Baseball 2023

El Zen

Might as well start the 2023 thread now and take the hot stove chat in here. No need for separate threads. 

Notable free agents include Aaron Judge, Justin Verlander, Carlos Correa, Trea Turner, Dansby Swanson, Carlos Rodon, Jacob deGrom and more. 

Go thread! 

If anybody else than me wonder.

The name Dansby is primarily a male name of English origin that means From The Farmstead Of The Danes.

From an English surname for families who lived in or around the town of Danby, Yorkshire. Danby/Denby literally translates to farmstead of the Danes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villa89 said:

Judge surely going to stay with the Yanks?

Most likely, but you never know. Dude’s gonna get paid big time, no matter where he goes. I think he wants to be a Yankee, though, and he’s the face of the franchise now. Steinbrenner jr. is basically running a marketing firm with a baseball team, so he’ll be willing to dig deep to keep his most marketable asset. 

One I didn’t include on my list was Jose Abreu. He’s signing with Houston. He’s better than Gurriel, which means the champions just got a little better. 

To follow up on that, reports are suggesting the Yanks have put 8yrs/300m on the table for Judge to return. That’s an eye watering 37,5m AAV. 

Seems to be between them and SF. 

On 03/12/2022 at 02:55, El Zen said:

Wow. DeGrom to Texas for 5/185. Did not see him going to the Rangers. 

Typical Rangers signing. They'll be handcuffed by this for the next half decade.

25 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Typical Rangers signing. They'll be handcuffed by this for the next half decade.

It really is, isn’t it? 

Now they’ve got a couple of absolutely massive contracts with little chance of competing for a while. What’s the point? 

The Hot Stove is boiling hot! 

Trea Turner to Philly for 11/300

Verlander to NYM for 2/86 (plus 1/35 vesting.) 

JV seems to defy time, but f*** me that’s a lot of AAV for a guy who’ll be 40 before spring training starts. 

Meanwhile, Yankees GM Brian Cashman has signed…Brian Cashman to a four year extension. 

• Like 1

New Yorks sighs collectively in relief as Aaron Judge agrees a 9/360 deal to return to the Yankees. 

A tonne of money, but necessary. He’s the undisputed leader of the clubhouse, the face of the franchise and a phenomenal baseball player. 

He’ll probably be named captain too. 

I’m fine with the deal as long as they’ll spend more to improve the team. They’re not winning the WS with the current roster - and if they don’t add more, what’s the point in spending all that money in Judge?*

*The answer is marketability, of course. Judge puts bums in seats, sells merch and keeps YES ratings high. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Big time signing, they almost had to do it. 

It'll put more pressure on us to sign X and Devers.

Hopes not high tho

Just signed Kenley Jansen to a two year deal. You don’t sign an ageing elite money closer if you’re not planning to compete. 

Cards sign Wilson Contreras to replace Yadi Molina at backstop. 5/85. Pretty decent deal for them. Contreras is one of the best allround catchers in the game and I would have loved him for the Yanks.

Yoshida is interesting, if his bat translates well. Not a terrific defender, from what I’ve read, so he needs to hit.

Bogaerts to San Diego for 11/280, a deal that will take him into his 41st year. Padres already have Tatis jr. and Kim for SS and Machado for 3B. Hmmm. 

And what now for Boston on filling the gap at SS? Go after Correa or Swanson? Move Story back to his original position? 

Â