VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

On 16/12/2023 at 08:56, mjmooney said:

I doubt it. RD said in an interview something like "We got some unrecorded stuff lying around. I suppose I should have a chat with Dave sometime". He says this every couple of years, and then the likes of the Daily Mirror run with it as "Kinks to reform!!!" clickbait. 

Personally, I hope they don't, it would inevitably be a let-down. 

Ray looked pretty frail as far back as 10 years ago or so. He didn't seem like someone who'd be ready to go on tour back then, and I can't imagine he'd be now. Maybe just a studio recording and/or a small venue residency in London?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Not many rockers from the 70's look this good at age 70. :o

I have a lot of time for Stewart Copeland. Tasteful, original precision drumming with the odd explosion of power. 

He's also pretty down-to-earth for a big rock star, clearly didn't learn a thing from Sting..

Also did one of my favourite OST with Rumblefish. Its brilliance still gets a regular listening.

For lovers of Album artwork, Pink Floyd, some shit band called Wings, Led Zep and more. Documentary by Anton Corbijn 

Check out “Squaring the Circle (The Story of Hipgnosis)” on Netflix

Not watched it yet but I may remedy that shortly.

Edit: about 25 mins in right now, very good so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just to endorse @maqroll and his comments on Stewart Copeland. Great and almost unique drummer (IMO). An interesting article on YouTube about his association with TAMA drums. He basically seemed to blag a kit off them based on his time with Curved Air and then still endorsed them when he made it big with The Police.. Also explained his style of shifting the beat about by one beat without being a big head at all.

Not being argumentative, but Copeland has never come across as likeable ("to me", shouldn't have to say it, but it is the internet). He always seemed bitter and as if he was the lead character in The Police. Now don't get me wrong, its tallest midget here as I dislike all of the band and all of their music but one of my favourite things when forced to watch a Police video is Copeland's seething resentment and his inability to hide it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Not being argumentative, but Copeland has never come across as likeable ("to me", shouldn't have to say it, but it is the internet). He always seemed bitter and as if he was the lead character in The Police. Now don't get me wrong, its tallest midget here as I dislike all of the band and all of their music but one of my favourite things when forced to watch a Police video is Copeland's seething resentment and his inability to hide it.

You may well be right. My comment was simply on his drumming ability; but he certainly didn't seem too keen on Sting .( possible use of litotes here :) ) 

19 minutes ago, veloman said:

You may well be right. My comment was simply on his drumming ability; but he certainly didn't seem too keen on Sting .( possible use of litotes here :) ) 

I will give him his due, he had the measure of Sting.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I remember back in the day, the feeling that they were fake. Three musicians that were able to mimic the current popular sound and make some money.

The opposite of Blondie, a bunch of people that knew what was good, but were clueless as a band.

• Like 1

We should be thankful for The Police, if it weren't for their success, Stewarts brother Miles would never have founded IRS Records and that would mean possibly that REM, The Cramps, The Bangles and The Go-Gos would have slipped through the net. The label also gave many UK artists as US label, such as The Fall, Fine Young Cannibals, The Stranglers, The Damned, The Beat, General Public, Magazine...

I have no real opinion on Stewart Copeland but as he clearly detests Sting, I'm OK with that

• Like 3

Back in the olden days, of the late 90s someone I knew when I voiced how I felt about Sting said yeah but The Police were great, I corrected them on that. My brother in law was the biggest Police and Sting fan I have ever come across, a ridiculous completist, like Rob with the Beach Boys. Then he decided to sell it all, or in some cases give it away. Thats how I have a load of shit Sting and Police albums that remain unplayed. They formed part of a larger batch of albums of other artists that I was happy to take off his hands.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

We should be thankful for The Police, if it weren't for their success, Stewarts brother Miles would never have founded IRS Records and that would mean possibly that REM, The Cramps, The Bangles and The Go-Gos would have slipped through the net. The label also gave many UK artists as US label, such as The Fall, Fine Young Cannibals, The Stranglers, The Damned, The Beat, General Public, Magazine...

