Unai Emery

PeterSw

We really shouldn't get used to the football we played for the second goal. We should remember what mostly the same players looked like under a different manager. Then we couldn't put more than 2 passes together on a good day, there were 20 passes building up to that goal in a first half where Burnley couldn't lay a glove on us. Some big tests coming up now in Liverpool then Chelsea but if he keeps up his near 2ppg average over the season we're going places, no doubt about it.

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I will never question his team selections again

As a fan it's kind of weird having someone this good managing us, because you almost don't question anything because you have such complete trust in his genius. I thought taking off Digne for Traore was weird but then I thought, it's Emery, he knows what he's doing, I have total trust.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

As a fan it's kind of weird having someone this good managing us, because you almost don't question anything because you have such complete trust in his genius. I thought taking off Digne for Traore was weird but then I thought, it's Emery, he knows what he's doing, I have total trust.

I also didn't mind the Newcastle defeat as I knew he would sort it out and analyse the crap out of it.

The meltdown in here was ridiculous

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I also didn't mind the Newcastle defeat as I knew he would sort it out and analyse the crap out of it.

The meltdown in here was ridiculous

Yep - even defeats can have a positive side because you know how much he'll analyse what went wrong and try and sort it out.

What I’ve really loved about the last two wins is that even though we led by a decent margin, it was controlled throughout. That doesn’t mean we had possession the whole time. During the last 10 minutes against Burnley, we hardly had the ball. 

How many times over the years have we seen Villa make a meal out of holding onto a lead. I don’t know what our record under Unai is, but I can’t remember the last blown lead we’ve had. Especially not 2 goals up. 

Part tactics but part mentality too. Better teams than Everton and Burnley will come after us, but I do feel relatively comfortable with a late lead under Unai. 

Just now, DJBOB said:

What I’ve really loved about the last two wins is that even though we led by a decent margin, it was controlled throughout. That doesn’t mean we had possession the whole time. During the last 10 minutes against Burnley, we hardly had the ball. 

How many times over the years have we seen Villa make a meal out of holding onto a lead. I don’t know what our record under Unai is, but I can’t remember the last blown lead we’ve had. Especially not 2 goals up. 

Part tactics but part mentality too. Better teams than Everton and Burnley will come after us, but I do feel relatively comfortable with a late lead under Unai. 

It's been remarked on many times but without the ball we are incredibly well-organised and hard to break down under Emery.

52 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Goal of the season 

It’s like the one we scored against Sheffield Wednesday when Big Ron was manager. I think there were 27 passes in that one

I believe since Unai’s arrival we’ve now collected 55 points.

Only mention it because “the 55 point season” we had with Smith has been held up as something of a bench mark since returning to the top flight by some, and I think to degree even comparing it to the dismal years prior to relegation. And I was one of those who did so.

Of course it’s worth nothing that he has been in charge for a mere 28 league games, so (hopefully) there’s a strong likelihood that the lockdown season points total will be knocked into a cocked hat by the time Unai has reached a season’s worth of league matches (and beyond that).

Spoiler

Yes, I realise by using the phrase “knocked into a cocked hat” I’m risking a Kenneth retort. Have at it.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Â