Boxing Day Weekend Football 26/27 December

andykeenan

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Spurs were never going to win the title, Liverpool and the two Manchester Clubs will finish above them. They'll be doing well to finish in the top four.

If any year was their year, this would be it. Liverpool and City aren't quite at the same level they were anymore. 32 points at this stage I think is the lowest total for 1st place since Leicester's title win maybe.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If any year was their year, this would be it. Liverpool and City aren't quite at the same level they were anymore. 32 points at this stage I think is the lowest total for 1st place since Leicester's title win maybe.

Leicester were on exactly 32 points after 15 games, well done!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I disagree. There's a long way to go. 6 points off red scouse with 25 games to play, and Liverpool's backline is ravaged by injuries. The title could be anyone's at this point.

They've just dropped 12 points in the last month, 19 in total and we're not even at halfway mark. On course to finish on around 70 points which is significantly less than a couple of Pochettino seasons. Liverpool will still make 80 + points I think so Spurs can only really afford to drop another 10 points all season.

They need to have significantly better second half of the season to have a chance and when you think Son and Kane have played pretty much every minute so far in the league it's unlikely given Kane usually picks up an injury after January and that would decrease their goal output even further.

Has Mourinho ever won a major title coming from behind the pack aswell? All his league wins at Chelsea, Inter, Real Madrid have all been with commanding 10 point leads around the halfway mark IIRC. Did it in both spells at Chelsea. Problem is when you're hunting down 6-7 differences you can't just play for draws away from home all the time and they will still have likes of Leicester, Everton and Man. City away in second half of the season. And us.

Edited by VillaChris

I'm not saying they will win it, @VillaChris, but I think Liverpool will drop a lot more points, too. Their defence is on its last legs, once CL fixtures start ramping up again, I think they'll struggle. 

I tell you what I'd **** love though, almost as much as us winning it, it being a really close race then Everton taking the title away from Liverpool, it'd be hilarious. 

"Remember when we finally won the title after failing for decades?", "We don't talk about that title win". 

• Like 1

Oh yeah Liverpool were terrible today, easily their worst home performance at Anfield in about 3 years. I still suspect they'll win about 15 home games though and if they can get to 10 away wins there's 75 points right there plus the draws they've already got.

Think Leicester is only team to win league in last decade with less than 15 home wins in a season so that's usually a strong guide, even in this season where most away form is better due to BCD.

Shows how high the standard has been in last few years with Man. City winning league on 100 points and Liverpool regularly getting into 90s. Same abroad with Juventus and Real Madrid and Barca over last decade.

People think that will always happen but I much prefer leagues where teams at the top drop points regularly and everything feels closer in top half even if quality is a bit less.

Just read a quote from Sam today, apparently he said he could do what Klopp is doing at Liverpool with some of the best players in the world. Klopp can’t do what he did today with West Brom. I’d love it if Jurgen bites :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Leicester were on exactly 32 points after 15 games, well done!

Ironically that's another season that was up for grabs that they failed to take advantage of. They actually got pipped to second on the last day by Arsenal despite being the only one in the title race with Leicester that year :lol: 

• Like 1

Â