Do you think we have sufficient money to spend?

Richard

Are there restrictions on MO'Ns funds for the summer?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Are there restrictions on MO'Ns funds for the summer?

• I believe the General - We will be able to compete for more expensive players
    • I don't believe we will be able to compete for expensive players

I don't think you can say MON has been reluctant to spend money though (Young £11m, NRC £8.5m, Davies £8m) what he has been reluctant to do is bring in large numbers of players. I agree this is frustrating due to the size of the squad but I don't think people can say he has been reluctant to spend.

...my slight concern here though, is these signings are young players essentially on a learning curve... which is fine, but young players dip in form very easily and leak mental strength at times

These signings should ( Imo) have been supported by ready made impact players.

just one more opinion based more on projected ideas than on any "facts" The money is available with a two word caveat stated or assumed.... Spend Wisely. I think MON has tried to spend money with a view to long term, stable, sustainable growth, for good value. I would like for him to splash the cash a bit more freely. But if I was Randy I would appreciate that the manager is much more willing to take the moaning of know-it-all fans than to spend money like it grew out of the pitch.

3. He has spent elsewhere. Yes he has, on strengthening the fixed asset base of the club. He has spent money that will not be lost. Transfer fees are basically dependat upon players form staying the same or improving if you hope to recoup your money, and if a player plays that well then you would want to keep him or it will cost you more to replace him. No money to be made in transfer fees , only money to be lost.

Rich, excellent post apart from this point.

There is always money to be made on transfer fees.

Players are also fixed assets - though they may be regarded as intangible (or rather the cost of their registration as opposed to them physically!). In terms of the balance sheet, it doesn't matter about 'recouping' investment in players. Their reg fees are amortised over the duration of the contract and therefore any fee received for a player sold hits (net of the remaining NBV) the bottom line.

For an interesting article regarding footie finances: link.

I believe 100% what the General says. However, for me, the question isn't whether we have sufficient money to buy 'expensive' players - its whether we have the scouts in place and MON has done the research to find some gems at good price.

We will never win in the transfer market by paying 'market prices' for British talent from lesser sides - you sacrifice the strength of the pound every time. Ashley was a great signing and he's paid off, but you can't make that gamble consistently and expect it to pay off. We need to look more at Africa, South America and Eastern Europe - and I think that now that we have proper mgmt from Randy&Co. we can make it work this time.

In my opinion, if Randy says we have the money to spend, then we have the money to spend. He doesn't seem the kind of guy to lie about things as he knows he'll get found out later. I trust in the bloke, and MON is very thourough in his transfers, so I'm sure he'll bring in the right people. Well.. I hope.

I believe we do have money to spend. It's just that MON fo some odd reason doesn't want to go for quality players. Before people criticize me about how naive I am, thinking it's easy to get in good players, well, other clubs have done so.

Man City, a club in a similar situation as us got Petrov. Birmingham, got in McFadden and Zarate, a damn fine player, on loan. And Bolton, a club fighting for relegation, got in Steinsson, a right-back in the January Transfer window, who has turned out to be bloody good. Even Derby for God's sake got in Lauren Robert.

Anyway, as many as said, there are so many right-backs in the world, and MON can't find any suitable ones to play for us? Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. The reason why we have no established Right-Back is not because there are few quality ones available. It's entirely down to MON.

No disrespect to the General, but I take what he said with a grain of salt. I mean, what do you expect him to say: "No, we're not going to spend much money in the transfer window" or "Well, we might buy a few mid-level propsects from Celtic or Spurs."?

We'll see, but I don't expect any earth-shattering signings, not necessarily because we can't afford it but because for players like Bentley, for example, Villa would not be any real step up from where they already are. Villa would be a step up for players on clubs nearer the bottom of the table (e.g., NRC last year), but such players are no better than the ones we already have. Our best hope is to sign players from Europe's second-tier leagues (Portugal, Holland, France) who want to move up to a higher-quality league, but aren't yet on the radar of the big CL clubs.

3. He has spent elsewhere. Yes he has, on strengthening the fixed asset base of the club. He has spent money that will not be lost. Transfer fees are basically dependat upon players form staying the same or improving if you hope to recoup your money, and if a player plays that well then you would want to keep him or it will cost you more to replace him. No money to be made in transfer fees , only money to be lost.

Rich, excellent post apart from this point.

There is always money to be made on transfer fees.

Players are also fixed assets - though they may be regarded as intangible (or rather the cost of their registration as opposed to them physically!). In terms of the balance sheet, it doesn't matter about 'recouping' investment in players. Their reg fees are amortised over the duration of the contract and therefore any fee received for a player sold hits (net of the remaining NBV) the bottom line.

For an interesting article regarding footie finances: link.

Yes yes know all that.

Point is it is a sunk cost.

For example

Buy a player for 10M, amortise that over 4 years. Get to year three and he has performed brilliantly and leaves for 15M as he is approaching end of his deal. His book value is 2.5M (effectively) so a paper profit but we have to spend as much as 15M to replace what is then a large whole in the side.

Or he costs 10M performs shite for 3 years and we end up giving him away.

No money to be made in transfers IMO

This poll is terrible, its not about whether funds are available, we could spend 70m and not have a better squad its about finding players of quality to improve us and get them here, MON might bark up the wrong trees and end up with Prince Boateng and Michael Dawson this summer, doesn't really reflect upon Randy saying here's 70m to spend, if the manager cant find the players to spend it on why blame the chairman?

Yes yes know all that.

Point is it is a sunk cost.

For example

Buy a player for 10M, amortise that over 4 years. Get to year three and he has performed brilliantly and leaves for 15M as he is approaching end of his deal. His book value is 2.5M (effectively) so a paper profit but we have to spend as much as 15M to replace what is then a large whole in the side.

Or he costs 10M performs shite for 3 years and we end up giving him away.

No money to be made in transfers IMO

I think you have just explained why I would consider that there is always profit (in terms of P&Ls) and money to be made in transfers.

I think the money is there, but it's MON and the wage structure that could hold us back. Round pegs for round holes, when sometimes a square peg could be just as useful.

Its an interesting one me thinks!

Has the Cahill money been spent? Will the signing of Davies be included in THIS summers signings when in fact to me he belongs to last years!

We definately need strengthening in more than one position. Good players dont come cheap.

However I do belive MON is outdated he admitted in Evening mail yesterday that the game had chnaged in his absense. I do belive the money is there. How many times did MON say that he didnt want to bankrupt the club.

I really dont belive he will go mad. He is the kind of manager who will sign someone on potential ability and future potential which will more than likely mean players from the championship Ie the Leicester guy and the lad from Palace.. Im not expecting big name expensive players

For me, we have the chairman, manager and facilities. But we are not a big club and have performed well, nor played in Europe. Top players go to big clubs or for big wages. Our top player I think is on £50,000 per week, less than half of that paid by Chelski, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, West Ham and others.

We need to build each season. World class players will join clubs in the Champions League. We are not in that league (yet).

the general has said

4. YES, we want to compete with the likes of ManU. Obviously, that doesn't take place during one transfer window.

well if we all accept the General is a man of his word and he does not lie then surely the answer to this is yes over a period of time

the general has said

4. YES, we want to compete with the likes of ManU. Obviously, that doesn't take place during one transfer window. [/quote

well if we all accept the General is a man of his word and he does not lie then surely the answer to this is yes over a period of time

He's not a liar, but I'm not sure that we'll spend enough to even catch Everton this summer, never mind bridge the gap to the top 4.

Â