Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2021/22

Rds1983

reading a lot of you guys in the top 100k/top 50k etc making me quite disappointed by my 500k finish!

what resources do you guys use to help you get these sort of results or is it purely experience/knowledge?

Just now, tomav84 said:

reading a lot of you guys in the top 100k/top 50k etc making me quite disappointed by my 500k finish!

what resources do you guys use to help you get these sort of results or is it purely experience/knowledge?

I start primarily with my own spreadsheet where I have it tailored so that I can see which teams have the kinder schedules coming up, and I can sort them any which way I choose and for as many or as few fixtures into the future as I want (i.e. short term or long term purchases). The sheet has far more bells and whistles than that, but primarily it's about spotting which clubs have good runs coming up, and making sure there are no surprises on the horizon for my own team. Doubles/blanks etc too.  That's how I decide which clubs to target and which ones to drop.

With regards to internet resources. I don't generally use them to decide on my own transfers. I tend to use them to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious, or to just stay up to speed with any trends/templates. I won't necessarily follow them unless they're no-brainers, but it's good to know about them so I can decide whether they're something to shield against or whether to go in another direction.

Of those internet resources I occasionally watch Andy on LetsTalk FPL youtube channel, and James on PlanetFPL, with the very occasional glance at Villa fan Adam Hopcroft on the Green Arrow podcast. It would mostly be Andy because his videos are shorter and therefore easier to digest, and as a result he gives you the salient players in a timely manner.

But I don't watch a lot of any of them tbh. I just keep an occasional eye on them.

Other than that it's generally being on twitter, following some of the prominent twitter accounts and picking up titbits within all the noise.

Then, armed with as much info as I think I need, I'll make a decision based on what I think my team needs. At that point it's down to experience. Knowing when to act and knowing when to hold fire. Don't chase points etc etc.

• Thanks 1

I listen to one podcast called FPL Blackbox which is pretty good. Although I only really like Mark on it. He's pretty well known as being one of the elite FPL managers (although he hasn't had a great season by his standards this season)

And FPL Twitter is a good place to get access to lots of resources. Get on there and follow a shit load of FPL accounts and you'll find the ones worth following.

And like BOF I'm a spreadsheet geek so have my own database of stats which I use to produce dashboards. Mainly for my own viewing but they're out there in the public domain (here if anyone is interested... although they're not up to date)
Generally the "Expected" stats are your friend for FPL. As a rule of thumb if you look at Expected Goal Involvement (xG + xA) per 90, choose players with high values combined with good fixtures, half the hard work is done

• Thanks 1

They are really fine margins though @tomav84 and there is a lot of luck involved. A few captains decisions and a few timely signings going one way or the other and our 2 positions could easily have been reversed. You're not a million miles off and getting in the region of ~2,350 is a very good haul indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cheers guys, yeah i just wondered if there was something people use to give an edge. i'll definitely check out the youtubers you mentioned. sounds so obvious but i don't think ive ever really looked at upcoming fixtures. i bet if i did a post mortem of my season i'm sure i probably took out an under performing player who had favourable fixtures coming up so definitely something to look at going forward

Just now, tomav84 said:

cheers guys, yeah i just wondered if there was something people use to give an edge. i'll definitely check out the youtubers you mentioned. sounds so obvious but i don't think ive ever really looked at upcoming fixtures. i bet if i did a post mortem of my season i'm sure i probably took out an under performing player who had favourable fixtures coming up so definitely something to look at going forward

Yeah it sounds obvious but it's amazing how many don't own a player at the right time, or they sell just at the wrong time having endured a torrid run.

This season has been massively skewed by the amount of postponements and as a result the number of double gameweeks. Which is evidenced in the total scores. Which just adds to BOF's point about luck being such a big factor. 

The Salah TC this season for example. GW27 I think it was when everyone TC'd him. He absolutely hauled. If you missed that then you were at a huge disadvantage

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This season has been massively skewed by the amount of postponements and as a result the number of double gameweeks. Which is evidenced in the total scores. Which just adds to BOF's point about luck being such a big factor. 

The Salah TC this season for example. GW27 I think it was when everyone TC'd him. He absolutely hauled. If you missed that then you were at a huge disadvantage

yeah i used my wildcard in GW4, taking a gamble and wanting to incorporate all 3 of salah, ronaldo and lukaku. in hindsight that was a mistake but i am still surprised lukaku was as poor as he was

My first ever season playing this, approx 3.4millionth :D 

A few examples of literally just not understanding the rules, plus a few weekends of being distracted by other things and not updating the team...Onwards and upwards to a top 1m next season!

