Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 hour ago, Pissflaps said:

Lambert 2.0 at villa. Potter would be insane to come to villa. We would ruin his career.

The last Villa manager to go on to bigger and better things was Taylor over 30 years ago to the England job...  

• Like 1

Poch won’t come.  Potter would need a couple of seasons.  I’d have a look at Brendan Rodgers. He can't be happy with the way things have gone behind the scenes at Leicester. 

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

The one bit of ITK I have is at Brighton and my sense is that they'd fight tooth and nail to keep Potter, but that there's also a sense of inevitability that they'll lose him to a bigger club (or England) at some point.

Brighton are harsh negotiators which is fair enough for them. We could realistically get Potter but would probably cost 15-20 million. He isnt going to throw a tantrum to leave either

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I don't see how we don't lose all 3.

West Ham is quite a good game to judge I think. They've been a nightmare match up for us since we came back up. However they've just lost to a newly promoted team away like we have done (albeit missing a penalty and hitting woodwork a few times) and are integrating some new signings into the team. They also play away in Denmark on Thursday evening so will have to rotate the team a bit.

There's a chance for us but will sum Gerrard's reign up if he just plays the usual midfield and Rice runs through it.

If we lose that I can't see anything v Arsenal or Man. City so I can't see how he surivives five defeats out of six.

• Thanks 1

Best available managers currently out of work we should be looking at:

• Mauricio Pochettino - Probably not realistic, but we should absolutely contact him first.  Best out of work manager in Europe.
  • Rafa Benitez - A very controversial suggestion, considering his recent spell with Everton, but he's been successful just about everywhere he's been.  Newcastle and Liverpool fans both absolutely adore him and his number 1 strength is organizing defensively.
  • Marcelo Bielsa - Turned a mid-table Championship Leeds side into champions, then finished mid-table in the Prem before the magic wore off.  Regardless of the Villa v Leeds rivalry recently, we should definitely consider him.
  • Marco Rose - Didn't work out for him at Dortmund and I was surprised he wasn't given a bit more time than 1 season, but he was brilliant at Borussia Monchengladbach before that and has all the makings of being the next great German manager.

Potter has been brilliant at Brighton and should also be someone we talk to, but I'm just highlighting that there are others out there who would instantly improve us and would be capable of pushing us into European contention.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

West Ham is quite a good game to judge I think. They've been a nightmare match up for us since we came back up. However they've just lost to a newly promoted team away like we have done (albeit missing a penalty and hitting woodwork a few times) and are integrating some new signings into the team. They also play away in Denmark on Thursday evening so will have to rotate the team a bit.

There's a chance for us but will sum Gerrard's reign up if he just plays the usual midfield and Rice runs through it.

If we lose that I can't see anything v Arsenal or Man. City so I can't see how he surivives five defeats out of six.

West Ham won the first leg3-1 not sure they have much to worry about in the 2nd leg. Didnt play any big players either

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

• Mauricio Pochettino - Probably not realistic, but we should absolutely contact him first.  Best out of work manager in Europe.
  • Rafa Benitez - A very controversial suggestion, considering his recent spell with Everton, but he's been successful just about everywhere he's been.  Newcastle and Liverpool fans both absolutely adore him and his number 1 strength is organizing defensively.
  • Marcelo Bielsa - Turned a mid-table Championship Leeds side into champions, then finished mid-table in the Prem before the magic wore off.  Regardless of the Villa v Leeds rivalry recently, we should definitely consider him.
  • Marco Rose - Didn't work out for him at Dortmund and I was surprised he wasn't given a bit more time than 1 season, but he was brilliant at Borussia Monchengladbach before that and has all the makings of being the next great German manager.

Potter has been brilliant at Brighton and should also be someone we talk to, but I'm just highlighting that there are others out there who would instantly improve us and would be capable of pushing us into European contention.  

Marco Rose is a really intriguing one there.

Was a disappointing rather than terrible season at Dortmund so assume he didn't connect with the board. Jesse Marsch got sacked mid season at Leipzig but is doing o.k at Leeds so far.

Rose would come in with defined style of play and would have good connections to up and coming european talent so I'd certainly give him an interview and see how he presents his vision. 

2 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

A different shout then whats being mentioned - Thomas Frank? 

Would anyone have him? Would he even leave Brentford? 

He's doing a great job but I'm unsure he can take us to the next level 

I appreciate the ambition of wanting Poch but there's no way that's happening. He's deservedly elevated himself into being in the mix for elite clubs.

Rose could be an interesting one, I watched quite a bit of his Mochengladbach team and he did great work there. Wasn't exactly bad at Dortmund either, the league went about as you'd expect considering Bayern's dominance but the performances were underwhelming elsewhere which didn't help his cause. Not many other obvious options out of work right now but it's not like we're realistically going to be getting rid of Gerrard in the immediate future.

Whoever it is I just hope it's someone with proven coaching credentials at a level befitting the kind of ambition we're showing in the playing squad.

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

Marcelo Bielsa - Turned a mid-table Championship Leeds side into champions, then finished mid-table in the Prem before the magic wore off.  Regardless of the Villa v Leeds rivalry recently, we should definitely consider him.

And thats a No from me...apart from the fact that our whole team would have no hamstrings left within a week.

27 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I appreciate the ambition of wanting Poch but there's no way that's happening. He's deservedly elevated himself into being in the mix for elite clubs.

Rose could be an interesting one, I watched quite a bit of his Mochengladbach team and he did great work there. Wasn't exactly bad at Dortmund either, the league went about as you'd expect considering Bayern's dominance but the performances were underwhelming elsewhere which didn't help his cause. Not many other obvious options out of work right now but it's not like we're realistically going to be getting rid of Gerrard in the immediate future.

Whoever it is I just hope it's someone with proven coaching credentials at a level befitting the kind of ambition we're showing in the playing squad.

Rose had a lot of injury problems at Dortmund last season too, and still got the club to finish where they were expected.  He's my first choice, but is probably the least likely to come to Villa with Purslow heading up the interviews.  Purslow's shortlist will probably be Potter, Vieira, and Scott Parker.  

Edited by KMitch

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

Bielsa would relegate us