20 years on from the Chelsea cup final

VillaChris

Went to the game with my Dad. I would have been 20 years old. It was one of the very few games that I felt like crying afterwards. Simply because we were so **** terrible and the game was there for the taking. After being there in 94 and 96, I was quite confident we're turn up and play well. 

Last FA Cup final at the old (and better) Wembley. Still have the programme and the little flags they handed out! 

• Like 1

On 23/05/2020 at 13:43, VillaChris said:

Chelsea had the better chances. No interest obviously in watching the full game again but a few years back did have a quick look at highlights just to see if we actually had any shots.

Nothing in first half bar a long ranger from Merse straight at De Goey. In second half Chelsea were well on top before the goal. Dennis Wise had offside goal that was actually onside (James spilled that aswell) and Weah missed open goal from 5 yards. Then the goal.

In response Carbone scuffed a shot from near the penalty spot that was cleared off the line and that was it.

Chelsea at the time were used to winning cup finals, that group of players with Zola, Leboeuf and Di Matteo had won FA cup in 1997 and league cup in 98 so were used to Wembley days out whereas our group were overawed yet again on the day.

It was probably always going to be tight anyway given they'd been just 1 goal in the two league meetings that season.

2015 was a huge disappointment given around that time we could cause Arsenal trouble at the Emirates on the counter attack yet they completely nulified Benteke that day. Looking back now Gabby on the bench was also odd given his pace, was he coming back from injury at the time? Given his general record for us in big games up to 2015 it seems incredible to me he didn't start. N'zogbia was a real waste of a shirt that day and Sherwood then froze him out for the rest of his time.

Gabby was already on his terminal decline as a professional sportsman by then.  We had a lucky run to 2015 every round at home and then produced an unbelievable performance against a very average Liverpool side. Probably our best performance in the entire decade.  Unfortunately we peaked in the semi final and the last two games in the league we got hammered by Southampton and lost to Burnely at home.  We had no chance in 2015.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't understand the need to discuss a final that we lost.

Had forgotten about it and then you have to remind me about the pain.

No different to whining about losing to Bournemouth in every other post tbh.

The cup final defeat really changed the long term future of the club. Win it and we'd have probably kept the group of players happy for another few years and perhaps pushed again for a top 4-5 finish.

Instead the whole mentality of the club changed overnight and we were just happy to finish 7th or 8th in the seasons after. We slipped from being one of the top clubs around in the 90s and have never regained that status since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Terrible memory. I worked the night before until 2AM, fell asleep at 4, woke up at 7 to go watch the game at the Plough and Stars. Sat there half asleep trying to have fun but we were so shit. 

• Like 1

On 23/05/2020 at 11:47, PaulC said:

We were outclassed by Arsenal, we had a great chance of beating Chelsea and I know hes a good keeper but calamity James cost us the game. 

Nah. 
James did **** up. 

But the whole team failed to turn up that day. It was so irritating because Chelsea played crap. All we had to do was turn up and put in a decent performance and we’d have won that. 

James gets the headlines but nobody covered themselves in glory that day

• Like 1

Â