Ronaldo

Tom13

Also, came across this very interesting viewpoint which I believe gained very little (if any) publicity.

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/psv-blamed-injuries-ac-milans-ronaldo-169915

PSV Eindhoven are being blamed for the knee injuries suffered by AC Milan striker Ronaldo through his career.

The anti-doping co-ordinator of the Brazilian Federation has accused PSV Eindhoven of creating a monster.
"It is all the fault of PSV. In Holland they gave him vitamin integrators when he was very young and among these substances were anabolic steroids that could have boosted his growth more than was healthy," said Bernardino Santi in newspaper Folha.

"His muscles grew excessively and this accumulation of mass in a short period of time, when he had not yet completed his natural development, made his muscles incompatible with the structure of his bones.

"The effects of steroid use can only become apparent 10, 15 or even 20 years later."

Ronaldo played for PSV Eindhoven from 1994 to '96, but the Brazilian Federation immediately distanced itself from Santi's allegations and fired him

• Shocked 1

The 90s Haaland.  What a player Ronaldo was.  I really do wish he’d been around today in an era where sports science is a thing and defenders can’t just kick forwards out of the game.  

41 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Also, came across this very interesting viewpoint which I believe gained very little (if any) publicity.

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/psv-blamed-injuries-ac-milans-ronaldo-169915

There was a spate of Dutch players who tested positive for steroids in that era, Stam, Davids and Frank De Boer come to mind. I'm sure football has cleaned itself up in the meantime though.

• Like 3

Also a good read:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63432094

Ronaldo: The road to redemption with Brazil at the 2002 World Cup

The Brazil squad of 2002 have a WhatsApp group called 'Penta'.

Twenty years on from victory in Japan and South Korea, Cafu still messages daily as they reminisce about the nation's fifth world title. For Ronaldo, it is a welcome reminder of his redemption.

The rise was stratospheric.

After scoring 44 goals in 47 games in his first two seasons at Cruzeiro, Ronaldo went to USA '94 as a 17-year-old still bearing braces. He did not play a single minute, instead celebrating like a giddy kid waving an inflatable banana in Pierluigi Casiraghi's Italy shirt following Brazil's penalty shootout win in the final at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

A move to Europe, on the advice of team-mate Romario, followed and paved the way for a relentless goalscoring spree with PSV Eindhoven.

"You could tell straight away he had a certain thing about him," explains former team-mate Boudewijn Zenden, who would hang out in Ronaldo's penthouse and even bought a Portuguese For Dummies book so they could communicate better.

"He was lightning fast and any goalscoring opportunity, the one-on-ones, he always scored.

"There was only one way and that was towards the goal, always with pace and always with a good finish. He had tricks and could dribble anybody, but it was always clinical and lethal."

Off the pitch, he was always good fun and Zenden remembers dressing his mate up as a clown on a visit to Maastricht Carnival.

"As soon as he started smiling, everybody recognised him!" laughs the Dutchman. "He was a really nice guy, always with a smile on his face, always in for a joke."

When it came to football, though, Ronaldo was deadly serious.

Asked by a reporter how many goals he would score in his first season in the Netherlands, he said without a blink of an eye: "32."

"The journalist started laughing," recalls Zenden. "But Ronaldo didn't find it funny."

Ronaldo scored 32 domestic goals that season - 35 in 36 games when you add the scintillating hat-trick against Bayer Leverkusen in the Uefa Cup to his tally.

Now the press weren't laughing, they were completely captivated. So were PSV fans, belting out his name, while pundits gawped at this teenage phenomenon.

• Like 1

Didn't realise zenden was there at the same time so had a quick look, the team also included one Wilfred Bouma

The 94 world cup followed by ajax in the 94/95 CL was my first introduction to football outside of England but I remember nothing of Ronaldo until he got to Barca

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Was Eurogoals on Eurosport around when he was at PSV? I think I remember seeing him on that show but it could be Romario Im thinking of.

For me it was a Saturday morning world sports show I'm sure on channel 4 called something like transworld sports

I can remember seeing him on there for barca and inter but not PSV

51 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Was Eurogoals on Eurosport around when he was at PSV? I think I remember seeing him on that show but it could be Romario Im thinking of.

Eurogoals was a great show, they sometimes didnt have Serie A games but had highlights of a Belgian 3rd tier relegation playoff 😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

So apparently Ronaldo himself denied this. But if they were alleged or argued to be performance enhancing...I guess he would?

Edited by Tom13

Â