• Like 2

On 23/05/2022 at 23:46, Davkaus said:

A few examples of literally just not understanding the rules, plus a few weekends of being distracted by other things and not updating the team...Onwards and upwards to a top 1m next season!

had a mate play for half a season before realising the captain got double points so don't beat yourself up about not fully understanding rules!

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i wonder who the 'must haves' will be this season? haaland is the obvious one that springs to mind.

Trent, Cancelo, James
Salah, Son, Bowen
Haaland

I imagine that will form the core of most people's teams at the start of the game.

But depends if they rejig anything. They sent a massive survey out to lots of players which suggests they're thinking about changes.
And I think they'll address the lack of good strikers. I wouldn't be totally surprised if players like Salah, Mane, Son etc are reclassified as forwards

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Trent, Cancelo, James
Salah, Son, Bowen
Haaland

I imagine that will form the core of most people's teams at the start of the game.

But depends if they rejig anything. They sent a massive survey out to lots of players which suggests they're thinking about changes.
And I think they'll address the lack of good strikers. I wouldn't be totally surprised if players like Salah, Mane, Son etc are reclassified as forwards

the likes of trent and james arguably should be re. classified as midfielders too

they're must haves if they stay as defenders

24 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the likes of trent and james arguably should be re. classified as midfielders too

You make Trent 9.0. He gets over 200 points. He's easily a 9 million player. You can solve 'must have' by pricing players properly.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Yeah they're a bit more tricky I think. Because they actually are defenders. I know James plays as wing back, but Trent and Cancelo are still defenders.

Whereas Salah, Mane, Son etc really aren't midfielders at all. They almost always play as part of a front 3

1 minute ago, BOF said:

You make Trent 9.0. He gets over 200 points. He's easily a 9 million player. You can solve 'must have' by pricing players properly.

Exactly. Would you rather spend 7m on Ivan Toney or Trent, Robbo, James, Cancelo etc? It's a no brainer

On 23/05/2022 at 23:46, Davkaus said:

That never changes btw :lol:One thing I'd say is always set your 'non-transfers' current team up the way you would want it straight after the deadline has passed. That way, if life gets in the way, you at least have the best team from what you already own in terms of captaincy and substitute order etc. Then you can go about making transfers and finalising your team later in the week.

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Trent, Cancelo, James
Salah, Son, Bowen
Haaland

Ugh, yeah, I really hope they do something that makes the above very difficult to do. Too template makes for a very dull game, but as we know, it can be suicide to try and go against it. Template being template for a reason.

'Template' for those who aren't familiar with how the term is used in FPL is how we refer to the most common set of purchased players in the game. Amongst the active players there'll be a core that almost everyone owns. That's the 'template'. And that template changes as the season progresses and as players fall into or out of favour.

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is my hope. There's no way they sent that out without the clear intention of making changes. The second free hit had unintended negative consequences this season but it showed they're not against or incapable of making changes to the game, and it may have even whetted their appetite to make more. The game has remained largely unchanged for donkey's years and the new Sky fantasy game by many accounts is a far superior game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

Ugh, yeah, I really hope they do something that makes the above very difficult to do. Too template makes for a very dull game, but as we know, it can be suicide to try and go against it. Template being template for a reason.

'Template' for those who aren't familiar with how the term is used in FPL is how we refer to the most common set of purchased players in the game. Amongst the active players there'll be a core that almost everyone owns. That's the 'template'. And that template changes as the season progresses and as players fall into or out of favour.

This is my hope. There's no way they sent that out without the clear intention of making changes. The second free hit had unintended negative consequences this season but it showed they're not against or incapable of making changes to the game, and it may have even whetted their appetite to make more. The game has remained largely unchanged for donkey's years and the new Sky fantasy game by many accounts is a far superior game.

Yeah they're almost certainly planning something. Although my fear is the wisdom of crowds for something like this isn't always the right solution! (See Aston Villa's current badge!)

To be honest I think a reallocation of midfielders to forwards, a price hike for players like Trent and possibly a new chip would shake things up enough. PLus actually having a season undisturbed by **** covid would be good. This season just became a "who can get the most DGW players" competiton.

Wouldn't surprise me if they give everyone an extra free hit or widlcard after the world cup though :( 

I've seen people banding around on Twitter some new scoring systems. Like the ability to spend 30 points to buy an extra wildcard and that kind of thing. I think that overcomplicates things a bit to be honest

Â