Pre-match thread

One For The Road

27 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think they're a worse side than the teams we played.

I don't think its true that Arsenal away is easier than Leeds at home.

Away to an established top 6 side who just won at Old Trafford or at home to a newly promoted side who currently sit 12th in the table.

The Leeds hype is getting ridiculous. They have had one great result. ONE! And that was against us.

Arsenal will finish miles ahead of Leeds and this is a tougher game.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Away to an established top 6 side who just won at Old Trafford or at home to a newly promoted side who currently sit 12th in the table.

The Leeds hype is getting ridiculous. They have had one great result. ONE! And that was against us.

I fancy it. Didn't fancy Leeds or Saints. It's all the timing.

Leeds more for the fact I just couldn't see us winning five in a row. And we could have.

Saints was three worldies which we won't be conceding every week.

• Like 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Leeds more for the fact I just couldn't see us winning five in a row. And we could have.

I also think we have a chance to nick a point in this one, I just think Arsenal are a much better side than Leeds. 

If we play like we did against Leeds here, we will getting thrashed again. Hopefully, we won't.

48 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I also think we have a chance to nick a point in this one, I just think Arsenal are a much better side than Leeds. 

If we play like we did against Leeds here, we will getting thrashed again. Hopefully, we won't.

I also think Arsenal are a better side than Leeds and, probably, Southampton but I think their football playing style as opposed to hard press suits us better.  We should have done the double over them last year, except for a silly period v 10 men at the Emirates.  Hopefully we will be at it from the start in this game and get closer to a Liverpool type performance than a last 30 mins v Leeds or first half v Saints.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I think we're much better suited to playing teams like Arsenal than teams like Leeds or Southampton who seem to be our kryptonite. We can't seem to handle those intense pressing teams. Arsenal are more compact and play more of a lower block and will try to keep possession more. I think it'll be 3-2 either way, kind of like last season. We really should have beat them at the Emirates.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

too simplistic In my view.

what about the 1st and 4th?.......its rare the same goals are scored every week.

55 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think we're much better suited to playing teams like Arsenal than teams like Leeds or Southampton who seem to be our kryptonite. We can't seem to handle those intense pressing teams. Arsenal are more compact and play more of a lower block and will try to keep possession more. I think it'll be 3-2 either way, kind of like last season. We really should have beat them at the Emirates.

I agree with that but my post was responding to the claim that this is an easier game than Leeds. Which I disagree with.

You say we should be beating Arsenal away, I say we really, really shouldn't be losing at home to a newly promoted side.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

what about the 1st and 4th?.......its rare the same goals are scored every week.

He said three worldies and I think this includes the 4th.

Their finishing was excellent - four shots on target and four goals.

They were the better side as well but its hard to imagine a more efficient/clinical team than Saints in the first hour from what I have seen??

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

too simplistic In my view.

First is a defensive error, then three great hits.

We won't be conceding three screamers every game, this is a fact.

I'd imagine it's rare for any side to concede three from outside the box in the same game.

We weren't good and deserved to lose regardless.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'd imagine it's rare for any side to concede three from outside the box in the same game.

We were bad defensively but I think we were still the better team. 3-2 to us would be a fair result on the balance of the game. Nothing you can do about 3 worldies from outside the box. We could definitely do something about McGinn zonally marking an area containing 6'6 Vestegaard, or conceding the free kicks in the first place though.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What about the errors leading up to those " once in a lifetime hits".....The errors were the result of poor play......errors only happen when were are under pressure and fail to exert ourselves competently......lets get to the source of the problem, the free kick is their reward for our fouls ( i.e poor play).......get a clean, concise challenge, come away with the ball, no foul, no free kick..........simple.......and do that regularly and the confidence of the opposition is dented and the initiative lost......and thats when we start playing.

There is more that goes on in a game than just the penalty boxes and I am not attempting to be smug,....In my opinion much of the mundane work that transpires around the pitch, has an effect on the confidence of a player and transfers to in the box, at both ends....We all know goals change games, I accept that.....all the more reason to deny a team scoring them.....we concede too easily in games like the last 2......far too easily.

The highlighted bit......How can it be a fact, when it hasn't happened......if errors or poor play is carried out of course it is likely we will concede, its a likelyhood, not a fact.

We wasn't good, but between us, we are trying to tie down why......We are Villa Fans, we are interested in why our team loses and what leads up to it after winning 4 on the bounce.....particularly against one team that got handsomely beaten themselves at Home shortly after...It was interesting and intriguing how they failed to impose themselves on Leicester, in the same fashion as they did with us.....Their worldclass winger on the night against us, was reduced to a championship player.....I wonder why? is my question.

29 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

He said three worldies and I think this includes the 4th.

Their finishing was excellent - four shots on target and four goals.

They were the better side as well but its hard to imagine a more efficient/clinical team than Saints in the first hour from what I have seen??

I agree Barry.

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

What about the errors leading up to those " once in a lifetime hits".....The errors were the result of poor play......errors only happen when were are under pressure and fail to exert ourselves competently......lets get to the source of the problem, the free kick is their reward for our fouls ( i.e poor play).......get a clean, concise challenge, come away with the ball, no foul, no free kick..........simple.......and do that regularly and the confidence of the opposition is dented and the initiative lost......and thats when we start playing.

There is more that goes on in a game than just the penalty boxes and I am not attempting to be smug,....In my opinion much of the mundane work that transpires around the pitch, has an effect on the confidence of a player and transfers to in the box, at both ends....We all know goals change games, I accept that.....all the more reason to deny a team scoring them.....we concede too easily in games like the last 2......far too easily.

The highlighted bit......How can it be a fact, when it hasn't happened......if errors or poor play is carried out of course it is likely we will concede, its a likelyhood, not a fact.

We wasn't good, but between us, we are trying to tie down why......We are Villa Fans, we are interested in why our team loses and what leads up to it after winning 4 on the bounce.....particularly against one team that got handsomely beaten themselves at Home shortly after...It was interesting and intriguing how they failed to impose themselves on Leicester, in the same fashion as they did with us.....Their worldclass winger on the night against us, was reduced to a championship player.....I wonder why? is my question.

To answer the bit at the end of your post... because it's football and everyone bar the very very best will suffer from some inconsistency.

Man City are 10th and we beat Liverpool 7-2, it happens. I know we want to win every game but it isn't going to happen.

Also, I'm afraid it is a fact we will not be conceding three outside the box screamers every game. The likelihood of conceding those goals is very low. Could it happen again? Yes. Will it happen every game? No.

We weren't good and deserved to lose two weeks. It's positive we probably had the better chances in both those games though.

Maybe we need to attack more and blow teams away? ;)

Our squad having no quality in depth is our biggest issue right now. It'll take time.

What we have learned from Arteta's Arsenal it's they are quite defensive in most games.

It's not a team we should fear but if we play into their hands and try to go toe to toe with them they have forward players who have the potential to destroy us.

I think they will edge it 2-1

Edited by villalad21

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What we have learned from Arteta's Arsenal it's they are quite defensive in most games.

It's not a team we should fear but if we play into their hands and try to go toe to toe with them they have forward players who have the potential to destroy us.

I think they will edge it 2-1

It is exactly the type of team you go "toe to toe" against, we just have to make sure we aren't naïve about when to commit players.