Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The more I look at the remaining fixtures the more I don't think we'll finish in the top 7. If we were to continue scoring at 2 points/game - an absurdly high rate, all things considered - we would end up with 63 points. To do that we'd have to win 4 from 6, probably beating Fulham, Wolves, Spurs and Brighton and losing to Utd and Liverpool as the more likely combination to achieve that.

That's already really unlikely, but it would be pretty easy for Brighton to match it - all they'd need to do is get 4 wins, 2 draws and 3 losses from their remaining *9* games. Our only real hope I think is Spurs losing tomorrow and then us bettering their results through the rest of the season, leaving them in 8th and us in 7th. I don't see us finishing 5th or 6th. 

Why do you think we can't beat Manure who have FA Cup semi final and Spurs away before us and joke CB pairing of Maguire and Lindelof?

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think that and didn't say it. Read the post again. 

"losing to United and Liverpool"

How many of our previous 5 wins did you have us drawing or losing out of curiosity

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

"losing to United and Liverpool"

How many of our previous 5 wins did you have us drawing or losing out of curiosity

'as the more likely combination to achieve that'

Do you have a hard time reading?

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Why do you it's more likely losing to United as per my previous point

Because, amongst other things, they're a pretty good side who are 3rd in the table for a reason, and we're away from home and all things being equal it's not an easy place to go and win. That's not to say it's impossible, but in the circumstances of us managing to get 4 wins and 2 losses I would think it would be more likely that the Utd game would be in the loss column than most of the others. You don't agree, fine. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The more I look at the remaining fixtures the more I don't think we'll finish in the top 7. If we were to continue scoring at 2 points/game - an absurdly high rate, all things considered - we would end up with 63 points. To do that we'd have to win 4 from 6, probably beating Fulham, Wolves, Spurs and Brighton and losing to Utd and Liverpool as the more likely combination to achieve that.

That's already really unlikely, but it would be pretty easy for Brighton to match it - all they'd need to do is get 4 wins, 2 draws and 3 losses from their remaining *9* games. Our only real hope I think is Spurs losing tomorrow and then us bettering their results through the rest of the season, leaving them in 8th and us in 7th. I don't see us finishing 5th or 6th. 

I was always more worried about Liverpool and Brighton than finishing in 4th, that was never going to happen.

I don't want to finish 7th though for the conference league it will add too many games to the schedule for no prestige or money and crucially it will effect us in the league next season.

• Confused 3

23 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I don't want to finish 7th though for the conference league it will add too many games to the schedule for no prestige or money and crucially it will effect us in the league next season.

My Liverpool-supporting friend says the same thing. He'd rather finish 8th than 7th because of that. (But he'd rather finish 6th than 8th).

32 minutes ago, robby b said:

My Liverpool-supporting friend says the same thing. He'd rather finish 8th than 7th because of that. (But he'd rather finish 6th than 8th).

Not surprised, I'd rather finish 6th too, that competition has money and prestige 

I think we can bear united next Sunday if we get couple players back from injury united are playing Spurs Thursday night at Spurs then us on Sunday, they also have a mountain of injuries which will help us also, think we can be optimistic about going there & picking up points, the 2 tricky games for us is Liverpool away & Brighton at home in my eyes. Let's see where we are after Fulham, game by game.

24 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Take it game by game for me it's in our hands for me the key is we need Cash , Phil , and Kamara to return. We need more depth on our bench.

I agree. Bailey too. What’s wrong with Coutinho anyway? Have they ever said?

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Because, amongst other things, they're a pretty good side who are 3rd in the table for a reason, and we're away from home and all things being equal it's not an easy place to go and win. That's not to say it's impossible, but in the circumstances of us managing to get 4 wins and 2 losses I would think it would be more likely that the Utd game would be in the loss column than most of the others. You don't agree, fine. 

Don’t bother mate, everybody else understood what you were saying. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I hope people around the team are trying to manage expectations. Looking at the games various teams have left, Villa most likely will end up 8th (bookies agree). Still a brilliant ending if we remember where we came from in October, but with every media in the country lately talking about Villa going to Europe there is a risk some will end up being disappointed.

For me, it’s all about 2023/24. Anything this season is just a very unexpected bonus.

This...  People acting like the Champions League was a possibility this week were delusional.  I'd be over the moon with 8th and anything beyond that would be icing on the cake.  I'm also worried that some of the "get it forward" brigade will start to moan if we don't finish 5th/6th and start to vocally question the brilliance of Emery if we "bottle the run in".

• Like 2

We have to take it game by game but we simply have to beat Fulham. I can’t envisage a scenario where we lose to Fulham and still finish in the top 7. The teams around us just have too many games to play and enough quality to see it through. 

Beat Fulham and see where we’re at. It may even be that we need to go to United and get all 3 points. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We will. Watkins will have field day against that defence

We should be constantly pinging balls down the side of them / over the top for Watkins to spin and chase after. Maguire and Lindelof lack pace. It may even be Shaw playing there but he’s not the quickest either. 

They’ve still got a very good side even with the injuries. Fernandes, Martial, Casemiro, Sabitzer, Eriksen etc. these aren’t mugs. 

58 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I hope people around the team are trying to manage expectations. Looking at the games various teams have left, Villa most likely will end up 8th (bookies agree). Still a brilliant ending if we remember where we came from in October, but with every media in the country lately talking about Villa going to Europe there is a risk some will end up being disappointed.

For me, it’s all about 2023/24. Anything this season is just a very unexpected bonus.

Agreed 👍 it's next season I'm looking forward to most specially with a sprinkling of his own signings. Like you say anything from this season will be a bonus