The AVFC FFP thread

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Full piece at: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/D/football/football-news/how-adidas-kit-deal-catapult-28681921

How Adidas kit deal will catapult Aston Villa into global market and help FFP calculation

" The potential for further financial growth is clear and the deal with Adidas could be worth hundreds of millions of pounds in the coming years, which can help the club's position in terms of Financial Fair Play. Villa chief Heck knows exactly how such deals can catapult clubs and franchises into the global market.

At a local level, Villa's superstore is due to double in size this summer as Heck explained: "we are going to be very, very active with merchandising."

Does anyone else find it odd that we now have a deal that the club haven't confirmed being discussed openly by the local (and presumably sanctioned) press as a matter of fact?

The communication coming out of the club is really poor at the moment - at a well run club, we either don't know about this at all yet or it's being shouted officially from the rooftops.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Does anyone else find it odd that we now have a deal that the club haven't confirmed being discussed openly by the local (and presumably sanctioned) press as a matter of fact?

The communication coming out of the club is really poor at the moment - at a well run club, we either don't know about this at all yet or it's being shouted officially from the rooftops.

I think it may all be tied in. Not defending the lack of communication that's happened since Heck has come in. But I think the badge and the Adidas are probably all tied in together so they're not going to announce one without the other.

I think the Adidas deal sounds more flexible than what we've ever had up until now. I think it's just been here's the contract, length and money. Now it sounds like they're in it for the long term and the more successful we are the more we'll potentially get. 

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Question can be put to any player leaving a Championship club and joining a top PL side. You have to back yourself at some point. 

I agree.  But Philogene was told that he had a place in our squad this season but decided he wanted more first team football.  So I'm just wondering what will have changed over the course of this season?  I think he's improved as a player (although only going by second hand accounts on that) - but has he improved enough to start for us?  If not then is he / are we more confident that he'll make more appearances off the bench or that he is better equipped to play in the case of injuries / suspensions.  I just can't see him playing as many minutes for us as he is at the moment - so at what point does fewer minutes at a higher level become better (for him) than more minutes at a decent level?  It might not be quite as simple as we might think (although presumably the fact that he's approved the buy-back clause means that he wouldn't be averse to the possibility of coming back).

9 minutes ago, MapleVilla said:

I think it may all be tied in. Not defending the lack of communication that's happened since Heck has come in. But I think the badge and the Adidas are probably all tied in together so they're not going to announce one without the other.

I don't think they're allowed to announce the Adidas deal while Castore are still paying us a fee to sell their brand - I doubt it'll be officially announced until the summer when Castore's deal expires - it's the "soft release" of info that's odd.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MapleVilla said:

I think the Adidas deal sounds more flexible than what we've ever had up until now. I think it's just been here's the contract, length and money. Now it sounds like they're in it for the long term and the more successful we are the more we'll potentially get. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the badge, kit and Adidas are all confirmed at the same time.  I think it might be frustrating for us as fans in the meantime - but also a single announcement of all three is likely to create a bigger wave of interest than three separate announcements. 

I also have a sneaky feeling (maybe more of a hope than anything else) that we might also announce a new shirt sponsor at the same time.  We've already shown that we're prepared to pay off contracts to get out of them early so it's not unfeasible that we bin the current **** early.  A big new sponsorship deal announcement in with the rest would become a pretty big story and potentially pack a real punch.  Especially if it is a big, American based sponsor - you can see exactly how much of a media boon that would be (especially with our new connections with Comcast).  Maybe I will be really disappointed when the announcements are really low-key.  But I can't help thinking that there's something much bigger happening behind the scenes than we're privy too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think they're allowed to announce the Adidas deal while Castore are still paying us a fee to sell their brand - I doubt it'll be officially announced until the summer when Castore's deal expires - it's the "soft release" of info that's odd.

Good point.  Also if my big dream of a new shirt sponsor also comes true - then again that might have the same restrictions (i.e. that we can't officially announce it before the old deal expires).  So maybe the less news we get on all of these fronts the better - because it makes a really big announcement more likely???!!  Let me dream!

