Valuing a Star Wars figures collection

Tayls

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Yea it’s the finer details that I just cannot he bothered to go into. My parents started getting them for me when I was a kid, and since turning 30 I started to get a few for my self to add to my existing collection and to satisfy my curiosity of collecting again.
But ultimately, they are all just sat in clear bags in a big box. Part of me wants to keep hold of them for sentimental reasons. My mum died over Christmas and she was very much involved in buying me my Star Wars toys growing up. I’d like to be able to pass them onto my kids as well. However, another part of thinks I should ‘cash in’ and just take the few hundred quid that I might get for them… I’m worried about being mugged off though in case there is something of proper value there. I do have one of the last 17, one of the Ewoks. Paploo I believe it is.. 

Keep them.

For sentimental reasons, they hold good memories and you can pass them on to your kids. I also am in a similar position to you, boxes of figures and vehicles etc. I was going to keep many of them boxed and hidden from my three kids but I gave them about a quarter of them to play with. Original AT-AT I gave to my eldest six years ago and still gets played with by his younger brothers, its been in my possession since 1986 when I got it for Christmas.

Sure you could make yourself potentially a few hundred pounds but in a few years you may regret it.

Catalogue and index them instead, date and price them based on your research.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tayls said:

Yea it’s the finer details that I just cannot he bothered to go into. My parents started getting them for me when I was a kid, and since turning 30 I started to get a few for my self to add to my existing collection and to satisfy my curiosity of collecting again.
But ultimately, they are all just sat in clear bags in a big box. Part of me wants to keep hold of them for sentimental reasons. My mum died over Christmas and she was very much involved in buying me my Star Wars toys growing up. I’d like to be able to pass them onto my kids as well. However, another part of thinks I should ‘cash in’ and just take the few hundred quid that I might get for them… I’m worried about being mugged off though in case there is something of proper value there. I do have one of the last 17, one of the Ewoks. Paploo I believe it is.. 

Keep them, a few hundred quid will soon be gone and forgotten but the memories those figures give you will last at least your lifetime.

Sorry to here about your mom, devastating to lose a parent. 

8 hours ago, Xela said:

Bognor Regis are worth more. 

You have to pick your lane, it could turn in to a fools endeavour. Barry is too rare and Bognor is too dull. With Skegness you have the chance to land a 1936 postcard. That’s what I strive for. 
I should take this to the hobbies thread really. 

Questions-  

Could I open an EBay account and put things up for auction but withdraw them before the auction ends?   

Anything truly valuable would generate some interest and be worthy of further research.

Could I just let the auction complete and then not go through with the sale? 

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Questions-  

Could I open an EBay account and put things up for auction but withdraw them before the auction ends?   

Anything truly valuable would generate some interest and be worthy of further research.

Could I just let the auction complete and then not go through with the sale? 

Yes and No.

In theory I see your plan however what scuppers it was if someone bids, then you cannot stop the process.

Also if someone wins the auction and you cancel the sale you may get your account closed by eBay. It's bad form.

• Thanks 1

I bet alot more people have junk in their lofts that probably have some hidden gems that are worth alot of money. I uae to have a very rare metal  metal turtle toy growing up. Its worth a **** fortune and my mum sold them all at a carboot sale for peanuts

Another one I bet i probably used a rare 50p thats worth a lot now as ive had wierd 50ps that ive never seen before but never thought to investigate and spent it

12 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yes and No.

In theory I see your plan however what scuppers it was if someone bids, then you cannot stop the process.

Also if someone wins the auction and you cancel the sale you may get your account closed by eBay. It's bad form.

Why not set up a fake account for this purpose or sneakily use the wife’s account should she have one 

Â