Aston Villa’s return to Europe: The goals

BOF

On 24/06/2008 at 11:48, BOF said:

by OutByEaster

Come the 19th July it will be 2174 days or almost six years since we last played a European tie; back then Darius was at number one in the charts and we were about to go out of the Intertoto cup against Lille.

In a months time we’ll be back. Thankfully Darius won’t.

Still too soon! RIP D

image.png.444ffde35a8b25fcc726226307d6909b.png

I assume the key is European Cup, UEFA Cup, Europa League, Super Cup, Conference League and Intertoto.?

As for seeing them I've only made one in person.

Dublin's goal against Rennes in the Intertoto Cup SF second leg 2001. Me and a mate had driven over from Wales after work and got to villa park well late, grabbed some tickets from the ticket office for the north stand before kick off and ran up the stairs just as Ginola crossed the ball IIRC and Dublin put it away. No sooner than we'd sat down we were up again celebrating straight away. We then hung on for an away goals win for 85 mins :D Villa won 2-2 and off to one of the 3 finals.

Jeebus that was 22 years ago

• Like 1

On 24/06/2008 at 17:42, kkr said:

I am surprised to see JPA and Vassell so high up the list!

Probably because all competitions have a group stage now. As long as you make it into the group, you're guaranteed 6 matches plus the knockout phase. The older players all played in knockout-only competitions...they played fewer matches, especially if they went out early.

53 minutes ago, TomC said:

Probably because all competitions have a group stage now. As long as you make it into the group, you're guaranteed 6 matches plus the knockout phase. The older players all played in knockout-only competitions...they played fewer matches, especially if they went out early.

Worth noting perhaps that we've only qualified for a group stage once before and that was 08/09 the last year of the UEFA Cup before it changed to the Europa League. It wasn't home and away but they did potentially play 4 extra matches compared to the 70's for instance and there were the 4 other games to get there via the Intertoto and the qualifying round. But we went out to CSKA Moscow in the round of 32 (damn you Wagner Love). So yeah, there's more games these days, but our numbers aren't really affected that much by group stages. Mostly because of Austria Vienna of course. Since 2000 we've only played 10 games in the UEFA proper, the rest are all in qualifying or Intertoto (or glorified qualifying as it should be remembered imho) matches. Or to put it another way that time we went out in the first round to Varteks and the 8 matches in 08/09.

Edited by VILLAMARV
numberwang
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TomC said:

As in most of the time. Haven't we only reached the quarter finals of European competition twice outside of 1982? (83 and 98 in the Uefa?)

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not sure what that has to do with Villa European scorers😜

Currently plays for Villa, was only on loan thanks to the clown, and should mean he's an option for us in some ECL games this season.

I guess in context of the thread...the point being he scored 6 for a team weaker than villa. So we should be expecting Bailey, Watkins, Diaby, et al to be getting around that number also.

35 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Currently plays for Villa, was only on loan thanks to the clown, and should mean he's an option for us in some ECL games this season.

I guess in context of the thread...the point being he scored 6 for a team weaker than villa. So we should be expecting Bailey, Watkins, Diaby, et al to be getting around that number also.

Its not the same Traore 😉

Bertrand was in Turkey last season

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its not the same Traore 😉

Bertrand was in Turkey last season

Eurrgh...oops.

Somewhere in the back of my head Ferencvaros was Turkey, and I'd convinced myself that's where he'd been... I need to stop relying on my brain, I'm old now 🤣.

Thanks for correcting my ignorance.

A great list. Note that one of the own goals was by Ivo Stas. He was signed shortly after, but retired 12 months later without playing a competitive game.

Staunton’s goal was unusual as it was from a corner. Not direct from a corner as he done before for us (like Douglas Luiz), it was towards the back end of this career and was at centre-back. Nodded it home from a few yards out. For many years he took corners, just seemed odd to see him on the end one instead.

Yorke should have had few more but for the 3 overseas player rule. Staunton, McGrath & Saunders would generally be the 3. How the system worked was very strange to me. At the time we had 4 Ireland Internationals; Irish born Staunton was an overseas player, McGrath was an English born overseas player, Townsend was English and didn’t count, while Scotland born Houghton didn’t count either!

• Like 2

Â