HMP Birmingham

Mark24

Really OT but anyway as people who know Birmingham well

Am I right in thinking that people in court in Birmingham who get custody go to HMP Birmingham Winston Green?

I know it wss meant to be pretty bad but wondering if anybody has any idea what it meanr to be like now if you know anybody who has been there or works there?

Doing Time

At our subsequent Independent Review of Progress in 2019, we were pleased to report that prison leaders had made progress against many of our recommendations,  with significant work done to restore order to the prison.

Historically, Birmingham has held around 1,500 prisoners, but at the time of our scrutiny visit the capacity had been reduced to 977, with three of the older Victorian wings currently closed. We found that much of the progress seen in 2019 had been sustained, although in  a few important areas oversight needed improvement to make sure this continued.

Improving from a poor base appears to be the basic info..

Violence had decreased since March 2020, and serious incidents had fallen. Data, including the misreported incidents, indicated the level of violence to be comparable to similar prisons. 

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

How long a stretch did they give you? 

👀

Got a few weeks before sentencing. Was hoping with all the talk of the prisons being full I might get lucky but solicitor to;d me to epect custody

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Mark24 said:

Got a few weeks before sentencing. Was hoping with all the talk of the prisons being full I might get lucky but solicitor to;d me to epect custody

Sorry for being flippant. 

If you're getting time I hope it was worth it, ie giving a scumbag a good shoeing, or the likes. 

6 hours ago, Mark24 said:

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully not too long, and if you’re considered well behaved and not an escape risk, you’ll hopefully end up in a Cat C or Cat D (Birmingham is Cat B). Best of luck with everything.

Edited by KentVillan

9 hours ago, Mark24 said:

Have to ask, what are you being sentenced for in terms of the charges? What’s your version of the story?

16 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully not too long, and if you’re considered well behaved and not an escape risk, you’ll hopefully end up in a Cat C or Cat D (Birmingham is Cat B). Best of luck with everything.

Thanks. Bit of a gead wreck just wondering how things will go and how I will find it. I know that I would go to Cat B first but hopefully would Get Cat C aftera  while as I know they are meant to be much better.

14 hours ago, nick76 said:

Have to ask, what are you being sentenced for in terms of the charges? What’s your version of the story?

Main charge is GBH . Better not say anything more just in case anyone involved is a Villa fan!

Edited by Mark24
Typo

9 minutes ago, Mark24 said:

Main charge is GBH . Better not say anything more just in case anyone involved is a Cilla fan!

Mark, posting on a forum about smashing someone and expecting a gee up about potentially going to jail and how you'll find it. It's an uneasy subject to be quite honest, because posters without knowing why and what happened etc, will feel no need to respond. There is also the fact that Villa Talk isn't really the font of knowledge for those potentially getting a custodial sentence at Birminghams finest. I mean most on here are old farts including myself....nearly.  

Is 24 your age? I'm not trying to be a nob here but you seem like a young lad tbh. If this is the case then I honestly hope whatever bother got you to this point, wasn't worth it. Because if it wasn't there is a better chance of this not happening again. If it was football related, then it certainly wasn't. 

Any violence other than defending those you love or care about(family and real friends) is never worth it. And before you think what a melt, I've been in the same position albeit when I was very young, very stupid and very unattached to the reality of what could've happened in the many situations I got myself into. One of those instances was getting knifed in Birmingham in a brawl which funnily enough wasn't of my doing, and I was very lucky. Thankfully I grew up had a family and although I can still be a plum at times, I've stayed a plum on the right side of life.  

Whatever reason behind your charges, I hope you come out the other side better for it. I think the fact your head is gone over this is good, you wont see it now but hopefully you will in the future and look back at this as a turning point in your life for the better. 

Winson Green is a shithole from what I've heard, but if you do get sent down, when you get out your going to stay out... Yeah? 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 08/01/2023 at 19:37, Mark24 said:

Am I right in thinking that people in court in Birmingham who get custody go to HMP Birmingham Winston Green?

I know it wss meant to be pretty bad but wondering if anybody has any idea what it meanr to be like now if you know anybody who has been there or works there?

I presume you got banged up?

On 08/01/2023 at 19:37, Mark24 said:

I used to be a season ticket holder. When I first went there, as a 16 yr old Borstal boy, it was some eye opener. Three in a cell, that was initially built for one. No toilet or sink, just a plastic bowl and a piss bucket. 

Now, you have a toilet, a TV, a phone, but, there's no respect. Give a convict an inch, and I guarantee you, he will take the proverbial mile. 

When you go in, or if you go in, just tell the screw it's your first time and they will help you. Don't listen to what fellow prisoners tell you. I'll be honest with you, I preferred it when you had to rely on your inner resources and you knew where you stood. 

It's not always the case you go to the Green from Birmingham courts. If it's full you may end up somewhere else. I went to Leeds and Woodhill because of lock - outs. The good news is, the same rules apply. Take it from someone who knows, it's never as bad as you think it is.

Â