Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

See mate this is the new problem.

Even if we ARE better this coming season he won't get any credit for it.

It will simply be because we have signed " better players " 🤔

First question I'm sure has been done to death.

I think there is bit of paranoia creeping in here. If Gerrard brings players to the club who perform well and we win games  than that's Kudos to him. I really can't believe anyone would argue otherwise.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well it depends what he does better. Finishing 13th would be better but he wont get any praise for it and would probably be shown the door

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Are you bothered about anyone getting credit if we're winning every week?

I maintain we'll be better because we have better players, that's not saying anything outlandish.

I hope the improvement justifies the outlay in spending. I hope the performances exceed expectations and we win every game 5-0.

You see the shoots of anything you liked the look of JV? If we play 4231, Bailey could be a star this year, unsure for him if we play with the two tens or two strikers.

Question of what's actually been seen on the pitch to be positive about hasn't been answered.

What have you liked the look of to have such belief @jim?

I want success and I want to see evidence Gerrard is the man to deliver it. A confident win at Bournemouth will be a brilliant start, that's a stinker of a fixture.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

What have you seen on the pitch that's encouraged you?

The buying of a load of good players has me knowing we'll at least be better than last year.

I saw enough last season in spells to see what Gerrard is trying to do. At times we played some very slick football. 

It was never going to be a quick fix, especially given the atrocious start to the season. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I hope the improvement justifies the outlay in spending. I hope the performances exceed expectations and we win every game 5-0.

Have we spent that much really? My fag packet maths makes it around £80m on 7 1st team players since he took over so just over £11m on average. Hardly a massive outlay IMO. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the minimum expected will be a top 10 finish. 

Does 8th get the Conference League or whatever it's called?

I think it's going to be an extremely competitive season.

Alot of teams have improved, I'm even keeping an eye on Palace.

I think for alot of people, " exciting " football and not chucking games away with a whimper or with silly mistakes could go some way to winning them round.

For now, I'd like 8th ( Obviously the higher the better ) but as you say anything under top 10 is probably , rightly seen as a failure.

Just hope our kep players can stay fit and we find a good balance to be able to utilise all our best talent.

I've even got a feeling Traore could be a " dark horse " this season.

I'll be gauging on a circumstance basis though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jim said:

I saw enough last season in spells to see what Gerrard is trying to do. At times we played some very slick football. 

I must have missed most of it. 99% of the time we weren't all sat behind the ball it was very poor.

24 minutes ago, jim said:

It was never going to be a quick fix, especially given the atrocious start to the season. 

Ah right. Of course.

Gerrard was still feeling the effect of it in April and May as well. Less points in those final 11 games than we got in the first 11.

Good chance for Purslow to admit he made an error there and get in a proven manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, jim said:

Have we spent that much really? My fag packet maths makes it around £80m on 7 1st team players since he took over so just over £11m on average. Hardly a massive outlay IMO. 

Let's not forget those sneaky £120k+ salaries. They've grown to such a farcical extent across all of football you have to consider them now with signings.

Yet another reason signing younger players is quite a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Gerrard was still feeling the effect of it in April and May as well. Less points in those final 11 games than we got in the first 11.

You sure about that?

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the minimum expected will be a top 10 finish. 

7th is the very highest a team like Villa can finish, being realistic. The top 6 are comfortably well ahead of the rest, in all metrics. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Does 8th get the Conference League or whatever it's called?

I think it's going to be an extremely competitive season.

Alot of teams have improved, I'm even keeping an eye on Palace.

I think for alot of people, " exciting " football and not chucking games away with a whimper or with silly mistakes could go some way to winning them round.

For now, I'd like 8th ( Obviously the higher the better ) but as you say anything under top 10 is probably , rightly seen as a failure.

Just hope our kep players can stay fit and we find a good balance to be able to utilise all our best talent.

I've even got a feeling Traore could be a " dark horse " this season.

I'll be gauging on a circumstance basis though.

I think it goes to 7th depending on who wins the cups. 

I’d love a good cup run. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

7th is the very highest a team like Villa can finish, being realistic. The top 6 are comfortably well ahead of the rest, in all metrics. 

I reckon that’s probably the aim.  Become the best of the rest.

I think it was Digne that said it was a target.  As long as we can stay in that area all season then you never know what’s possible. Similar to Leicester and West Ham over the years. Yes they fell short in the end but they kept it interesting.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, jim said:

Fans see us spending money and forget that other teams spend money as well and have spent plenty in previous seasons. Villa don't exist in a vacuum. We're one of a number of clubs spending with the same aim of getting into the top 10. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

7th-9th would be a good season imo and probably where the hierarchy see it too.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I reckon that’s probably the aim.  Become the best of the rest.

I think it was Digne that said it was a target.  As long as we can stay in that area all season then you never know what’s possible. Similar to Leicester and West Ham over the years. Yes they fell short in the end but they kept it interesting.

Indeed. 7th will be like winning the league for us. Nice to have a cup run as well. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Fans see us spending money and forget that other teams spend money as well and have spent plenty in previous seasons. Villa don't exist in a vacuum. We're one of a number of clubs spending with the same aim of getting into the top 10. 

yes but we are smashing our wage bill in the process. Targett, Trez, Hourihane and Kalinic have been released probably combined 150k a week

Coutinho, Carlos, Augustinsson, Kamara and Olsen have signed and thats probably about 500k a week on the wage bill. Its not sustainable

Â