Baseball 2023

El Zen

I hate to come across as a fairweather fan, but I just can’t find the will to watch the Yankees this season. Such an unexciting team to watch, such a poorly constructed line up. No World Series since 2009, Brian (Cashman, GM,) it’s time to go (and it has been for a long time.) 

• 1 month later...

Watched a fair bit of baseball over the past few years and ended up sticking with the Orioles after watching them last year. 

100+ wins and about to get swept in the playoffs. Pain. 

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Poor Oakland. The Athletics are following the raiders to Las Vegas, and the Golden State Warriors moved out to San Francisco a few years back.

At least the Warriors are just across the bridge, but yeah, feeling for the people of Oakland right now.

• 4 weeks later...

What's the point of a salary cap when you are allowed to do contracts like this?

Shohei Ohtani’s blockbuster 10-year, $700 million contract with the Dodgers contains even crazier deferrals than previously realized.

Ohtani will receive just $2 million per year during his decade-long contract, with $68 million each season getting deferred to be paid out between 2034 to 2043, The Post’s Jon Heyman confirmed.

For purposes of the competitive balance tax, Ohtani’s deal will be valued at $46 million per year.

The Athletic first reported the Ohtani contract details and said Ohtani makes around $50 million a year away from the field.

Ohtani was said to have proposed the structure of the deal himself, as it will heavily aid the Dodgers in supplying talent around the former Angel.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/11/sports/shohei-ohtani-deferring-massive-portion-of-700-million-contract/

6 hours ago, Hornso said:

Baseball has a salary cap?

No you're right it doesn't. Has a luxury tax but apparently no salary cap. Had no idea :D 

You'd think I'd know everything about Baseball since I watched a couple games on Super Channel back in the 90's and the odd minute here and there in the last few years. It would seem I did not.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sne said:

No you're right it doesn't. Has a luxury tax but apparently no salary cap. Had no idea :D 

You'd think I'd know everything about Baseball since I watched a couple games on Super Channel back in the 90's and the odd minute here and there in the last few years. It would seem I did not.

Wasn't intending any offence. My finger isn't exactly on the pulse of America's pastime but I did think it had the widest disparity in payroll (unless the rules had changed). I have heard some crazy stories about contracts though, like this one comes to mind in the circumstances:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bobby-bonilla-day-why-mets-still-owe-former-mlb-all-star-1-19m-per-year-on-july-1/

For a lot of MLB players and ex-players, July 1 is a big day. It's the day many signing bonuses and deferred salary payments (or portions thereof) are paid out. It must be fun checking that huge direct deposit each year, huh?

Bobby Bonilla, a former All-Star who last played in 2001, has become the face of the July 1 payday. 

As part of a deferred salary arrangement, the New York Mets have paid Bonilla a little bit more than $1.19 million ($1,193,248.20 to be exact) on each July 1 since 2011. The annual payments will continue until 2035. 2035! Bonilla, now 60, will be 72 when the payments end.

The Mets signed Bonilla to a five-year contract worth $29 million in 1991, at the time the richest contract in team sports. He spent the first three-and-a-half seasons of that contract with New York before being traded away. Bonilla won a World Series with the Marlins in 1997 and was later traded back to the Mets as part of Florida's post-championship fire sale.

The Mets released Bonilla in January 2000 but were still on the hook for his $5.9 million salary that season. Believing they were poised to make a significant profit through their investments with Bernie Madoff, Mets ownership instead agreed to defer Bonilla's salary with 8% interest, and spread the payments across 25 years from 2011-35.

Well, Madoff's Ponzi scheme fell apart, and Bonilla's $5.9 million swelled to $29.8 million from 2000-11. That $29.8 million divided by 25 years equals the annual $1.19 million payment. A few years ago CBS Sports created a bobblehead to commemorate Bonilla's annual deferred payments:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Â