Valuing a stamp collection

mjmooney

Anybody ever done it? 

I inherited a stamp album from an older cousin in the early 60s. Lots of stamps from around the world, mostly pre- or immediately post-WWII. 

It has no sentimental value, so I'm interested in selling it, but I have no idea of value - and a deep distrust of dealers. Short of Googling each individual stamp (there are hundreds), how do I avoid being ripped off? 

I doubt it’s worth very much in all honesty , unless you have first day covers and the like

best bet might be something like a “stamp fair “ … it could well be mainly dealers who you are keen to avoid , but there would be loads under one roof and you could probably get an idea fairly quickly if what you have is of value 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Anybody ever done it? 

I inherited a stamp album from an older cousin in the early 60s. Lots of stamps from around the world, mostly pre- or immediately post-WWII. 

It has no sentimental value, so I'm interested in selling it, but I have no idea of value - and a deep distrust of dealers. Short of Googling each individual stamp (there are hundreds), how do I avoid being ripped off? 

https://www.stanleygibbons.com/

SG are THE authority on stamp prices

2 hours ago, bickster said:

https://www.stanleygibbons.com/

SG are THE authority on stamp prices

Oh, I know that. Just not sure I can face trying to identify each one, there are hundreds. But at the back of my mind, I keep thinking there might just be one jackpot lurking in there, that some dealer might give me fifty quid for and sell for five grand. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, I know that. Just not sure I can face trying to identify each one, there are hundreds. But at the back of my mind, I keep thinking there might just be one jackpot lurking in there, that some dealer might give me fifty quid for and sell for five grand. 

If you don’t put the work in you don’t get the reward 😉

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat. Have my collection from the 60s and my mothers first day covers from 1980 ish to 2000.  Looks like FDCs are almost worthless.  I hate the idea of trashing these but my children have zero interest and having lived in the US for 40yrs + there is probably no one interested.

Trying to plan ahead.... and the same would apply to my old Villa books and programs and albums from the 60s / 70s.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, psavfc81 said:

and the same would apply to my old Villa books and programs and albums from the 60s / 70s.

My Dad has hundreds of Villa programmes from the 60s and 70s. Some from the 50s as well I think. They're just not worth anything I don't think?

He's got the 82 European Cup Final one as well, framed, and on his office/study wall.

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

My Dad has hundreds of Villa programmes from the 60s and 70s. Some from the 50s as well I think. They're just not worth anything I don't think?

He's got the 82 European Cup Final one as well, framed, and on his office/study wall.

That’s nothing I have programmes from the 28 times we played Blackburn in the 09/10 season. I am sitting on a fortune. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Mine is Autographed by Peter Withe  an hour or so after the final whistle , one of the advantages of your best mate at school having a dad who was head of BBC sport  and had backstage access in Rotterdam ( even though the game was on ITV)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Â