U23 Development League 2020/2021

BOF

It's a shame Christene isn't another year further along with his development, seeing as Taylor's contract expires this summer. He's definitely got a lot about him but a bit too young and not quite ready to be Targett's understudy.

• Like 1

gotta say, when i have watched the u23 games i can honestly say i dont think Barry has particularly stood out.

Putting aside the Liverpool goal which was obviously class, but more in the u23, im not sure he looks particularly better than any of the other players, maybe im missing something.

i suppose the answer might be is he's a 17 year old playing in u23s!, which means to even look ok is good?

Edited by MaVilla

This is some of the worst aerial defending I've ever seen.

EDIT: Not for the first time with the U23s, I have to say; when we play in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy or whatever it's called these days, this seems to be their weakness against 'real' players.

Edited by HanoiVillan

2-4 We don't defend crosses well at all and when they break we're not compact enough. They look like scoring with any set piece they get.

What I will say is that I reckon there are another five goals in this game if we want it.

I think Raikhy, Chrisene and Kesler have been excellent, Barry has looked a threat and we've looked really good on the ball, but crosses are worry, we just don't have the physicality to compete for balls into our box. Revan will be a fullback and Bogarde is primarily a DM so it's hard to pin it on them individually, but it's also hard to see anything we can do about it in this game.

I'm struggling to think of a chance that Stoke have had and not scored from - there was one save where Odoni tipped a free kick (I think) over the bar.

We're had a couple of Kesler misses and one or two half chances. 

We're not out of this - but it's hard to see how we don't concede more goals.

Centre back is a problem - I'd say our first two are Bridge and Revan Snr who aren't available, then Sohna who is missing tonight would be in the mix. I don't think either of Bogarde and Revan Jnr are natural centre halves and it looks like Swinkels isn't ready yet. At this level a lot of teams make a point of having a big bloke at the back - Stoke have got one - we don't have that.

A pity Hause didn't fancy a run out!

Even when we went 2-0 up I wasn't confident of a result, as it always seems likely we're susceptible to conceding two or more goals, either from unnecessarily giving the ball away in dangerours areas, or not being very good at dealing with crosses. Basically we're not very good defensively at all.

Barry's played okay down the left-hand side, but if we're to get anything out of this feel we might have to play him through the middle,  we need as much of a goal threat in the penalty box as possible.