Premier League 2021/22 Thread

Villaphan04

53 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

3 horse race. Really is.

Have we ever seen it before? In Premier League?

Depends when you consider “the race” to begin.

The first premier league season the top three sides were level on 41 points after 23 games (Man Utd, Villa and Norwich). Fourth placed Blackburn had 38 points. 

Man Utd won it by ten points.

In 2013/14 Man City won and only finished 7 points ahead of 4th placed Arsenal.

There have been a few other years where 3 teams have been fighting for the title.

Edited by Hornso
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I'll be very surprised if anyone outside the bottom 4 right now ends up relegated, unless Everton continues to be a toxic environment

Could see Southampton going down for sure - not enough firepower in that side.  Possibly even someone like Brighton if they don't kick on again.  There's often a team that drops like a rock and Brighton could be that team this season - which, granted, would be a shame.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Could see Southampton going down for sure - not enough firepower in that side.  Possibly even someone like Brighton if they don't kick on again.  There's often a team that drops like a rock and Brighton could be that team this season - which, granted, would be a shame.

Always liked Southampton. 

Would be very happy to give them Ings on loan in January. 

There are other teams I'd rather see down. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thought tonight don't get me wrong some teams go on to get absolutely dicked but in the last month all 3 of the top 3 have let us play zero football whilst drawing but then a lot of football whilst they are a goal up

Man City, Liverpool and now Chelsea all dropped and sat off giving us a great chance to get in to the game 

All 3 lacked a real killer mentality vs us 

It's interesting with Burnley. 

They've stood still. For the last 5 years not changed a whole lot in their squad at a time where the league has been improving, and getting significantly stronger every season. 

Logically speaking they'd always get caught up, and that's exactly what seems to be happening. 

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's interesting with Burnley. 

They've stood still. For the last 5 years not changed a whole lot in their squad at a time where the league has been improving, and getting significantly stronger every season. 

Logically speaking they'd always get caught up, and that's exactly what seems to be happening. 

Then throw in the shit with the new owner 

They've not brought through any young players bar mcneill, got an ageing squad especially at the back and they've ran out of luck at GK with popes injury and return, for years they were solid there at least

Ultimately though they've bought very badly, it's probably a hard sell up there but I thought when they bought in defour and got Europe they'd do at least a bit better but they didn't, look at the sales as well as the purchases, been a long time since anyone of any quality left them too, this slump isn't because they lost 2 or 3 quality players for big money... They never had those players 

But ultimately fair play to them, they never pushed on but for a club that size its been a great PL run, horrible to watch and play but I think it's a great away game too, take the cricket club and 4k seats off them pack your exploration gear for going that far North, its a good day

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Â