The Transition from 2022 into 2023

sidcow

Happy New Year one and all. 

Just done the 'walk downstairs, with a thick head, into the kitchen that looks like the aftermath of a nucleur fallout' routine. 

I'll tidy this shit up then spend the day camped on the sofa 😴

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

New Year’s resolutions then.

Lose a bit of weight. In the main it’s weight put on over December’s indulgences so hopefully shouldn’t be too tricky to shift once things return to normal.

Try and read a bit more. Actual books.

Ideally meet someone. I had a reasonable amount of success about 12/18 months ago, took the year off from dating in 2022. Will get back into the swing of things in the spring (once I’m leaner and more well read).

Last and today most pressing, significantly reduce the amount of time I spending reading the often (but not always) hellscape that is the match day thread. Very little joy lies therein.

Well don't go into the Pre-match thread. It's the end of the world in there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoelVilla said:

Well don't go into the Pre-match thread. It's the end of the world in there.

It was browsing that which prompted my post. I wasn’t going to bother with posting it, but I feel doing so might encourage me to stick to it more.

• Like 1

It all seemed a bit subdued this year: the fireworks were rather perfunctory and the usual exchange of best wishes for the new year, were lacking any sort of enthusiasm, as if the people weren't expecting anything but misery in 2023.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It all seemed a bit subdued this year: the fireworks were rather perfunctory and the usual exchange of best wishes for the new year, were lacking any sort of enthusiasm, as if the people weren't expecting anything but misery in 2023.

Hardly any fireworks around here. It's a fitting start to the year that we're so skint people (and the council) can't afford them

• Like 1

Bit of overlap with @Mark Albrighton on mine. Last year I read a grand total of 0 books, watched 0 films, and piled on about 7kg. It's the first time I've been fat in my life, and I don't like it. 

If I can shift the weight before the summer, and get through a book and a film a month, and get to double figures in gigs, I'll be somewhat happy! Pre 2021 I was aiming for 50+ books and usually got there, but I will be realistic about life with a child :D 

Edited by Davkaus

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Bit of overlap with @Mark Albrighton on mine. Last year I read a grand total of 0 books, watched 0 films, and piled on about 7kg. It's the first time I've been fat in my life, and I don't like it. 

If I can shift the weight before the summer, and get through a book and a film a month, and get to double figures in gigs, I'll be somewhat happy! Pre 2021 I was aiming for 50+ books and usually got there, but I will be realistic about life with a child :D 

Setting goals just before the worst three months of the year always seems like a bad tradition.

Wait until you are getting a bit more sunlight before you start "punishing" yourself.

As much as its worth, I think you need to go a bit more kaizen - small incremental improvements.

Setting big targets always leads to failure.

For instance, I can remember setting targets to read so many books, but noticed that I was avoiding thick books and opting for thin, to make it easier. 😀

Re-reading books you've loved before can get you started: it's amazing how books can seem entirely different the second or third time around.

As Les Crane famously said: be gentle with yourself!

• Like 1

I can't stand this time of year. Short days still and usually cold or wet and miserable weather and unlike similar months, November and December, there is no Christmas on the horizon.  Speaking of Christmas as I mentioned in another thread we didn't have the best one with our daughter getting ill just before it resulting in spending over 9 hours in A and E Boxing night and then back there again on the 29th December for another 9 hours. All this meaning the holiday we had booked from the 27th didn't go ahead. She is much better now thankfully but being someone who puts Christmas on a pedestal when it doesn't meet expectation it is always a bit of a shit. 

Having said all of the above I think the main reason for my low mood today is the thought of work tomorrow and sitting here wondering where the hell the 10 days I had off went.

Oh Happy New Year everyone by the way 😀

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

I booked tomorrow off work as couldn't face it, and I worked three days last week!

Jan and Feb are shite months. I'm going to go away for a few days this year, as I had to cancel my pre-Xmas break due to car issues. Can't book anything yet as don't know when my Nan's funeral will be. 

I just feel as though i'm treading water at the moment. All my investments/shares/pension etc are just stagnant (same as everyone else). It doesn't help when trying to plan for the future!