Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

I reckon his contract will be heavily weighted and incentivised and also with performance related clauses. Maybe if he hasn’t reached certain benchmarks within his first 12 months then the payoff will be reduced. I do believe there will be a certain level of protection for the club in his contract. We aren’t a cowboy outfit whatever some will try and make you believe. 

48 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

What’s peoples opinion on Hassenhutl? 

Hasn't done enough at Saints to impress me. He is there a good few years now and they are no better than they were. Also, the ability to lose a Premier League game to Leicester by 9 goals to nil is not a good sign. A big No from me

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The top 6 do employ British coaches, the problem is that there are very few around recently to warrant consideration. Alex Fergusson, David Moyes and Brendan Rodgers?? 

One of them was appointed in 1986. Bit loose on the term recently

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I reckon his contract will be heavily weighted and incentivised and also with performance related clauses. Maybe if he hasn’t reached certain benchmarks within his first 12 months then the payoff will be reduced. I do believe there will be a certain level of protection for the club in his contract. We aren’t a cowboy outfit whatever some will try and make you believe. 

Or you could take the other view and hypothesize that Purslow was willing to offer him a crazy deal to bring him here. Remember he was top of the league with Rangers and playing in in a Europa League they almost ended up winning. He'll have been offered handsome terms to take the Villa job by his best pal Christian, who is not quite the shrewd mover that some seem to believe he is.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Poch with no compensation to pay is surely a really attractive proposition for the club right now. I do hope he’s a serious consideration?

I am not so sure it would be compensation free. When managers leave a club and get a pay off the pay off is normally linked to a clause that says if he returns to work as a manager that the pay off payments will cease. So Poch may have to forgo a good few million to take a new job which would probably be negotiated as a signing on fee. Its like a free agent, nothing is ever free

Just now, The_Steve said:

If Poch wants it, the job is his. Compensation won't be an issue. I don't think NWSE will go for an untested name again.

I agree with that, the issue is could we afford him. He would be 12m+ a year, plus a lot more in compensation. I think our budgeting and financial strategy would need to be changed. Finance people and senior management hate changing budgets, it is a sign of poor planning

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I would not like Rodgers.

He wouldn’t be my first choice but he’d be x10 better than Gerrard.

Hed get off to a good start, probably have a few good seasons and then would go stale like he’s currently doing at Leicester.

I agree with that, the issue is could we afford him. He would be 12m+ a year, plus a lot more in compensation. I think our budgeting and financial strategy would need to be changed. Finance people and senior management hate changing budgets, it is a sign of poor planning

Hmm. That’s an interesting counterpoint, I don’t think they would massively pivot but I think they will go for ambitious name. Gerrard as name value and potential made sense at the time but it soured like milk. Potter would be an interesting name. But I think they won’t settle for stability and want tangible progress so it’s about hitting the ground running. The squad can do a lot better in a different system. 

Rodgers is on 10m a year at Leicester. That makes 12m sound cheap.

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

What compensation? He's unemployed isn't he?

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

He wouldn’t be my first choice but he’d be x10 better than Gerrard.

Hed get off to a good start, probably have a few good seasons and then would go stale like he’s currently doing at Leicester.

This maybe unfair on the guy but I think the clubs he has been at made him look better than he is. Liverpool threw away the league when our current manager was playing and it wasn't just because of the slip against Chelsea. He managed Celtic when Rangers were turfed out of the Scot Prem and he has gradually brought Leicester downward since joining. Yes, he won the FA cup but there is a lot of luck involved in winning a cup and he had a close to prime Vardy in his team who was scoring for fun