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Full piece at: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-adidas-kit-deal-catapult-28681921

How Adidas kit deal will catapult Aston Villa into global market and help FFP calculation

" The potential for further financial growth is clear and the deal with Adidas could be worth hundreds of millions of pounds in the coming years, which can help the club's position in terms of Financial Fair Play. Villa chief Heck knows exactly how such deals can catapult clubs and franchises into the global market.

At a local level, Villa's superstore is due to double in size this summer as Heck explained: "we are going to be very, very active with merchandising."

Townley's gone with a bloody high number here, although naturally it is quite vague.

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it is absolutely coming from the club.  We can't release the info officially but there's nothing that directly ties us to media "speculation" or discussion (there's no way this can be speculation now).

A couple of things that I noted from the article - (1) "Celtic raised £29m in kit and merchandising revenue alone, which represented nearly a quarter of the Scottish giant's overall turnover, while Leeds recorded a similar figure in 2022" and (2) "The franchise’s (96ers) valuation was under $300m when Heck first arrived, now, it stands at over $3bn."

I have said for a while that though FFP might be a challenge short term - we've clearly fallen so far behind other teams in a number of areas that there's real potential that FFP could play into our hands really well in the next few years because there's so many more opportunities for us to grow our revenue numbers faster and higher (in percentage terms) than a lot of other clubs.  We might not match them with the overall numbers but the difference between our "now" figure and our "then" figure could be huge which would give us some real power in the transfer market.

Edited by allani
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Townley's gone with a bloody high number here, although naturally it is quite vague.

Well he does then say that Celtic's kit / merch revenues were £29m (although it's not clear whether they rose by that amount or rose to that amount) so potentially £100m every four years.

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd be hopeful we're looking at a new shirt sponsor too - preferably one that's less organised crime.

A new kit manufacturer and a new shirt sponsor announced at the same time would do wonders for our FFP projections!!!

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd be hopeful we're looking at a new shirt sponsor too - preferably one that's less organised crime.

Some rogue rumours that Coca Cola execs met with Wed Edens at the Man Utd game

58 minutes ago, allani said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the badge, kit and Adidas are all confirmed at the same time.  I think it might be frustrating for us as fans in the meantime - but also a single announcement of all three is likely to create a bigger wave of interest than three separate announcements. 

I also have a sneaky feeling (maybe more of a hope than anything else) that we might also announce a new shirt sponsor at the same time.  We've already shown that we're prepared to pay off contracts to get out of them early so it's not unfeasible that we bin the current **** early.  A big new sponsorship deal announcement in with the rest would become a pretty big story and potentially pack a real punch.  Especially if it is a big, American based sponsor - you can see exactly how much of a media boon that would be (especially with our new connections with Comcast).  Maybe I will be really disappointed when the announcements are really low-key.  But I can't help thinking that there's something much bigger happening behind the scenes than we're privy too.

I'm fairness, some Adidas design help with our badge would be useful 🤔

44 minutes ago, allani said:

Well he does then say that Celtic's kit / merch revenues were £29m (although it's not clear whether they rose by that amount or rose to that amount) so potentially £100m every four years.

That's their latest merchandising revenue figure for this year (34m euros), they've gotten those figures from that UEFA report. Their actual Adidas deal nets them £5-6m per year fwiw

I just heard Chelsea have some 5k tickets. It made me think what’s stopping owners from buying these tickets and gifting them to friends and family. I guess that would be a breach somewhere but I bet there are ways around it. 

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just heard Chelsea have some 5k tickets. It made me think what’s stopping owners from buying these tickets and gifting them to friends and family. I guess that would be a breach somewhere but I bet there are ways around it. 

I liked @OutByEaster?'s suggestion of opening the first team gym to members. It costs £100m a year, roll up, roll up.

About as legitimate as Spurs hosting NFL games and claiming money they make towards their FFP.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

About as legitimate as Spurs hosting NFL games and claiming money they make towards their FFP.

Does that happen? I didn't realise 'outside football' income counted...

1 hour ago, MSvillain said:

Some rogue rumours that Coca Cola execs met with Wed Edens at the Man Utd game

We'll know we're be back to being a big club when we have an official partner for dark brown carbonated non-alcoholic beverages within western Europe.

Â