Premier League Squad Ranking

Herman22

I was in the pub with a few guys last night (nice to be able to do that again) and this question came up. If you were to rank the premier league squads on the players ability alone where would you put Villa? There were 5 of us 2 Villa supporters,  1 United, 1 Liverpool and 1 Newcastle. This is mine. 
1. Man City

2. Liverpool 

3. Chelsea

4. Man United

5. Spurs 

6. Arsenal 

7. Leicester

8. Wolves

9. West Ham

10. Everton

11. VILLA

12. Palace

13. Southampton 

14. Brighton

15. Leeds

16. Newcastle 

17.Brentford 

18. Burnley

19. Watford

20. Norwich

I think you could have the teams from  10-14 in any order. What’s yours? 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I was in the pub with a few guys last night (nice to be able to do that again) and this question came up. If you were to rank the premier league squads on the players ability alone where would you put Villa? There were 5 of us 2 Villa supporters,  1 United, 1 Liverpool and 1 Newcastle. This is mine. 
1. Man City

2. Liverpool 

3. Chelsea

4. Man United

5. Spurs 

6. Arsenal 

7. Leicester

8. Wolves

9. West Ham

10. Everton

11. VILLA

12. Palace

13. Southampton 

14. Brighton

15. Leeds

16. Newcastle 

17.Brentford 

18. Burnley

19. Watford

20. Norwich

SHA 92nd

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

1. Man City

2. Liverpool 

3. Chelsea

4. Man United

5. Spurs 

6. Arsenal 

7. Leicester

8. Wolves

9. West Ham

10. Everton

11. VILLA

12. Palace

13. Southampton 

14. Brighton

15. Leeds

16. Newcastle 

17.Brentford 

18. Burnley

19. Watford

20. Norwich

I think that's pretty bang on actually. 

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd go

1. Manchester City
  2. Chelsea
  3. Liverpool

For the top three. Liverpool have some exceptional players, but not great depth.

Liverpool fan I was out with said the same thing. 

• Like 1

The reason I ask this question is, what’s a reasonable finish for Villa considering their squad. And for me that’s 11th. We’re currently 12th in the league with 27 points from 24 games! Yes some teams are doing better than their squad (West Ham, Wolves) and some are doing badly (Leicester) but I think from a Villa perspective we’re about where we should be. 
That doesn’t mean I’m happy to be mid table or that the last few games haven’t been poor. I just think we need to trust the process and we’ll get there! 

• Like 1

Villa should be a bit higher on the original list - certainly higher than Everton, possibly higher than Wolves too IMO.  I'm also not convinced Arsenal's squad is that good... but maybe 6th.

I think we "should finish" top half - probably top 8.

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Any stattos know where you can then find squad cost and squad annual wages? 

That would make for an interesting comparison 

Agree that the OP 1 to 20 is pretty accurate 

Not squad cost but current value (sort of) at Transfermarkt. Squad wages at Spotrac.com/Premier League/rankings

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Herman22 said:

1. Man City

2. Liverpool 

3. Chelsea

4. Man United

5. Spurs 

6. Arsenal 

7. Leicester

8. Wolves

9. West Ham

10. Everton

11. VILLA

12. Palace

13. Southampton 

14. Brighton

15. Leeds

16. Newcastle 

17.Brentford 

18. Burnley

19. Watford

20. Norwich

I really dont think West Hams squad should be above ours. Perhaps the performances of Rice and Bowen have moved them above this season though. Also some of our players have regressed.

17 hours ago, turvontour said:

I really dont think West Hams squad should be above ours. Perhaps the performances of Rice and Bowen have moved them above this season though. Also some of our players have regressed.

Yeah I think that middle section of the table is up for debate. I think West Ham have a few really quality players who are experienced in the PL. Like you say Rice and Bowen have had a great season. But Antonio is a good prem striker, Fabianski is a good keeper, Ogbona, Souchek, Coufal, Cresswell, Zouma, Benrahma,… IMO they have far more strength in depth than we have. 

Â