Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

The exact people who have been behind Gerrard would have been moaning beyond belief with either. They want a big name.

Not just “they” the l club NWSE  wanted a big name. A bigger name was the next logical progression. It’s how you evolve and hopefully improve especially given their starting  base was Steve **** Bruce 

Edited by thabucks

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Not just They, the club NWSE presumably wanted a big name. A bigger name was the next logical progression. It’s how you evolve and hopefully improve especially given their starting  base was Steve **** Bruce 

They were wrong then.

Instead of a big name, why not a good manager?

16 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

What's this based on?

The praise and defence for the appointment of Steven Gerrard over Dean Smith, an actual Premier League manager.

The continued insistence despite poor team performances and evidence to the contrary Gerrard is the improvement we needed.

3 hours ago, daft said:

This is some very sound thinking by Jonas Boldt of Bayer Leverkusen. Whenever it happens, it needs to be right, and we must understand what that person needs and how to recreate the good part of his previous successes:

CA804E17-9ACB-46DD-BA72-4BF2F21964D1.thumb.jpeg.b0cb83dec8b0f5ab16e71c140c245278.jpeg

Last time we did anything like this was with Gregory. I know he'd gone to Wycombe for a bit but he was with Little for a good while, knew the club etc... and we were flying under him - until the Yorke & Collymore shit.

I just wish there was an ex-Villa player out there as a top manager right now, because if we came knocking, they'd not turn us down. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Last time we did anything like this was with Gregory. I know he'd gone to Wycombe for a bit but he was with Little for a good while, knew the club etc... and we were flying under him - until the Yorke & Collymore shit.

I just wish there was an ex-Villa player out there as a top manager right now, because if we came knocking, they'd not turn us down. 

Jesus guys, you latch on to the wrong thing. Internal is just one possible way that takes YEARS. I should have been more clear that I meant recreating the things that led to success part primarily.

31 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The praise and defence for the appointment of Steven Gerrard over Dean Smith, an actual Premier League manager.

The continued insistence despite poor team performances and evidence to the contrary Gerrard is the improvement we needed.

What's this got to do with "they" wanting a big name.

How do you know "they" would have moaned at either of the others you name?

There's a danger that 1 viewpoint gets conflated with another. I don't think anyone who has watched Villa under SG is impressed.

I don't think anyone necessarily wants a big name, but if anyone on this forum is asked an opinion on a coach it's invariably going to be based on a well known coach because that's who we know about. Gérard wasn't "welcomed" by fans because he was a name, it's because he offered a different approach to a manager (who I loved), but had clearly lost his way.

If you wanted Poch or Potter would you be guilty of wanting a big name?

I don't have any specific replacement in mind if/when it happens, but I won't feel any differently than I did when Smith was sacked. If you're talking a big game about competing for European spots, hire a manager who has proven he can get there, or at the very least has proven he can get the most out of a team. The system isn't important to me. Hiring somebody with the experience and ability to manage a club, both in the locker room, in training, and on the pitch are what matters to me. That was always my problem with the Gerrard hire, and why I was skeptical when it was the direction we chose. He had success at Rangers, but he never had to prove himself as a manager of a club that wasn't guaranteed to finish in the top two of its league.

May be controversial but I think Pochittino is a busted flush, didn’t do well at PSG and should have.

Potter has a faint whiff of Lambert about it, was awesome at a club that will never win anything and is aiming to just stay in the Premier League.  Low pressure, low risk management.

The more I think, the more I want Rogers.  Knows how to build teams, tactically and technically astute and a steady hand on the tiller for 3 or 4 years to push us on.

Given where we are, I think he is the safest option, particularly against the exotic overseas names.  We simply cannot gamble with the clubs future again

Edited by macandally
  • Like 2