Should Thatch get a state funeral (no she's not dead yet)?

snowychap

Should Thatcher receive a state funeral when she goes?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should Thatcher receive a state funeral when she goes?

• No
    • Aye
    • Couldn't care less

State funeral planned for Lady Thatcher

Lady Thatcher is expected to be granted the rare honour of a state funeral when she dies.

The first since Sir Winston Churchill's in 1965, the funeral would acknowledge the exceptional impact of her 11-year premiership in reversing the decline in Britain's postwar fortunes.

As such, it would be certain to prove controversial among the many people who lost their jobs during the "Thatcher revolution" which reintroduced market forces into many fields of activity and for which she has not been forgiven by some.

Yesterday, when the consent of Buckingham Palace and No 10 was reported by the Mail on Sunday, there were doubts that Britain's overstretched armed forces would have the numbers to line the route which a coffin would probably take to St Paul's Cathedral.

Since Lady Thatcher, now 82 and six months older than the Queen, is in relatively good shape, such public speculation is deemed inappropriate, as it was for the Queen Mother before her death at 101 in 2002.

But in all such cases detailed planning is necessary.

State funerals are routinely accorded only to monarchs, and Buckingham Palace was forced into a compromise after being wrongfooted over the sudden death of Princess Diana in 1997, the most memorable public funeral in Britain since Queen Victoria's.

In the 19th century, four state funerals were granted to "commoners" - Lord Nelson after his death at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington, a prime minister as well as victor over Napoleon at the battle of Waterloo, Lord Palmerston and William Gladstone, both popular inhabitants of No 10.

I've never been quite sure where I stand on Thatcher (although I figure in keeping with the topic, I'll know when she's dead. On top of her grave...). She did some good, and she did some bad by doing good at the expense of a fairly large group of people. I think the very fact she divides opinion so much could be a reason for her not to have one.

I seem to remember someone saying she should have a urinal for a headstone.

Thatcher? No - on what basis should she be given one?

Churchill was given one based on the fact that he was PM during the war - if it had been based solely on his views on other things such as imperialism, racism, mass murder of Russian's, use of Gas against the Kurds (yep he started before Saddam) etc, then he would have been a 50 bob Co-Op job

Heath couldn't defeat the Trade Unions. He was rejected by the people when he wanted a mandate to weaken their power. Thatcher did weaken the power of the Trade Unions, significantly.

Some say we wouldn't have what we have today, economically without her. Go into some parts of England, Wales and Scotland where she destroyed some areas and you'll get lynched.

She didn't unite the entire people, like Churchill did during the war. She shouldn't get a state funeral.

exactly reality, a state funeral should be given to someone who unites the nation, even for the queen mother or queen I would say they deserve(d) one

thatcher by any measure certainly did not do that even pro thatcherites would acknowledge that, remember in polls she never got over 44% did she ?

Shocking that its even being considered in my view given the feelings many have towards here up and down the country even all these years later. If it was a standard thing for all PM's I'd support it regardless of the actions of the individual but seeing as it isn't then there is no way I'd support the notion for Thatcher.

remember in polls she never got over 44% did she ?

I think the last party to get returned to government with over 44% of the vote was the Tories in 1970 so I'm not quite sure of the relevance?

On the state funeral question, I'd say no.

exactly reality, a state funeral should be given to someone who unites the nation, even for the queen mother or queen I would say they deserve(d) one

thatcher by any measure certainly did not do that even pro thatcherites would acknowledge that, remember in polls she never got over 44% did she ?

I agree.

Churchill wasn't the most competent PM. Remember he was kicked out, some of his policies were disasters, but what made him was defeating Hitler. That and the fact he was a fantastic and shrewd public speaker, who rallied the nation in its darkest hour. Touring the rubble, after the horrific Luftwaffe attacks on British civilians turned the whole ethics of the war on its head.

I don't think so, the only person I think worthy of a state funeral in the next few years - provided Lizzie stays fit and well - is Harry Patch, the last Tommy.

Thatcher was simply too divisive imo.

Well seeing as she divided the country, why not divide the remembrance - a state funeral for all those who want to attend, and a street party for those that don't.

Mr Reasonable in off the fence shocker...

one of the few topics sure to raise Mr Bland's passions, methinks.

He loves her really. He's gpt posters of her on his wall :winkold: :lol:

Â