Formula One - 2022

BOF

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Absolutely awful circuit. Luckily max and Charles saved the race and made it very entertaining

It's not a great circuit but then how many good street circuits are there on the calendar........Singapore and at a push Baku

5 hours ago, mykeyb said:

It's not a great circuit but then how many good street circuits are there on the calendar........Singapore and at a push Baku

True but the sheer speed of this one is what makes it so bad. 80% of the track is full throttle. Means there's literally two passing opportunities on the track, and one of those was compromised by the DRS detection zone making it kinda pointless to pass there anyway

I really dislike the fact that the DRS detection is so far ahead of the DRS zone, it creates those stupid scenarios where it’s better to be behind than in front. 

I hope it’s something that gets fixed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I really dislike the fact that the DRS detection is so far ahead of the DRS zone, it creates those stupid scenarios where it’s better to be behind than in front. 

I hope it’s something that gets fixed.

If the new regulations improve overtaking as much as they're hoping then I'd like to think DRS could be gotten rid of altogether. It's shit

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If the new regulations improve overtaking as much as they're hoping then I'd like to think DRS could be gotten rid of altogether. It's shit

It would be good.

Theres a new tactic with the current rules where you can cut a corner to get in front, then give the place back later in the lap just before the DRS detection line to enable you to cruise past under DRS.

The person getting the place given back won’t want it back right before the detection line because they’ll lose it again under DRS. At some point we’ll probably see a silly scenario with both cars slowing down before the detection line.

Edited by Genie

3 hours ago, Genie said:

It would be good.

Theres a new tactic with the current rules where you can cut a corner to get in front, then give the place back later in the lap just before the DRS detection line to enable you to cruise past under DRS.

The person getting the place given back won’t want it back right before the detection line because they’ll lose it again under DRS. At some point we’ll probably see a silly scenario with both cars slowing down before the detection line.

Well we already have in a way. That was (one of the times) why Lewis and max crashed last season

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well we already have in a way. That was (one of the times) why Lewis and max crashed last season

Ah, I forgot about that. I thought it was just Lewis day dreaming, I didn’t realise it was Max wanting to switch right before DRS detection

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

Ah, I forgot about that. I thought it was just Lewis day dreaming, I didn’t realise it was Max wanting to switch right before DRS detection

I'm not sure it was ever confirmed but that was what people were speculating about at the time

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not sure it was ever confirmed but that was what people were speculating about at the time

The radio message from Max's engineer was "so lets give the place back to Hamilton, do that strategically".

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

The radio message from Max's engineer was "so lets give the place back to Hamilton, do that strategically".

Exactly. And I imagine the reason Lewis didn't just immediately go past was because he knew about the DRS line too.

The conclusion we can all come to is DRS is shit. I get why they felt they needed it at a time when it was getting harder and harder to overtake in F1. But if the new regs make overtaking easier, which they certainly appear to already, then there's no need for DRS.

I think DRS actually discourages "proper" overtaking

• Like 3

Not really got an issue with Vegas GP, just hope the circuit is good, that's the main concern.

But it's a little strange that we now have 3 US GPs.

But I'd rather we raced there than places like Saudi Arabia

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Not really got an issue with Vegas GP, just hope the circuit is good, that's the main concern.

But it's a little strange that we now have 3 US GPs.

But I'd rather we raced there than places like Saudi Arabia

True, I’d prefer it even more if they went to existing proper race tracks.

F1’s ability to generate exciting races at “street” circuits is generally very poor. 

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

True, I’d prefer it even more if they went to existing proper race tracks.

F1’s ability to generate exciting races at “street” circuits is generally very poor. 

Yeah I agree with that to be fair. Ultimately it's down to the track, and the limitations of a street track aren't usually helpful