January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

8 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I can't see how anybody outside the inner sanctum realistically knows our budget. I also think Emery has been promised significant funds. He's not here to tread water.

I agree.  I can’t believe how extreme the ends of the spectrum are being from having little to spend and likely hold with the current squad in January, maybe add one player to the other end of speculation in signing somebody like Felix and the insane cost comes with that.  

Emery is bound to get significant funds to spend over the coming transfer windows because he isn’t here to float just below midtable but the extremes being talked about makes me laugh and certainly aside from those in the inner sanctum nobody knows our budget.

Possible that we have found someone to take coutinho and that his wages could help subsidize felix’s?

also possible that Felix relationship with his manager is completely untenable and is desperate to leave?

all I know is he needs to calm his jets a bit and stop playing like he did last night or our small chances of signing him will drop even further!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Just remember that Unai Emery is an elite world class manager. 

I understand that but the big elephant in the room though is the cost, we aren’t even in that league or even close.  

Yes we have incredibly rich owners but we have FFP considerations and our financials are not that of a club that can purchase a Felix. Unless his club took a massive loss on his fee that they paid, even greater than 50% and he took a reduction in wages, he’s well out of our league financially.  

This can’t be possibly a real option.

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I understand that but the big elephant in the room though is the cost, we aren’t even in that league or even close.  

Yes we have incredibly rich owners but we have FFP considerations and our financials are not that of a club that can purchase a Felix. Unless his club took a massive loss on his fee that they paid, even greater than 50% and he took a reduction in wages, he’s well out of our league financially.  

He will cost around £50mil

He's in 150k a week. 

Not that big of a transfer 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You’re probably right tbf. We’d have to get rid of at least Ings and Coutinho to be able to afford this bloke (I’d Imagine). No way anybody is taking Ings off us. 

That said, we do pay Digne £150k a week. That tells me we’re happy to pay it if we can. 

I’ve been thinking more and more about our team in February and there are a lot of decisions to make…

Personally, id go with this….

————————Thuram————————
———————Félix———————————
Chukwueze———————————Bailey
———————Luiz——Kamara—————

Then bring Ramsey, Buendia and Coutinho on in the second half.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I can't see how anybody outside the inner sanctum realistically knows our budget. I also think Emery has been promised significant funds. He's not here to tread water.

There is no way some random ITK on Twitter knows how much Emery will have to spend.

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve been thinking more and more about our team in February and there are a lot of decisions to make…

Personally, id go with this….

————————Thuram————————
———————Félix———————————
Chukwueze———————————Bailey
———————Luiz——Kamara—————

Then bring Ramsey, Buendia and Coutinho on in the second half.

If we did somehow manage to get Joao Felix, then we don't get Thuram IMO.  I don't think we will sign any Villarreal players either.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That said, we do pay Digne £150k a week. That tells me we’re happy to pay it if we can. 

Quotes of Felix’s wages range between £225k and £280k per week.

Just now, duke313 said:

£241,992 according to fbref.com.

Yep, I was doing the range from the usual sites like the one you mention.  It looks like about £100k per week more than our top earner.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep, I was doing the range from the usual sites like the one you mention.  It looks like about £100k per week more than our top earner.

Just can't see it happening due to the finances involved, as much as I would love him here.   I do wonder if our name has been leaked to try and get a move somewhere else, but then why would they not use Newcastle, would be more realistic with the money involved.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Just can't see it happening due to the finances involved, as much as I would love him here.   I do wonder if our name has been leaked to try and get a move somewhere else, but then why would they not use Newcastle, would be more realistic with the money involved.

I agree re the finances.  It could be several reasons why we are linked and just an example maybe because of Emery’s name or maybe we are actually after a different A.Madrid and the speculation got the wrong player just because the CEO has said JF is for sale.  Probably other reasons as well.