Do you think we have sufficient money to spend?

Richard

Are there restrictions on MO'Ns funds for the summer?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Are there restrictions on MO'Ns funds for the summer?

• I believe the General - We will be able to compete for more expensive players
    • I don't believe we will be able to compete for expensive players

Could I ask a MOD to add a poll please

Been mentioned across various threads and also we have the comments from The General that MON will be backed with team building funds, and that no such restrictions are in place, "Randy will do what is necessary" I believe is one of the comments.

So do you believe that we have money to spend, or do you think there are restrictions on what the manager can and cannot spend which will stop him from competing for the more expensive quality players?

poll added by Blandy

I can't make my mind up on this one I really can't. I have no reason to say we haven't, in fact everything I read from MON, Randy and The General make me believe this isn't the case. But I just find it so hard to believe that MON is sitting on a pot of gold he is refusing to spend.

P.S - I'm not sure the poll is asking the right question. We have shown we can compete for expensive players NRC and Ashley Young. The real question is can we afford to build a squad full of these sort of players and or add a couple from the next bracket up.

I can't make my mind up on this one I really can't. I have no reason to say we haven't, in fact everything I read from MON, Randy and The General make me believe this isn't the case. But I just find it so hard to believe that MON is sitting on a pot of gold he is refusing to spend

Feel the same way.. I really don't know if it is Mon or Randy...

If we had no money then why would we be considering a not-for-profit sponsorship deal with a local hospice?

It's a messageboard myth the manager hasn't spent any money. Since he's been here considerable fees have been agreed for Petrov, Davies, Young and NRC.

But then you say you can't see why MON would sit on a pot of gold, negating the fact you believe, you either do or you don't Trent!

Just because I say I can't understand why MON would sit on the cash doesn't mean I don't think he is.

I voted for the first of the two answers by the way.

Absolutely, the problem is MON not being able/capable of finding or convincing the players to join Aston Villa!

This is true as long as there is no wage structure that says we wont pay anyone over £50k a week. The only evidence of this is what I've seen so far. IF this is in place then its mighty difficult to persuade a player to join for considerably less money than another club is offering.

Absolutely, the problem is MON not being able/capable of finding or convincing the players to join Aston Villa!

Agreed. Lerner has back MON so far, and if we get European qualification I can see Lerner giving O'Neill as much as he wants. The point however is MON has tried to be prudent thus far. I really dont care about the amount spent on players, as long as we get the players we need and they are of a sufficient quality.

Do you think we have sufficient money to spend?

There's an obvious plan being tried out at the club at present and it's working to a certain degree. To continue along this path doesn't really require significant amounts of transfer money. If the club want to change direction then I believe the funds are there to do this also.

So my answer is an obvious yes.

Fair enough, so why can't you make up your mind? It's easy Randy has promised and delivered, MON has promised and hasn't... Q.E.D.

I know what your saying and a large part of my agrees. I guess in part it is that while I have never particularly liked MON as an individual I have always thought he was a good manager and still do. I also think of him as being above average in terms of intellegance for a football manager so I find it very hard to accept he would sit on the cash.

Don't get me wrong I'm not doubting Randy, far from it. I guess I fall somewhere inbetween the two camps. I believe there is plenty of money, I believe MON is a little to cautious with it but I don't believe that the well is as bottomless as some so to a degree MON's caution is though frustrating perhaps understanding.

(apologies if I'm not fully or clearly explaining this - its a hard feeling to put into words in a consise form)

Randy has supplied the money the problem lies squarely at the door of the manager. He seems reluctant to spend money and whether or not we are able to attract the top players is guesswork really. MON's relutance to spend and his apparant insistance on buying British based players is the problem IMO. The summer will tell all. Its the biggest summer I can remember as a villa fan. If the players don't arrive the fans will/may turn on the manager before the season even starts.

I think he will spend the money in the summer though, whether or not he buys the right players I am not so sure.

I Dont think we can - We Have signed Petrov and Davies Eventually along with Young for around the 8 million mark..... these players are then expected to change the fortunes of the club and make us great again but unfortunatly clubs like Tottenham are spending 16m on Darren Bent Pompey 7m on Nugent etc - they are buying players for the same money who are squad players..

In my eyes were still a level behind some clubs in the transfer stakes and we need to make more educated risks in the transfer market but i do wonder if the money is there as Surely we would of had this right back by now and im never confident of signing the next big thing or a 10m plus player....

Â