Baseball

ianrobo1

Get well soon, Remdawg

NESN announced Wednesday that Red Sox color commentator Jerry Remy is taking an indefinite leave of absence to fully recover from the effects of cancer surgery.

“I want to focus on completing my recovery so that I can return to work without distractions or interruptions,” said Remy, a former smoker who underwent surgery for lung cancer late last year.

Remy expected a more immediate return but suffered a setback due to an infection and subsequent case of pneumonia. He now hopes his experience serves as a cautionary tale about the adverse health effects of smoking.

“I hope that disclosing my bout with cancer will reinforce the dangers of smoking to every member of Red Sox Nation, especially children,” said Remy, the president of Red Sox Nation.

Remy joined the New England Sports Network in 1988 and has teamed with play-by-play announcer Don Orsillo since 2001.

“Jerry is beloved, and on behalf of everyone in Red Sox Nation, I want him to know that he is in our thoughts,” Red Sox chairman Tom Werner said. “We will sorely miss him in the broadcast, but the most important thing is that he takes all the time he needs to recover.”

Red Sox studio analyst and Hall of Fame pitcher Dennis Eckersley will join Don Orsillo in the booth during the remainder of the team’s current home stand that ends May 8. Studio analyst Dave Roberts, the former Red Sox outfielder and postseason hero, will provide color commentary during the team’s subsequent West Coast road trip that ends May 17. No decision has been made yet about who will join Orsillo in the booth beyond that date.

“As part of the NESN family, we want Jerry to concentrate on his health and getting well,” NESN president Sean McGrail said. “When he’s ready to return, his place in the booth will be waiting for him. In the meantime, we ask everyone to respect Jerry’s privacy so that he can focus fully on his recovery.”

Profile of Mr. Remy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manny banned for doping

Manny Ramirez will be suspended 50 games for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug. The Los Angeles Times was the first to report the positive test.

Ramirez issued a statement claiming that a medication he was taking triggered the positive test.

“Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy,” Ramirez said. “Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I’ve taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons.”

Ramirez’s punishment is expected to take effect for Thursday’s game against the Washington Nationals, making him eligible to return to baseball July 3.

After being traded from the Boston Red Sox to Los Angeles last season, Ramirez propelled the Dodgers to the playoffs, hitting .396 with 17 homers and 53 runs batted in after the trade. He signed a two-year, $45 million contract before this season and was hitting .348 this season with 6 homers and 20 R.B.I. in 27 games.

FLA are looking more and more common. My Braves (horrible without McCann) took two from them after today's W.

Manny News--> None of this surprises/will surprise me any more.

The suspension will cost Ramirez roughly $8 million in wages.

Dick Pound will probably jump on a 50-game (less than a third of a season) suspension as too lenient, but when you consider the financial implications, US leagues' doping penalties are probably the stiffest on Earth.

It's easy to be heavy handed retroactively. Baseball asked for this problem long ago. Got their profits during the HR record chase and will pay for it for another good bit.

• 4 weeks later...

I killed and i'm bringing it back. Braves had a huge day yesterday. Sorry to see Glavine go. But excited for Hanson. Hopefully McLouth will add some pop to the lineup.

The pennant races are starting to take shape...

Normal service resumes in the AL East: the Red Sox and Yankees are level with each other and 3 games ahead of Toronto, 5.5 ahead of Tampa and 8 in front of Baltimore (and, as usual, 4 games ahead of the Angels in the wild card). I'd almost say this division is about as predictable as the SPL, but at Tampa did win it last year.

The Royals have faded in the AL Central, and the Indians already look done (7 games behind Detroit).

The Rangers surprisingly lead the AL West (this would be their first playoff spot in a decade).

The only thing for sure in the NL East is that the Nationals are out of it. The Marlins are fading.

The NL Central has four genuine contenders right now... the Pirates and 'stros are fading. The Cardinals currently hold a game-and-a-half lead over the Mets in the wild card.

The Dodgers haven't missed a step since Manny's suspension... they could clinch the [quite possibly saddest excuse EVAR for a] division in August at this clip (9.5 ahead of the second place Giants).

At the latest report, the All-Star voting would make these players starters in the Midsummer Classic:

American League (as of June 2)

C - Joe Mauer (Twins; 360k votes ahead of the Red Sox' Jason Varitek)

1B - Kevin Youkilis (Red Sox; 94k ahead of Yankees' Mark Teixeira)

2B - Ian Kinsler (Rangers; 150k ahead of Red Sox' Dustin Pedroia)

3B - Evan Longoria (Rays; 600k ahead of Rangers' Michael Young)

SS - Derek Jeter (Yankees; 580k ahead of Rays' Jason Bartlett)

OF1 - Jason Bay (Red Sox: 350k ahead of Suzuki)

OF2 - Josh Hamilton (Rangers; 200k ahead of Suzuki)

OF3 - Ichiro Suzuki (Mariners; 28k ahead of Mariners' Ken Griffey, Jr.)

National League (as of June 1)

C - Yadier Molina (Cardinals; 160k ahead of Brewers' Jason Kendall)

1B - Albert Pujols (Cardinals; 710k ahead of Brewers' Prince Fielder)

2B - Chase Utley (Phillies; 630k ahead of Dodgers' Orlando Hudson)

3B - David Wright (Mets; 200k ahead of Nationals' Ryan Zimmerman)

SS - Hanley Ramirez (Marlins; 16k ahead of Phillies' Jimmy Rollins)

OF1 - Ryan Braun (Brewers; 130k ahead of Soriano)

OF2 - Raul Ibanez (Phillies; 43k ahead of Soriano)

OF3 - Alfonso Soriano (Cubs; 33k ahead of Mets' Carlos Beltran)

I heard or read the other day that Langoria was the leading vote-getter, which really surprised me as he's from a small-market club.

Heading down to Philly on the 4th of July for the Phillies-Mets game (just got tickets the other day). Hopefully the Mets will still be in ti by then. The wheels are coming off but fortunately we play Washington this weekend--by far the worste team in the league.

The Eastern divisions of both leagues have #1 @ #2 matchups going tonight...

back060909.jpg

sports_06092009.jpg

(the Philadelphia Daily News isn't emphasizing tonight's game in Flushing)

Yankees (Burnett starting) and Red Sox (Beckett starting) to go OVER 9 RUNS (-101 or 1.99)

Phillies (Happ starting) over the Mets (Santana starting) (+150 or 2.50)

Phillies/Mets OVER 7.5 RUNS (-105, 1.95)

This could be a big inning for the Red Sox...

2 up, 1 out, runners on first and second, and Burnett throwing more balls than strikes.

EDIT: 2nd and 3rd, two out now

Nice results; both of them. Mets are doing well to stay in the race despite all their injuries, but I think they'll have to make some moves to stay in it over the long haul.

Â