Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

On 09/08/2023 at 08:07, CVByrne said:

They did, he was using the Box midfield before them and Xavi. They saw the benefits of the 3 box 3 in build up so incorporated it. Pep used a 2 3 5 and then slowly adapted as he realised he was losing to talented counter attacking players who excelled in one on ones. So he moved to a 3 2 5 and had his best 1v1 players in his back 3 which were all "CBs"

I think we have seen from pre-season Emery clearly is adding more of what he did at Villareal with a nominal  4 4 2 in defensive shape. With functional back 3 of CBs and two 6s for the 3 2 5 attacking. I think one of Moreno / Cash will play with either Konsa or Pau the opposite "full back". Then the two 6s. 

I think LM/RM is dependent to a degree on which side is the attacking fullback. We could go with a winger on the opposite side, for example Cash in RB Philogene in LM or Moreno in LB Bailey in RM. I suppose the way to think about it is how our front 5 look. Is it two 10s and a 3 or is it 1 10 and a 4. 

What I mean by it is, does the second striker play wide one side and the full back wide on the other and we've two 10s coming from LM/RM. Or do we have one 10 from LM and RM is winger so the second striker stays centrally with Watkins. There's also a variation to this too with one of the two 10s being the second striker (McGinn for example).

Options options options. 

I also think 2 CBs with Moreno and Cash is an option too when we expect to play low blocks we'll be gifted free possession in our build up phase while opposition sit deep. Every home game in ECL will be this and some in PL too I'd expect. 

We need to remember that Tactics is just one of a compendium of things to get right, to win a match.

I think UE is tactically superior to EH……but it didn’t get us the result, we wanted…..and it was not looking good before TM was tragically injured….I think we need to look a bit deeper, than tactics alone.

So with Mings and Buendia injuring their ACL, Timber from Arsenal has just confirmed in the last hour he’s done his, Militao, Courtois, a couple of Lionesses, a number of WSL players, Fofana also missing through ACL injury to just name a few currently, along with loads of players suffering serious knee issues recently from Jesus and Nkunku (who’ll be out until at least December) are we seeing more of these injuries lately or is it just more in our news because we’ve had two in the last week?

I know at the end of last season the WSL was concerned they were getting so many ACL’s, is the same in the men’s game? If so I wonder why…

41 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So with Mings and Buendia injuring their ACL, Timber from Arsenal has just confirmed in the last hour he’s done his, Militao, Courtois, a couple of Lionesses, a number of WSL players, Fofana also missing through ACL injury to just name a few currently, along with loads of players suffering serious knee issues recently from Jesus and Nkunku (who’ll be out until at least December) are we seeing more of these injuries lately or is it just more in our news because we’ve had two in the last week?

I know at the end of last season the WSL was concerned they were getting so many ACL’s, is the same in the men’s game? If so I wonder why…

To many games constant international , on top of that this season will be playing 20-30 mins extra per match.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

To many games constant international , on top of that this season will be playing 20-30 mins extra per match.

Hmmm if they were mainly players that were playing that many games I’d understand and the extra minutes has just started so players like Buendia and Mings aren’t playing loads of games, in fact their load is quite low, Fofana hasn’t played loads, the WSL don’t play loads of games….hmmm

Applying pressure is a lifestyle. I’m sure Diaby works hard and then there’s Bailey…

But hard to replace the incessant running by Buendia and JJ. 

Among other reasons, Newcastle clearly outran and outpressed us 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Applying pressure is a lifestyle. I’m sure Diaby works hard and then there’s Bailey…

Exactly, and why aren’t we being instructed to do similar. I don’t think we want to be the team Newcastle are, but it’s naive to think we’re going to pass around every team with quality players and catch them with an offside trap. 

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

And dIdn't it seem like Kamara was a bit too McTominay-style all-over-the-place-and-nowhere? It's not just about the running, but running efficiently, I was thinking.

I'd be very surprised if every team in the division (possibly excluding Man City) doesn't get a tanking by someone else this season.  There are 8 or 9 teams easily capable of scoring 4 or 5 against good teams with the players they have available.  There's a few teams that you can really see that once they get momentum going they'd be pretty hard to stop.  The better teams all seem to be set up to win games rather than sneak 1-0s - get them on a bad day and it will be tough.  Newcastle away on the opening day was a tough place to go - we won't be the only team to get beaten up there.  But they'll still be rightfully nervous of coming back to our place.  The injuries to Emi and Ty set up back and Newcastle mercilessly exploited that.

