The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You’re assuming we’d go down if we stick with Smith which I don’t agree with.  As for Vieira it’s only 11 games, let’s see how he does over a longer period.  There are always flavour of the month managers.  

We aren’t looking for a flash in a pan or a manager like Ancelotti who will jump ship at the first chance or take a risk on a newbie manager (insert list of recent ex footballers here), surely we are past that and have better owners than that.  

The solution could be to stay the course, it will turn and we’ll come out of it than risk a massive gamble on somebody else.  Getting somebody else could be better but equally could be worse. I’m happy to stick with the devil we know given the current options on the market that we know about and who’d likely come to us.

I am assuming yes, based on our current form and our form throughout 2021 well finish around the relegation places. Have you seen anything to suggest otherwise? We’ve never had consistency in any season with Dean, any real consistency. We can’t continue giving him chances to turn it around. 

I do think we have better owners than that, and that’s why I think they’ll find a suitable replacement. 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The reason they are saying it’s not their job to say who they want is due to not being any decent options out there that would come to us.  The names that have been mentioned just don’t cut the mustard.

Again, we don’t know enough. What we do know is Dean isn’t good enough for where we want to be, and I’m sure the owners will be aware of that. 

58 minutes ago, tinker said:

People want Smith out ....none of them have a decent replacement in mind other than a bunch of chancers, failed managers who have fancy names or new managers that have no experience in management but seem like , nice blokes , strong leaders , or natural born winners.......

We have lost arguably the best player we have ever had and replaced him with two right wingers and a striker in,  a rush.

Let's have some faith and see if Smith can turn this around , it's gonna be a close call but he deserves the chance under the circumstances and taking the other options into consideration.

If we stay calm and give him and the team a chance we can pull through this. If we painic and throw it all in the air we risk starting a 5 year relegation promotion cycle with no guarantee of another pair of sugar daddies coming in to bail us out, like the last time.

For me it's Smith or bust so we may as well get behind him and the team and try and pull this around UTV and FG the fickle wnkr.

We don't wanna just survive thanks

Also when was it our job to find  manager, We only say who we think is available, we are not paid to research like someone at the club is.

He ain't turning it around this time, the teams a mess, he's still not sure what formation is best. Southampton are poor even there manager admitted it wasn't there best performance., so I'm not sure how this gives Smith a free pass to carry on and see if he can "turn it around"?

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

What we do know is Dean isn’t good enough for where we want to be, and I’m sure the owners will be aware of that. 

I’m not sure I agree that Dean isn’t good enough.

Every time we consider sacking the incumbent, everyone says "who is available that's better?"

We want someone who is proven to be good at a top level. We don't want someone who has a poor record and we don't want someone who has no record. This just is  not how things work in our position - any managerial change is a risk. 

David Moyes' stock was rock bottom when West Ham had him. Graham Potter had achieved next to nothing at Swansea. Lage on a horrible run at Benfica. 

The point is, clubs outside the top 6 generally don't go and get a 'better manager'. Any manager is a risk - Favre, Fonseca, Gerrard, Terry, whatever. Turn your nose up all you like, but that's the ball park we're playing in. We can't just choose a top of the range manager when we're balls deep in the danger zone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Every time we consider sacking the incumbent, everyone says "who is available that's better?"

We want someone who is proven to be good at a top level. We don't want someone who has a poor record and we don't want someone who has no record. This just is  not how things work in our position - any managerial change is a risk. 

David Moyes' stock was rock bottom when West Ham had him. Graham Potter had achieved next to nothing at Swansea. Lage on a horrible run at Benfica. 

The point is, clubs outside the top 6 generally don't go and get a 'better manager'. Any manager is a risk - Favre, Fonseca, Gerrard, Terry, whatever. Turn your nose up all you like, but that's the ball park we're playing in. We can't just choose a top of the range manager when we're balls deep in the danger zone. 

So the choice is to keep going on the merry go round of managers or like most moderately successful clubs, pick your horse and stick with them.  No point sacking a manager if nothing is going to change,

Hjulmand would be intriguing.

What I hope doesn't happen... because it would be effing stupid...is nothing until we lose to Brighton then we try and change things up and go into Palace with a new man and barely any training time.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Change of coaches, no Grealish. It ain't looking good for him.

Well given he wasn’t sacked today, I’m assuming  he’ll be around for a few more weeks at least given the intl break and the owners aren’t (over)reacting like some fans want.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So the choice is to keep going on the merry go round of managers or like most moderately successful clubs, pick your horse and stick with them.  No point sacking a manager if nothing is going to change,

Like he said it's a risk. We don't know it ain't gonna change with a new manager, it can't be any worse, so we need to take that risk.

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We don't wanna just survive thanks

Also when was it our job to find  manager, We only say who we think is available, we are not paid to research like someone at the club is.

He ain't turning it around this time, the teams a mess, he's still not sure what formation is best. Southampton are poor even there manager admitted it wasn't there best performance., so I'm not sure how this gives Smith a free pass to carry on and see if he can "turn it around"?

Who do you suggest takes over, simple question , I know it ain't your job but coming on here chatting shit ain't either 

Just now, nick76 said:

Well given he wasn’t sacked today, I’m assuming  he’ll be around for a few more weeks at least given the intl break and the owners aren’t (over)reacting like some fans want.

Check the stats, it's not a overreaction, it's not just about 5 games.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Like he said it's a risk. We don't know it ain't gonna change with a new manager, it can't be any worse, so we need to take that risk.

God no! Stick with Smith thanks.

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Who do you suggest takes over, simple question , I know it ain't your job but coming on here chatting shit ain't either 

Then why are you coming on here?

I'm not paid to find and sign a manager, so I have no idea. But we can't keep waiting for this turnaround every season, we will never progress any further.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Which teams in the top 10 last season had long serving managers? Liverpool and City. That even extends to the year before when you have Dyche and wilder included. The time of long serving managers has gone. Wilders actually a great example. You could argue he shouldn’t have been sacked, or maybe he reached his potential with the squad. And Sheffield wanted to progress. If you’d rather go down with Smith, or maybe even finish bottom half than try and bring someone in who could do a better job then fair enough 

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Check the stats, it's not a overreaction, it's not just about 5 games.

It is an overreaction imo.  I know the stats and the 2021 stats and the reasons to go with it.  We’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Give me the next Klopp or Guardiola and I’ll go with the change otherwise I’ll stick with Smith and ride out this current poor form, thanks.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Interested to hear who these moderately successful clubs are that betted on longevity? Out of the top 5 longest serving in the Premier League, Deano is one of them.. Bielsa another and Dyche. Are they 'successful clubs'? 

The other two are Klopp and Guardiola who fall into the 'Top 6 so can be picky about getting a better manager' category.