Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

45 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Who would be this experienced player Gerrard knows who would be in the running for Captaincy? Probably Wijnaldum 

Jermain Defoe

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Who would be this experienced player Gerrard knows who would be in the running for Captaincy? Probably Wijnaldum 

Wijnaldum who disappeared in away games in Newcastle relegation season when he was needed most or the guy who had 9 touches playing centre midfield recently for PSG in a league game who had over 60% possession in the game

Definitely not a leader

Wijnaldum has a big chance of coming to us. He's moving back to the Premier League this summer for sure. Arsenal seem favourites for him. He's won everything and captained Liverpool and his country a load of times. If he was alongside a destroyer CDM imagine Phillips or Bissouma. That's a totally different level of midfield. 

Ramsey Bissouma Wijnaldum. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Wijnaldum who disappeared in away games in Newcastle relegation season when he was needed most or the guy who had 9 touches playing centre midfield recently for PSG in a league game who had over 60% possession in the game

Definitely not a leader

Jurgen Klopp would disagree with you on that. Made him captain for most of the remaining games of his final season and said his presence in the dressing room was very very much missed.

Sounds to me like he was a leader. I'll go with Klopps opinions over yours on this one. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Jurgen Klopp would disagree with you on that. Made him captain for most of the remaining games of his final season and said his presence in the dressing room was very very much missed.

Sounds to me like he was a leader. I'll go with Klopps opinions over yours on this one. 

Yet he is available for a small fee and Klopp wont touch him 🤔🤔

Wijnaldum has declined drastically in the last year and a half. The player he was 3 years ago would have been amazing. The current one would be a huge gamble imo. He's pretty much been a passenger for PSG since joining them.

He's a tiny player so his body and lungs should not be an issue but he plays like he's lost both. His passing is still good thou. Maybe it's just an attitude and application issue but even that would not be great.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Wijnaldum has declined drastically in the last year and a half. The player he was 3 years ago would have been amazing. The current one would be a huge gamble imo. He's pretty much been a passenger for PSG since joining them.

He's a tiny player so his body and lungs should not be an issue but he plays like he's lost both. His passing is still good thou. Maybe it's just an attitude and application issue but even that would not be great.

We can point to Coutinho or Abumayang or the endless list of players who recover their form after a move. Klopp wanted him to stay at Liverpool only last summer and our midfield is a complete joke and people turning their noses up at a player like Wijnaldum. 

Boggles the mind. 

• Like 1

Ming's is the only leader in that dressing room apart from Emi Martinez and can't see him being made captain.

If Gerrard takes it off him it's because he's unlikely to play all the time. If that's the case make him Club Captain and phase him out like we did with Stan, Gabby and Chester.

No need to give it a big speech on what a captain means and why he might take it off Ty, he's one of the best examples of a captain in the league, by far our best leader. If he's going to get phased out, cool, I may not agree but I can understand why... But not sure any question on captain needed to receive a longer answer than 'Tyrone is our club captain for the foreseeable'

• Like 2

Even players like Wijnaldum are perhaps beyond us at the current time, unless the manager has a sway because of their relationship.  Much as it pains me to say it, I think our pool of players will be those who are either tried and tested at this level but likely to be surplus to requirements, at their current club such as, and for example a Shelvey or McTominay, or we pay over the odds for the likes of Bissouma, which I would prefer to be honest as he is a better player.  If we could get Wijnaldum, I would snatch their hands off.  Interestingly, Steven Gerrard did recently say that age, in terms of players, doesn't bother him.  I just hope Lange is currently looking at better players than the two named above! 

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We can point to Coutinho or Abumayang or the endless list of players who recover their form after a move. Klopp wanted him to stay at Liverpool only last summer and our midfield is a complete joke and people turning their noses up at a player like Wijnaldum. 

Boggles the mind. 

Can point to players like Drinkwater, Dele Alli and so on where it didn't.

Wijnaldum is 31 which is no age really, but his form has moved in the wrong way. You've clearly seen more from him this year than I have but for me it's a expensive gamble and the name rather than current ability is what gets people excited. Still a better player than McGinn and Ramsey of course so would be a short term upgrade. Would still need us to sign a DM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I actually think that Henderson would be class for us. He is exactly what we need. No chance of it happening though.

I agree, I’d love Henderson here even though he’s 32 in June but he’s too important for them and too many would complain on here because of his age.  No chance of happening

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, STO said:

Even players like Wijnaldum are perhaps beyond us at the current time, unless the manager has a sway because of their relationship.  Much as it pains me to say it, I think our pool of players will be those who are either tried and tested at this level but likely to be surplus to requirements, at their current club such as, and for example a Shelvey or McTominay, or we pay over the odds for the likes of Bissouma, which I would prefer to be honest as he is a better player.  If we could get Wijnaldum, I would snatch their hands off.  Interestingly, Steven Gerrard did recently say that age, in terms of players, doesn't bother him.  I just hope Lange is currently looking at better players than the two named above! 

Agreed. We have to hope Gerrard has the sway to say come here. You'll get a 4 year contract. Get Suarez in too. Get Gomez in. We have then added experience in the spine of the team.

Hickey and Phillips/Bissouma and we're finished. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Can point to players like Drinkwater, Dele Alli and so on where it didn't.

Wijnaldum is 31 which is no age really, but his form has moved in the wrong way. You've clearly seen more from him this year than I have but for me it's a expensive gamble and the name rather than current ability is what gets people excited. Still a better player than McGinn and Ramsey of course so would be a short term upgrade. Would still need us to sign a DM.

Yes but they weren't captaining of big clubs the way Wijnaldum was and Abumayang was. I think there is a way to tell if a player still has got it and it's just not working out. The right characters. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

Yes but they weren't captaining of big clubs the way Wijnaldum was and Abumayang was. I think there is a way to tell if a player still has got it and it's just not working out. The right characters. 

Didn't Auba pretty much down tools at Arsenal until he got his move to Barca?

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed. We have to hope Gerrard has the sway to say come here. You'll get a 4 year contract. Get Suarez in too. Get Gomez in. We have then added experience in the spine of the team.

Hickey and Phillips/Bissouma and we're finished. 

You want Gerrard to give Wijnaldum a 4 year deal. He is 32 next season 

It will be the new MON

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Wasn't Aubameyang Arsenal captain and was a disgrace 

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Boggles the mind. 

To me it makes sense to focus on what players have done the last year or two. Not what they’ve done historically.

For players who move abroad many seem to expect them to still be like they where when they left the country.

If Wijnaldum had played like he’s done at PSG but at a PL club instead, I don’t think we would be chasing him.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

You want Gerrard to give Wijnaldum a 4 year deal. He is 32 next season 

It will be the new MON

Adding Wijnaldum, Suarez, Gomez and Bissouma would be something like £750k-£1m/w extra in salaries to go with whatever Coutinho would command. That's a pretty hefty chunk.

Not sure the club could/should afford that even if the combined fees "only" add up to £100m or so. Also big question marks around all those players for me. 

• Like 3