We need to not panic, put it to one side and crack on with preparing for Everton.  Win that one by a couple of goals and things will look a lot brighter.  I'm not suggesting that we ignore the match altogether - there are plenty of things to look at (for example Isak standing 2-3 yards offside all match as Newcastle always fed the ball wide and so he wasn't "interferring with play" for the initial pass but was a step or two ahead of our CBs for the ball back into the middle) but we also need to be wary of throwing everything away based on a bad day at the office.

1 hour ago, allani said:

I'd be very surprised if every team in the division (possibly excluding Man City) doesn't get a tanking by someone else this season.  There are 8 or 9 teams easily capable of scoring 4 or 5 against good teams with the players they have available.  There's a few teams that you can really see that once they get momentum going they'd be pretty hard to stop.  The better teams all seem to be set up to win games rather than sneak 1-0s - get them on a bad day and it will be tough.  Newcastle away on the opening day was a tough place to go - we won't be the only team to get beaten up there.  But they'll still be rightfully nervous of coming back to our place.  The injuries to Emi and Ty set up back and Newcastle mercilessly exploited that.

We need to not panic, put it to one side and crack on with preparing for Everton.  Win that one by a couple of goals and things will look a lot brighter.  I'm not suggesting that we ignore the match altogether - there are plenty of things to look at (for example Isak standing 2-3 yards offside all match as Newcastle always fed the ball wide and so he wasn't "interferring with play" for the initial pass but was a step or two ahead of our CBs for the ball back into the middle) but we also need to be wary of throwing everything away based on a bad day at the office.

I appreciate Howe’s adjustments. Think it was a rare game Unai was caught off guard with the shape Howe employed. Vacated the middle where we’re the strongest and relentlessly attacked our right flank. 

Think Howe is underrated because he’s English. One of the few who didn’t rise through patronage like Gerrard and Lampard and knows more than, “Fight and run.”

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 2

On 09/08/2023 at 12:59, catanzaro said:

agreed.. it will be incredibly difficult especially with our first foray into europe happening at the same time...

I don't think that is the main concern.

Our conceded goals in the 2 games against Newcastle and Brentford on the USA Tour.....and repeated again in the Newcastle game at St James, should raise questions.

When the conceded goals are studied forensically, There is a case for concern.

Tyrone Mings will be cited as a huge miss, and rightly so, but we were 2 goals down, before he went off, and the alarm bells were ringing again, like the Leicester game last season.

We cannot have any real hope of punching high, if we are intent on conceding with such ease....the trained eye, will pick up areas of concern in those reversals.

• Like 2

On 16/08/2023 at 16:55, IrishVilla10 said:

Good review. Also chat at the end about our lack of pressure on the ball higher up the pitch which I’ve been banging on about 

This where the consistency comes in......we do all that at times.....against Newcastle at Home, McGinn was like a man possessed against Dan Burn , and Ollie produced a " Master class" against Botman and Schar......but its like boxing, if you don't throw the punches, the other guy will......These things set the tone of the game, and claim the initiative....pass over, the initiative and its hard to get it back.....Our players have to dig deep and find that intensity and urgency.

Its like the famous line from Pep....."I like players who look for it  not wait for it"......that is the essence of application.

On 16/08/2023 at 16:59, DJBOB said:

Yes, but also, they were allowed to.

We have to track runners, or cut out danger from the supply, at source...too many leaving it to others.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 16/08/2023 at 22:25, DJBOB said:

I appreciate Howe’s adjustments. Think it was a rare game Unai was caught off guard with the shape Howe employed. Vacated the middle where we’re the strongest and relentlessly attacked our right flank. 

Think Howe is underrated because he’s English. One of the few who didn’t rise through patronage like Gerrard and Lampard and knows more than, “Fight and run.”

Not trying to be a smart arse, but it doesn't take an Elite football manager to spot that.....our right side was weak, and puny, there attackers down that side had nothing to fear and there confidence grew....Opponents have to fear you, one way or another.

This is not top level football intellect,here , its blindly obvious to anyone who watches our team regularly.....They tried it at Villa Park, but John McGinn was like Vinnie Jones, that day, bullying Dan Burn and nullified any threat....He set the tone for the game.

You simply cannot play with such a passive attitude or lack an intention to engage, as we did, ...... down that flank was glaringly open, we couldn't expect anything but a tanking.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Hasn’t looked good though!

Yeah against Newcastle they arguably got most of their joy after the switch. Today it made us look a bit disjointed too although that could have been all the substitutions.

Still it's obviously something Unai wants to work on considering he's trying it and hopefully it's just a case of the players getting to grips with it.

Â