Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

20 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

All seriously inexperienced. Maybe great choices, but that's a fact.

With our current position and the general gloom surrounding we may end up having to choose between inexperienced, or tried and found not that good.

Emery is the only one I see now who is both experienced, proven to be really good and hasn't turned us down yet.

12 minutes ago, TomC said:

England has a big 6, which is more than the other leagues. That big 6 changes in membership (and number) from time-to-time, and while it's rare, Leicester isn't the first time a "small" club has won. 

Italy has only a big 3 which is permanent (occasionally a Roma or Napoli will sneak in), Spain a big 2 which is permanent (occasionally an Atletico will sneak in), Germany has a big 1 (occasionally a Dortmund or Gladbach will sneak in). Boring. I'd rather have the English league than any of those, any day.

My point is that I wouldn't rule out a manager who did well in Spain, Italy, Germany or France just because there are "only" two or three teams who can win the title.  There are plenty of excellent managers and coaches outside the PL who could do an excellent job in the PL.  Yet the achievements of some of those are dismissed because that league "isn't as strong as the PL".  In most of the top leagues, the quality of the smaller clubs is a lot better than many in England are aware - just because people haven't heard of the players and in most cases the squads haven't been assembled for £100 million.  A classic example would be Sassuolo in Italy - it was embarrassing reading some of the BBC "experts" talking about the Italian squad during Euro 2020 (2021) and clearly knowing nothing about the player or the team they played for.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Joachim lows a free agent. I think he is a masisve name in world football. Wouldn't say no to him if he was interested

I would and not just for his poor hygiene.

Collapsed as Germany manager when Flick left

6 minutes ago, messi11 said:

We need a separate thread on here for the people who think like the below:

Foreigner + No PL Experience = Garde 2.0/Poor Choice

Rules are simple.

1. Does he have experience coaching in one of the top 5 leagues? if no then

2. Does he have experience coaching in Europa League / Champions League? if no then

remove candidate from the shortlist

2 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Surprised that Roy Keane haven’t suggested himself yet as a candidate 🤣

I bet somewhere it has been mentioned.  It’s amazing the names that pop up in these circumstances.  I’m waiting for the Ole and Nuno mentions somewhere 😂

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Rules are simple.

1. Does he have experience coaching in one of the top 5 leagues? if no then

2. Does he have experience coaching in Europa League / Champions League? if no then

remove candidate from the shortlist

You do know Portuguese league Primeira Liga is in the top 5 leagues of Europe? 

Edited by messi11

22 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

He inherited a good team & has slowly made it worse. His style of football is a slow  & possession based which is brutal to watch & he builds vendettas against certain players & refuses to play them. He does not promote youth & is an egotistical prick. But other than that, he's ok.

Yes, I agree, but enough about Gerrard, what about Brendan?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Steve Bruce has managed over a thousand matches. Experienced and available 

And a net worth of over $40m - he has earned much much more from being sacked for being a shite manager than he ever did as a player.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

You do know Portuguese league Primeira Liga is in the top 5 league of Europe? 

My definition is England, Germany, Spain, France and Italy when I say big/top 5 leagues. I assume that's what most people would understand

Just now, CVByrne said:

My definition is England, Germany, Spain, France and Italy when I say big/top 5 leagues. I assume that's what most people would understand

Well you are wrong. But i'm happy for you. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

It’s was Big 4 originally, England, Spain, Italy and Germany. It only became Big 5 because of PSG

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

That's what is commonly meant, but I think  you can make a pretty good argument that France is a little lower than the other 4, and that Portugal and Holland are at the same general level as France.