I have no real opinion on Stewart Copeland but as he clearly detests Sting, I'm OK with that

Well that I did not know.

Also on IRS for their entire recording career, The Truth. I loved that band. Being a Dennis Greaves band (Nine Below Zero) they were obviously far far better live and for a few years when the world thought Yazoo and Kajagoogoo were great, it was The Truth that kept the flame. 

Rock family tree: The Truth’s best record was recorded live at the 100 Club, recorded, pressed, and sold in 24 hours. People stayed on at the venue to pick up a vinyl copy of the gig they’d just been at. It’s their best record and a rare thing, a decent live recording. My only other ‘good’ live recording? Nine below Zero.

Who was playing bass for The Truth that night when IRS made that record, Richard Parfitt, who went on to form The 60ft Dolls. A band that was absolutely devastating live and loud. I guess he learned that from Dennis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Well that I did not know.

Also on IRS for their entire recording career, The Truth. I loved that band. Being a Dennis Greaves band (Nine Below Zero) they were obviously far far better live and for a few years when the world thought Yazoo and Kajagoogoo were great, it was The Truth that kept the flame. 

Rock family tree: The Truth’s best record was recorded live at the 100 Club, recorded, pressed, and sold in 24 hours. People stayed on at the venue to pick up a vinyl copy of the gig they’d just been at. It’s their best record and a rare thing, a decent live recording. My only other ‘good’ live recording? Nine below Zero.

Who was playing bass for The Truth that night when IRS made that record, Richard Parfitt, who went on to form The 60ft Dolls. A band that was absolutely devastating live and loud. I guess he learned that from Dennis.

60ft Dolls were kings in this house. Whilst the current Mrs D was all about GZM, SFA and the like, it was 60ft Dolls for me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

60ft Dolls were kings in this house. Whilst the current Mrs D was all about GZM, SFA and the like, it was 60ft Dolls for me. 

60ft Dolls, managed by… The Pooh Sticks.

It was a mad time, you’d see a band in a pub that were good then they’d be gone and it turned out they were now touring the States or had a chart hit in Japan or some such madness. 60ft Dolls, Super Furries, Catatonia.

’did you see TOTP’s last night? That was that girl that busks on St Mary’s Street.’

Look at this CD single, I only bought it cos the skinny kid was walking along the street with a bag of them trying to flog them, who the hell are Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci?

Novocane, Dub War, Derrero, McClusky, Helen Love, Big Leaves, it was a strange strange time for musical creativity.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

60ft Dolls, managed by… The Pooh Sticks.

It was a mad time, you’d see a band in a pub that were good then they’d be gone and it turned out they were now touring the States or had a chart hit in Japan or some such madness. 60ft Dolls, Super Furries, Catatonia.

’did you see TOTP’s last night? That was that girl that busks on St Mary’s Street.’

Look at this CD single, I only bought it cos the skinny kid was walking along the street with a bag of them trying to flog them, who the hell are Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci?

Novocane, Dub War, Derrero, McClusky, Helen Love, Big Leaves, it was a strange strange time for musical creativity.

Yeah, it was great, at one point everything coming out of Wales was gold. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Yeah, it was great, at one point everything coming out of Wales was gold. 

Shall we brush over The Lost Prophets?

There’s a new little start up ‘fanzine’ just in the offing that covers all the ‘new’ bands like Adwaith and Panic Shack and Davey Newington so I’m waiting on that to drop through the letterbox in the new year. 

• Like 2

I watched a video of Sting playing a live solo acoustic guitar set of his songs at what appeared to be his own Tuscan villa before an adoring group of other rich people drinking wine from oversized glasses. It was even worse than it sounds. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I remember back in the day, the feeling that they were fake. Three musicians that were able to mimic the current popular sound and make some money.

The opposite of Blondie, a bunch of people that knew what was good, but were clueless as a band.

They started to be described as "White reggae" when the first two albums went massive

That pissed me off no end

• Like 1

Â