Pre match thread

VillaChris

With Leicester thread being locked a good time to start this.

Yes 7 days away but going to be some waiting to see if this goes ahead.

It should for reasons I've stated elsewhere. A home game to Southampton must be one of the lowest risk fixtures we play at VP all season. Their fanbase is decent but with it being Friday night I'd be surprised if they came close to selling out their allocation.

So plenty to discuss. Still feels a bit like Gerrard is in last chance saloon. However if we win it that's 7 points from 12 available at VP so solid enough home form.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

With Leicester thread being locked a good time to start this.

Yes 7 days away but going to be some waiting to see if this goes ahead.

It should for reasons I've stated elsewhere. A home game to Southampton must be one of the lowest risk fixtures we play at VP all season. Their fanbase is decent but with it being Friday night I'd be surprised if they came close to selling out their allocation.

So plenty to discuss. Still feels a bit like Gerrard is in last chance saloon. However if we win it that's 7 points from 12 available at VP so solid enough home form.

They have sold out in fairness to them, not sure if a smaller allocation though? We're a few hundred seats away from following suit.

Surely this game will go ahead? The funeral is looking likely to be Monday 19th so why on earth would a game in the second city be called off on Friday 16th because of it? 

• Like 3

Fair play to them if they've sold both tiers! 2.8k on a Friday night and six hour round trip not to be dismissed. Did we sell out down there last season for DS last match?

Just read an article online that premier league intention is to try to get as many matches as possible played next weekend and only London fixtures in doubt (and probably Man. United-Leeds) so yes we really should be playing on Friday night as I can't see a genuine reason not to play given the test match is going on as we speak.

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Fair play to them if they've sold both tiers! 2.8k on a Friday night and six hour round trip not to be dismissed. Did we sell out down there last season for DS last match?

Just read an article online that premier league intention is to try to get as many matches as possible played next weekend and only London fixtures in doubt (and probably Man. United-Leeds) so yes we really should be playing on Friday night as I can't see a genuine reason not to play given the test match is going on as we speak.

Yes mate, to my knowledge we have sold out (usually in the blink of an eye) every away game we've played for as long as I can remember, certainly since before Dean Smith. Most home games too!

Onto Friday, I'm hoping that the article you have seen turns out to be reality. Wouldn't it be fantastic to see the VP atmosphere like that Friday night v Everton when we first got promoted under DS and like last time out against Sportswash City FC?!

A similar performance and scoreline to this fixture last season would go down a treat.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wedge said:

Yes mate, to my knowledge we have sold out (usually in the blink of an eye) every away game we've played for as long as I can remember, certainly since before Dean Smith. Most home games too!

Onto Friday, I'm hoping that the article you have seen turns out to be reality. Wouldn't it be fantastic to see the VP atmosphere like that Friday night v Everton when we first got promoted under DS and like last time out against Sportswash City FC?!

A similar performance and scoreline to this fixture last season would go down a treat.

Yep, its essentially impossible to get away tickets through the official routes now unless you have a booking history of away games from the previous season. 

I remember the season we got relegated and a few of the seasons before (Lambert era mainly) it was usually OK to grab an away ticket through the official site without that much of a history. I live in London so used to try and catch the London games. Not possible now 

• Like 1

Should be a good game if this goes ahead, Saints are a good team and always give us a game and Hassenhutl always comes across well. The 2 sides are quite evenly matched and they do often get the better of us but I loved going down there in December 2013 in the Kozak game which was brilliant, travelling all that way and coming home with a win.

In regards to away games it is hard to get them, I was able to build up my history back in the early lambert years by picking the far away games at unsual times like cardiff away, newcastle away early kickoff on sunday, sunderland away, Everton evening kickoff etc....then one year i wasnt able to renew my season ticket and lost all the 5+ away games from the previous season. since then i havent been able to get back on the away track unfortunately, especially as in the championship it went to 18+ aways i think.

So they have been hard to get but not impossible, i think when the novelty starts to wear off a bit in a few seasons you might be able to get them for games which have unsual kick off times or take place on a weekday which you can get too. As im not a teenager or student anymore these games are harder for me to get to, but will keep a look out and try to pounce if possible

• Like 1

If the Leicester game is rescheduled to 17/18 January, then I'm guessing this one would go into February?

It could be a pretty intense five or six week period after the world cup, with a lot of games and the FA Cup - we might end up playing both Leicester and Southampton twice in a matter of three weeks or so.

I actually think that might prove to be to our advantage - I think our depth and ability to rotate might be a positive factor.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If the Leicester game is rescheduled to 17/18 January, then I'm guessing this one would go into February?

It could be a pretty intense five or six week period after the world cup, with a lot of games and the FA Cup - we might end up playing both Leicester and Southampton twice in a matter of three weeks or so.

I actually think that might prove to be to our advantage - I think our depth and ability to rotate might be a positive factor.

I think we'll just played Leicester away in one of the european midweeks in October.

Lyon played a French league fixture just this week amongst CL games.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I think we'll just played Leicester away in one of the european midweeks in October.

Lyon played a French league fixture just this week amongst CL games.

I thought the Prem had already said those games would be 17/18 January? That's certainly what the press have picked up on.

I think this game on Friday is particularly difficult to predict in terms of whether it'll go ahead - we'll be a week on from the death and still a few days from the funeral - it'll just be about whether the Premier league wants to respect the full official grieving period.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought the Prem had already said those games would be 17/18 January? That's certainly what the press have picked up on.

I think this game on Friday is particularly difficult to predict in terms of whether it'll go ahead - we'll be a week on from the death and still a few days from the funeral - it'll just be about whether the Premier league wants to respect the full official grieving period.

Ah right, I thought they might want to play all games in chunks rather than one full round, no idea if Sky/BT will still show some as TV games.

It would make sense to try to get games played before world cup if possible as don't know what weather will be like in January of course so you risk a real backlog.

Press articles today hinting that premier league want to get as many games as possible playing next weekend so basically comes down to non-London games should go ahead but ones in London will be very difficult to have necessary security given Chelsea-Liverpool is on Sunday so can't see that one happening. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sanson to still get 0 mins :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

This wont go ahead surely if funeral is 19th

The game is 125 miles away from Westminster Abbey and will take place 63 hours before the funeral so I don't honestly see a good reason to call it off and think premier league will get the Friday and Saturday games on.

Sunday ones will all be big doubts I suspect.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The game is 125 miles away from Westminster Abbey and will take place 63 hours before the funeral so I don't honestly see a good reason to call it off and think premier league will get the Friday and Saturday games on.

Sunday ones will all be big doubts I suspect.

Exactly why it will get postponed.  You either postpone them all or none at all. Not fair on the ones playing sunday or monday

54 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Exactly why it will get postponed.  You either postpone them all or none at all. Not fair on the ones playing sunday or monday

I don’t think there is an advantage if some teams play and other doesn’t. If the entire round is cancelled there are more matches to reschedule in an already packed fixture list.

I can’t see any of the London fixtures taking place, but there is a possibility that the other matches will go ahead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Premier league are briefing to the press their intention is to get as many games on as possible next weekend.

Is there even space post xmas for two full rounds to be placed in the schedule?

If they can get 7-8 of the fixtures on next weekend they'll do that.

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Initially I was of the belief that this game would be cancelled but I am starting to think it will go ahead. With the cricket, golf, European games and other sports returning to action I am feeling the PL will try and get a game week in next weekend

I think the biggest issue is policing

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think the biggest issue is policing

I get the thoughts on policing but I just don't really see it as an issue myself. The police are very experienced and capable of policing football matches and have always managed to multitask with other major events happening at the same time