worth very little even if they're old, but the proper nerds would probably let you know what the really valuable ones are so you can at least feel confident that you aren't handing over something that's worth absurd amounts of money when a shop gives you a price for it.

In terms of giving them to your own kids - my kids are currently playing with a bunch of the toys that belonged to my wife when she was growing up. Polly Pocket, etc. It's quite cool to see but at the end of the day, they're kids - they smash things to bits. If the figures are worth anything I'd probably just sell them and buy the kids some proper toys you'd be fine with them breaking. And that also means you won't be expecting them to have a deep emotional connection to the characters from a bunch of films that came out 40-50 years before they were born. They'll probably just toss Vader in the bin and ask you to buy them a Jar Jar Binks figure instead.

11 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I've got a box of about 50 in my spare room. I'm a bit like you, I can't be bothered to catalogue them! I'll just keep them for another day. They won't go down in value.

Unless you need the money, i'd just keep them until your kids are older.

Â